Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Concerned Owner of 50k miles 2020ST. Need help!

Vetabeles

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hey all,

I'm a concerned owner of a 2020ST with 50k miles. I took it in for the flex pipe issue and a weird sound of my driver seat when self adjusting. Took them 3 week to get me in with an appointment and then 2 weeks to diagnose. I finally got a call on Friday 9/22/23 and they gave me a massive list of items which includes: leaking oil pan, leaking axle boot, leaking differential, leaking transmission, bad flex pipes and a broken seat rail.

They declined to do the flex pipes under warranty ( I will fight this but need help from previous owners getting it covered) and they are waiting on the green light from Ford Extended Warranty to replace the broken rail. Everything else will be covered under power train warranty.

I appreciate the fact that they looked at more than what I brought it for but now I'm concerned that there may be way more stuff wrong with this car than I ever imagined. I love this car and really miss driving it but at this point Im getting concerned. Should I stick it out and wait to see how it turns out, or should I start looking at other vehicles. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the flex pipes because you are better off replacing those yourself with aftermarket midpipes if you are planning to keep the car long term. The other issues are somewhat common and once fixed should be fixed for good. I have many of those issues and don't have an extended warranty. At 75k miles and smooth sailing. I am surprised that a cracked catalytic converter pipe or two isn't on that list and would urge you to take a very close look at that.

OP
V

Vetabeles

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the insight. I will definitely have them look at the Cat pipes. I really want to keep the vehicle, it just scares me to know that all this stuff is going bad on it already.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Good luck to you. Our 2020 has had both front axles replaced and we're on our 3rd oil pan, it seems to be leak free for the moment. Currently in there because the replaced flex pipes are leaking again and it sounds like a tractor on cold start.

sdreefer619

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 EXPLORER ST
I doubt it’s the oil pan. More then likely it’s the diff leaking making it look like it’s the oil pan. Put a worm clamp over the flexible pipe and there’s your fix.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I had my left side catalytic converter replaced for the second time and same side flex pipe replaced for the first time at about 50K miles. Dealer said they were both covered under the emissions warranty. This warranty isn't widely advertised, but is tucked somewhere in the owner's manual. IMG_20230723_181053027.jpg

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I had my left side catalytic converter replaced for the second time and same side flex pipe replaced for the first time at about 50K miles. Dealer said they were both covered under the emissions warranty. This warranty isn't widely advertised, but is tucked somewhere in the owner's manual. View attachment 19775
We had our cats and flex pipes replaced about 10k miles ago, when they did the 2nd oil pan replacement. Here are pictures of the leaking from every single joint on the couplings for the exhaust. On a cooler morning, ou can see the condensation and steam coming out of every single joint. They said that's normal and they all leak on Monday 09/25. I guess we'll have to take it to the other Ford dealer in town.

Attachments

sdreefer619

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 EXPLORER ST
LOOK WHERE YOUR DIFF GOES THROUGH THE OIL PAN. THEN GET BACK TO US. ITS ONLY SEALED BY AN O-RING. FYI THERES A TSB FOR THE WORM CLAMP.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
LOOK WHERE YOUR DIFF GOES THROUGH THE OIL PAN. THEN GET BACK TO US. ITS ONLY SEALED BY AN O-RING. FYI THERES A TSB FOR THE WORM CLAMP.
Stop screaming and read. The flex pipes ARE NOT LEAKING OR RATTLING,THEY HAVE BEEN REPLACED ALREADY.

sdreefer619

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 EXPLORER ST
NOT MY FAULT PEOPLE DONT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CONDENSATION AND BLUE SMOKE. I READ IT WRONG AND IM NOT YELLING I JUST TYPE IN ALL CAPS. YOU REALLY THINK THE OIL PAN THAT TAKES A GASKET LEAKS THAT OFTEN. SILICONE MAYBE I CAN BELIEVE IT, PREPPING THE SURFACE AND ALL THAT BUT A GASKET. SOUNDS LIKE ITS MISDIAGNOSED TO ME.

sdreefer619

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 EXPLORER ST
It’s really rude that you guys are getting all butt hurt over me typing all caps. If it bothers you don’t read it. I don’t even know why I joined this forum thinking forums changed. Nope still the same.

sdreefer619

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 EXPLORER ST
IM GONNA TYPE THE WAY I WANT IF YOU DONT LIKE IT THATS TOO BAD.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Lots of children on the internet this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdreefer619

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 EXPLORER ST
That’s what I’m saying complaining over how I type it’s ridiculous.

Reactions
I have oil leaking as well. It's leaking from somewhere. Took it to my mechanic and they cleaned and washed all the bottom covers which were completely saturated in oil. They cleaned the engine bay as well but couldn't find the leak. Drove it around for a few days and took it back today. It's leaking again badly. They think it's pressure building in the crankcase that blew out and even caused the oil pan to crack and needs to be replaced.
They have to take apart everything to figure out the leak. Guy said it could be coming from the diff as well.
They want to test the pressure in the crankcase first to see of its good or not.
Looking at around 1k to fix.
Any ideas?
He asked about the mods I've done concerned about the pvc/intake.
I have the stock intake but did put on an oil catch can.

I have a few mods as well:
JLT oil catch can
SPD 3" catted DP's
Turbo smart BOV
Whipple IC
93 tune by JDM
Borla Atak catback with custom mid dual xpipe

I'm not an expert so I'm hoping someone can lend a hand with the details I provided and maybe shed some light.
Sorry I don't have any photos atm.
Tks.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have oil leaking as well. It's leaking from somewhere. Took it to my mechanic and they cleaned and washed all the bottom covers which were completely saturated in oil. They cleaned the engine bay as well but couldn't find the leak. Drove it around for a few days and took it back today. It's leaking again badly. They think it's pressure building in the crankcase that blew out and even caused the oil pan to crack and needs to be replaced.
They have to take apart everything to figure out the leak.
If your oil pan is cracked, there you go. If it's not, the front axle hub actuator leak will drip down and cover the oil pan as well. You (or your mechanic) needs to look at the driver's side after the rectangular undershield is removed.

Here's one thread:
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/leaking-oil.5533/

Reactions
If your oil pan is cracked, there you go. If it's not, the front axle hub actuator leak will drip down and cover the oil pan as well. You (or your mechanic) needs to look at the driver's side after the rectangular undershield is removed.

Here's one thread:
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/leaking-oil.5533/
Thanks a lot. Much appreciated.

Reactions
Does anyone know if Liqui Moly 5W30 full synthetic oil is good for our ST? I live in Canada and winters get very cold.
Summers are very hot.
Many people are telling me toswitch and use this motor oil. Any thoughts?
Tks.