Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

What Have You Done To Your Explorer ST Today

Warpath

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Explorer ST
Is there any noticable difference in sound after installing the aFe intake system? I was thinking about doing the complete system as well (everything from the CAI to the charge pipe) but with such minimal gains I had a hard time pulling the trigger. From everything I've read, the stock system flows just fine unless you upgrade the turbos and start getting over 600 Hp. But now I'm hearing the change in sound is awesome. I've never had a CAI set-up make any sound so I'm guessing it has to do with the turbos. I'm just curious to hear how much different it sounds.
I haven't driven it that much yet since finishing up yesterday. So far i really do not notice that much difference.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Is there any noticable difference in sound after installing the aFe intake system? I was thinking about doing the complete system as well (everything from the CAI to the charge pipe) but with such minimal gains I had a hard time pulling the trigger. From everything I've read, the stock system flows just fine unless you upgrade the turbos and start getting over 600 Hp. But now I'm hearing the change in sound is awesome. I've never had a CAI set-up make any sound so I'm guessing it has to do with the turbos. I'm just curious to hear how much different it sounds.
I may have to get a CAI setup. Just ordered new turbos so I have to inhale more air. If I can get away with just a drop-in hi flow filter, I'll stay with that but if not, I'll be looking at the S&B intake. If it comes to that, I'll post any differences in sound.

powerboatr

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Used the explorer to test my flat tow harness for lights in the f150.
Took it a minute to see the connection, then boom had brake and turn signals at rear of f150

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
'23 Expl. ST and '24 'Stang GT Prem., Rapid Red
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
Finally got around to installing my Whipple intercooler, AFE hot side piping and momentum intake, Fenfab charge pipe, Ford black badges and UPR catch can.

View attachment 23130

View attachment 23131

View attachment 23132

View attachment 23133 View attachment 23134
NICE.
I have to put on my Whipple and am waiting for my AFE setup too. Im sticking with the stock airbox, but doing hot and cold.
How is it, feeling a difference? Did you do tune as well? (Im going stock, curious of the change)

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
The aFe strut tower brace came in from Lethal, it looks nice and subtle.
I have to say - if you run the stock brace, you might as well remove it. The flex is laughable - my wife broke out in laughter.

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
NICE.
I have to put on my Whipple and am waiting for my AFE setup too. Im sticking with the stock airbox, but doing hold and cold.
How is it, feeling a differwnce? Did you do tune as well? (Im going stock, curious of the change)
You're not going to experience any more performance with the IC or the tower brace. The IC will help your engine last longer and help prevent heat soak. It's more preventative than additional. There are many upgrades that claim more HP but that is contingent on help from other mods. A tune is your first and best bang for the buck.
There's no bottleneck with the ST's intake, exhaust, turbos and intercooler under stock conditions. All those stock parts will flow more HP as is. It's the ECU programming that keeps the power back. That's why a tune is your first line of modification for more oomph. It opens up the possibility of adding more power.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
You're not going to experience any more performance with the IC or the tower brace. The IC will help your engine last longer and help prevent heat soak. It's more preventative than additional. There are many upgrades that claim more HP but that is contingent on help from other mods. A tune is your first and best bang for the buck.
There's no bottleneck with the ST's intake, exhaust, turbos and intercooler under stock conditions. All those stock parts will flow more HP as is. It's the ECU programming that keeps the power back. That's why a tune is your first line of modification for more oomph. It opens up the possibility of adding more power.
That is all mostly true, and I'm already aware.
Honestly, the heatsoak and easing breathing was reason enough for me to do the upgrades. (Adding a tune in the future and unleashing tons of performance gives future benefits)

Can the OEM parts run at its current HP levels and above? Of course - it is the same for most powertrains.
The thing is that inefficient parts of the powertrain create parasitic HP/Tq losses, and inhibits performance of the engine at some points in the RPM range, etc.

Obviously, when you tune the engine's performance by changing the tune, you get "the most" benefit, so I wouldnt expect a lot, but there is a change.

As for changing the strut tower bar - HP doesnt influence its uaage nearly as much as hard driving/track days

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That is all mostly true, and I'm already aware.
Honestly, the heatsoak and easing breathing was reason enough for me to do the upgrades. (Adding a tune in the future and unleashing tons of performance gives future benefits)

Can the OEM parts run at its current HP levels and above? Of course - it is the same for most powertrains.
The thing is that inefficient parts of the powertrain create parasitic HP/Tq losses, and inhibits performance of the engine at some points in the RPM range, etc.

Obviously, when you tune the engine's performance by changing the tune, you get "the most" benefit, so I wouldnt expect a lot, but there is a change.

As for changing the strut tower bar - HP doesnt influence its uaage nearly as much as hard driving/track days
Yes, I'm sure you're aware of most of this. I've seen some of your posts confirming that.
And yes, if you're anticipating future upgrades/tune etc, then these other parts may contribute down the road. (so to speak)
For instance, I'll be upgrading turbos and down pipes in the future but I'll be keeping the cat back exhaust system stock only because I appreciate the quiet and in the same breath, won't at all inhibit performance even at that level. Stock exhaust will handle up to 700HP. Even out of the mouths of tuners, they don't suggest upgrading the air intake 'unless' you're going to upgraded turbo power levels or just like the looks and possibly sound of an upgraded CAI. They're not seeing the parasitic losses before that point. At least, not on the engine design. You'll run out of stock turbo before you run out of air intake.

In mentioning the strut tower bar, I'm only speaking of handling. Anyone who I've seen post here after upgrading says there's no handling difference. Most of that comes from upgraded sway bars, springs, rear subframe lockout kits etc.

gsachsel

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Many thanks to team JDM in New Jersey! Intercooler install and 93 tune today. Their passion for the ST shows. Tell your friends...

Attachments

Warpath

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Explorer ST
NICE.
I have to put on my Whipple and am waiting for my AFE setup too. Im sticking with the stock airbox, but doing hot and cold.
How is it, feeling a difference? Did you do tune as well? (Im going stock, curious of the change)
Definitely felt a difference in spool up. I drove it without a tune for a bit. Then got a ZFG tune, and man what a difference wow.

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford
Many thanks to team JDM in New Jersey! Intercooler install and 93 tune today. Their passion for the ST shows. Tell your friends...
What did they charge you ? If you don't mind sharing the cost breakdown.

Sent from my SM-T307U using Tapatalk

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
What tune did you go with? I got the 93 Performance tune and I’m definitely impressed!! Was thinking going 93 racing tune down the road but don’t know if it will make a huge difference since I’m still practically stock.

Last edited:

Warpath

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2024 Explorer ST
What tune did you go with? I got the 93 Performance tune and I’m definitely impressed!! Was thinking going 93 racing tune down the road but don’t know if it will make a huge difference since I’m still practically stock.
I went with the 93 and 91 DMS tunes. They're awesome!!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I went with the 93 and 91 DMS tunes. They're awesome!!
Agreed! 93 DMS here also. I think the DMS tunes are the way to go. Not only does it give you the most power of the tune choices but it lets you customize what mode profiles you want in your mode selector.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
It’s a little more money but I think it’s worth it to be able to tune it down when you don’t need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
This week I added a Mishimoto oil catch can, and finally installed my 2nd hand Whipple intercooler.
I also seapped the front blue oval with black while it was out. :cool:

A few things on the Whipple:
1. Rivets on the bottom of the radiator shroud are STUPID.
I drilled out the rivet holes larger, ordered a rivet nut gun and stainless hardware and installed M6 hex bolts

2. I was missing the blue nylon rings for the intercooler standoffs so I wrapped the posts in a bunch of teflon tape.

3. The Whipple also didnt come with a bolt for the MAP sensor, but the factory one threaded in.
I had it torqued down, but it still wiggled! I put a washer between the factory torx screw and the MAP sensor and it torqued down nice and snug.

4. The 10mm bolts in the wheel well for the fender, are awful. tons of loctite, and black oxide bolts lends itself to messy threads.... thankfully the bolts are set at a terrible angle, have rounded corners, and are a huge PITA

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
Turbosmart dual port BOV installed!

IMG_6071.JPG .

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Well, just yesterday I installed my whipple Intercooler into my 2023 Explorer ST. It might just be "placebo effect", but it does feel like I have more consistent power and maybe more power. So Far since December 2023, I have added a Steeda Strut tower Brace, Mishimoto catch-can, steeda vertical link brace, aFe momentum gt 5r intake, AWR Dif Brace and Lethal performance differential bolt upgrade. I have more to come in the future.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Always enjoy popping into this thread after a couple weeks. Finally had some time to tint the lights. Not sure about doing the front corners but happy with how it all turned out. Love that Lethal's kit has everything!

IMG_0032.jpg

Attachments

Last edited: