Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Current Average time to replace rear Diff under warranty?

Reactions
So got the bad news last night my rear differential is about ready to leave the chat. Ford is covering it but apparently the assembly is on national backorder with no ETA. Anyone else experience this lately and how long did you wait for the parts? Also being that mine is a 2020 2 bolt, can i expect it will be replaced with the same parts or will it be replaced with the newer 1 bolt?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Can’t speak to availability but if you have a 2 bolt cross member you should get a 2 bolt replacement diff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Wow. What was the problem? Surely it wasn't the diff mounts failing but something else?

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
sounds like something internal was letting go, almost felt like it was slipping.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
...Also being that mine is a 2020 2 bolt, can i expect it will be replaced with the same parts or will it be replaced with the newer 1 bolt?
All the diffs should be 2 bolt. It's the sub frame that only has 1 installed.

Reactions
And my rear diff just left the chat an hour ago.. This is the 2nd time. The first one went at 30k and now this one lasted 40k. Houston, I think we have a problem....

Reactions
This whole situation is making me think that in my case, it's time to move on from the ST. My dealer is going to cover the 2nd diff under a parts warranty, but it's looking like it's an every 30-40k mile "wear part". The 1st diff was put in last March.

I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon, and should have more info, and if they are still on back order. If it's a month wait again, this will be 3.5 months out of 30 months of total ownership that it's been at the dealer. 10k cam phasers requiring a new long block, 30k the 1st diff, 69k the second diff. I bought this thing thinking that it would have been vet'd pretty well since it's basically a police interceptor. I guess I was wrong. Being in the quality field, I didn't make a big deal about the first issues, but when the diff went a second time at roughly the same interval that's telling me this isn't an isolated failure especially since the failure mode is identical.

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Yeah I'm with you man, this is probably the final straw for me between that and the infotainment/backup camera issues Ford still can't seem to fix. I'll probably be trading it in as soon as I get back... Not sure on what yet but with no warranty I don't think I want to hang onto it that much longer.

Reactions
Any word yet? Make sure you contact Ford Corporate and hound them for an ESP. You'll probably be like me, and have the same failure in about 30k. My first went at 33k, and the second went a little further at a 36k interval. Every 4th oil change I'll be doing a rear end it seems.

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Not a peep out of the dealer or Ford... not surprising, ill probably call Ford again this week but I doubt ittl do me much if any good. No loaner either so having to borrow vehicles from folks in the interim or daily drive my Vette. Just over it at this point.

Reactions
Not a peep out of the dealer or Ford... not surprising, ill probably call Ford again this week but I doubt ittl do me much if any good. No loaner either so having to borrow vehicles from folks in the interim or daily drive my Vette. Just over it at this point.
Exact same boat. Except I'm being the customer from hell. And I'm daily driving a 1996 F250 with 322k miles on it, that doesn't owe me a damn thing.

I wish they would just buy the damn thing back for what I owe on it(which is about trade in value) and let me go somewhere else to buy something reliable at this point.

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Yeah mines gone the moment it gets back, ill probably drive from the dealership its at to another dealership to trade it in lol. Pretty infuriating to spend all this money on a vehicle to have all these dumb issues. Not saying the diff is part of that, my ST is tuned and their covering it so I can't really be to upset about that part... its just all the other shit (infotainment, sync, backup cameras)... im over it.

Reactions
Yeah mines gone the moment it gets back, ill probably drive from the dealership its at to another dealership to trade it in lol. Pretty infuriating to spend all this money on a vehicle to have all these dumb issues. Not saying the diff is part of that, my ST is tuned and their covering it so I can't really be to upset about that part... its just all the other shit (infotainment, sync, backup cameras)... im over it.
I hear that! I've been looking as well. Going to test drive a F150 with the 5.0 and a Chevy Silverado with the 3.0 Duramax tonight.

I doubt the tune is the issue. I don't really beat on mine and it still failed. I can count the number of full boost launches on 1 hand.

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
Yeah same here, I occasionally will do a highway pull here and there, I think I've only launched it twice, once tuned, and once when it was stock.

Reactions
Ford is covering half of my repair. My ST has 69k on it(first rear end failed at 33k). All told it's almost a $3k repair with half of it being out of pocket. But still no ETA.

2manycars4me

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Durango SRT Hellcat
Good luck on the repair. I got tired of the Synch issues, back up camera, intermittent electrical gremlins and lack of care from Ford. I had more recalls in two years of ownership that the past 12 years of cars. Got fed up with the last Sync issue and traded it off.
Have had my Hellcat for a little over two months and am enjoying every minute of it. A family SUV with a little punch.

Reactions
Half tempted to call the plant manager at the Chicago plant(Linkedin is your friend) and find out whats up. It's only been 2 weeks, but with no ETA and knowing that they probably have thousands of these sitting line side, it's frustrating.

My dealer hasn't escalated anything. They put in the parts order, and that's it. When I worked for John Deere, service parts took priority over production. It was a daily occurrence that someone was walking the line picking parts to send out to customers. Downtime is $$

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #18
Yeah I plan to make a few calls today and see what the hell is going on. Tired of borrowing vehicles

Reactions
After threatening to call the plant manager in Chicago, I finally got an ETA on the rear end. Looks like August 28th.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
LOL at threatening to call the plant manager. Do you really think they give a ****? That’s funny….