Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Chrome on window switches

Jwbreeding

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
Yep, mine started at around 2000 miles. Pretty disappointing.

elianntx

Reactions
Same here! 8K miles. Cut my finger as well. Can they be replaced?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
yes, dealer replaced the switch assembly last week. part lb5z14529ba

bcoopersql

Reactions
I just had this happen to me. Mine is a 2020 Ford Explorer XLT and only has 11,000 miles on it. I cut my finger on the damn button and noticed that nearly all of them are doing it.

Reactions
Not happening to my Explorer yet but my wifes 2020 Escapes the exact same way... it's horrible

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
dealer will replace upon request - part lb5z14529ba

Reactions
Same problem. I am half tempted to fully commit to scrapping all of the silver off. I have two Explorers for work, both have the same problem. I went to the dealership and asked to look at another 2020 used one. Same thing was happening.

Hopefully ford makes a recall, or let’s the warranty cover manufacturer defects at some point.

Please let me know if any of you have found a solution to fixing this.

JolleyP

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The chrome on my windows switches is already peeling at 8k miles. The driver’s and passenger side switches are peeling, even though the passenger side switch is hardly ever used. Anyone else noticed this issue?
Same issue with mine

Taz

Reactions
Mine are peeling as well. First it was my front drivers side at about 4K miles. Now it's my rear drivers side which I rarely touch at all at 21K miles. I'm probably not going to do anything about it unless I have to go in for something else. The rear is peeling in one large flake. The front peeled in small sections. I never used hand sanitizers or any other lotions. I think it's just a bad bond on the plastic.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
After I cut my finger, decided to replace it. It's only a $28 dollar part (+ s/h), so did it myself out of pocket to save me time. Literally takes 5 minutes: pop the switch panel up, remove 3 screws, replace switch, reverse.

Last edited:

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
next month my vehicle will be three years old I haven’t had any problems at all no flaking or peeling.

hbalek

Reactions
next month my vehicle will be three years old I haven’t had any problems at all no flaking or peeling.
Mine is also almost 3 years old but I rarely open the windows. Literally just open the window in the drive thru or at the parking lot gate. I bet those who have peeling switches are using the switches several times a day whereas I use it less than once a day. Not making excuses for the cheaply produced interior pieces.

Last edited:

Msmith4x4

Reactions
My 2020 now has 34,000 miles. The drivers side switches both driver and rear door started peeling at 4,000 miles, replaced by dealer and no problems so far. The passenger side also stated peeling around 10,000 miles. Had it
Replace not long ago. No excessive switch use by us.

hbalek

Reactions
My 2020 now has 34,000 miles. The drivers side switches both driver and rear door started peeling at 4,000 miles, replaced by dealer and no problems so far. The passenger side also stated peeling around 10,000 miles. Had it
Replace not long ago. No excessive switch use by us.
I guess I was lucky with mine. Built 11/1/19 and almost 30,000 miles never had any switches peel. The driver's seat clicking and creaking is annoying as hell since the first 3,000 miles but I have not had it checked or fixed by the dealer yet.

20 Red ST

Reactions
I think they all peel.
Any idea if the door panel has to come off to replace the switches?
If it does I probably will just finish peeling the chrome off......

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I think they all peel.
Any idea if the door panel has to come off to replace the switches?
If it does I probably will just finish peeling the chrome off......
No, you can pop them out. I used a plastic trim tool.

Reactions
Mine chipped and cut my finger a few times, too with less than 20K miles. Dealer replaced under warranty no problem.

Reactions
Mine chipped and cut my finger a few times, too with less than 20K miles. Dealer replaced under warranty no problem.
I noticed ours the second day we had it. It hasn't peeled since we have owned it but we picked it up with 25000 and the switches had already 10% peeled.