Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Can't decide, ST or Platinum?

KegsBdry

Reactions
I took out ST on a cross country trip about a month after purchasing. Being 6’ 2”, I find seats to be uncomfortable on long trips. I was impressed with how comfortable they were on a long haul. The hp helped get around slower vehicles quickly. Overall, glad I went with the ST. My wife likes fancy stuff, and she has yet to complain about any lack luster items on the ST.
I agree with this post. Long trips are better with massage seats.

My wife might not let me get rid of this ST for another vehicle unless they have the same luxury options. :LOL:

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
My wife likes fancy stuff, and she has yet to complain about any lack luster items on the ST.
My wife isn't a "car person". She couldn't care what she rides in. Fancy or plain, as long as it gets her there. When we walked into the Ford dealer "our" RIch Copper Metallic ST was sitting there. She looked at it and very loudly said "YES". The look on the salesmans face was priceless.

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Being 6’ 2”, I find seats to be uncomfortable on long trips. I was impressed with how comfortable they were on a long haul.
???????

Jim

Staggie

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Just stating I find seats to be uncomfortable on long trips, I did them in a Fusion, Grand Am, Ram 1500, and something else.. but I found the ST ones to be comfortable.

For me, being my height, I find seats and leg room to be an issue.

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Just stating I find seats to be uncomfortable on long trips, I did them in a Fusion, Grand Am, Ram 1500, and something else.. but I found the ST ones to be comfortable.

I'm just having a hard time figuring it out.
If your seats are comfortable or uncomfortable.

Jim

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
He means he feels virtually any seat is uncomfortable on long trips but he actually found the ST’s comfortable.

Staggie

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
ST seats comfortable
Others I’ve driven cross country - not as comfortable

I hope this clears it up

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Gotcha.

Guess I was just reading wrong.

Jim

Reactions
At the same time I got the ST for me and my wife got the very comfortable and capable Lincoln Corsair.

Reactions

At 6'2" you find seats and leg room to be an issue? Heck most autos are built with the 6' man in mind. I have enough leg room in the ST, it's not as comfortable as my Ram 2500 but at 6' 10" I'm a tad out of most auto makers specs. Think auto's are bad try finding a UTV that fits a tall guy.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thanks!
I bought today!
I went with the full monty '21 ST.
Very happy on my ride home...
Great decision. I'll get my wife a Platinum, when the time comes. ST performance for me, spongy luxury for her. Win-win.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Just stating I find seats to be uncomfortable on long trips, I did them in a Fusion, Grand Am, Ram 1500, and something else.. but I found the ST ones to be comfortable. For me, being my height, I find seats and leg room to be an issue.
I agree with you. I'm 6'3 and the ST has great leg room and head clearance. The adjustability of the seats, the heating/cooling, and the massage options help keep the blood flowing on all day trips. Having driven many a rental car, the seats and leg rooms in other vehicles can definitely be an issue.

Reactions
I guess I do know. Just want to hear some details as I want to pull the trigger this week!
You can ditch the platinum because they just came out with a king ranch trim for the explorer — having said that, I’d go with the ST. If you want luxury, go with the aviator. Even the base model or Reserve, has a better interior than the Platinum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
My wife and I went back and forth between the ST and Platinum. We drove each 3 times. We kept thinking the Platinum had a slightly better ride(as it should with lower rate shocks), then we would drive an ST and think "well this feels exactly the same"... back to the platinum... hmmm... Never could get a great feeling for the ride.

The interiors in the Platinum killed it for us. The black interior with the brown upper pieces was a no go for us. So we looked at one with the tan interior... the seats were fantastic looking. We both thought from looking at pictures the rest of the interior was black... no its like 5 different shades of brown...with black carpeting. The dash was a different color brown than the head liner and obviously the seats...then the carpet was black.. I think there was at least 1 or 2 other shades of brown... then IIRC the wood grain trim is the same grey color as in the "black" interior platinum... nope... Had it had the tan seats with black everything else we probably would have done that.

So back to the ST. I didnt want to give up the big brakes and we both liked the all black interior better than either Platinum interior...

Reactions
At 6'2" you find seats and leg room to be an issue? Heck most autos are built with the 6' man in mind. I have enough leg room in the ST, it's not as comfortable as my Ram 2500 but at 6' 10" I'm a tad out of most auto makers specs. Think auto's are bad try finding a UTV that fits a tall guy.
I’m 6’4 and there is tons of room. I pick mine up on Monday. I drove it around for a few hours and was sold. I was surprised that even sitting in the back, 2 x 6’4 guys stirring passenger side front and back were fairly comfortable.

MFJL17

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I am new to Ford. I want a larger vehicle than current Outback. I go on long road trips (500 miles +).
I thought a deal on a 2020 Platinum had my name on it...until I test drove the
2021 ST. Wow! Looks cooler too with the all dark colors...less gaudy and less fancy.
But the Platinum sure does ride real comfortable... what say you?
thanks! New to this board.
I know this is an older thread but I do just want to throw this out there for anyone who stumbles across this forum like I did, and maybe it will help any future buyer make decisions a little easier. Now, in regards to the stiffer suspension and tighter steering topics, both of those facts are very true. However though, it’s not like that 24/7. If you are taking a trip and just want to cruise on a relaxing drive, with the drive mode selector, if you change it to eco, normal etc. it does allow the suspension and steering to loosen up and not quite have all the tightness/sporty feel(and not to speak for all on this ST forum, but if you’re like me, I enjoy that feeling of the ride all the time! My wife, not so much. Haha)! Also, with the eco drive mode engaged, the throttle response is slacked off quite noticeably too. Giving off more of that easier/comfortable/relaxing ride feel. Just wanted to include these tips to help! Happy days and safe travels to all the ST family!

Reactions
Vehicle
69 Mach 1
I know this is an older thread but I do just want to throw this out there for anyone who stumbles across this forum like I did, and maybe it will help any future buyer make decisions a little easier. Now, in regards to the stiffer suspension and tighter steering topics, both of those facts are very true. However though, it’s not like that 24/7. If you are taking a trip and just want to cruise on a relaxing drive, with the drive mode selector, if you change it to eco, normal etc. it does allow the suspension and steering to loosen up and not quite have all the tightness/sporty feel(and not to speak for all on this ST forum, but if you’re like me, I enjoy that feeling of the ride all the time! My wife, not so much. Haha)! Also, with the eco drive mode engaged, the throttle response is slacked off quite noticeably too. Giving off more of that easier/comfortable/relaxing ride feel. Just wanted to include these tips to help! Happy days and safe travels to all the ST family!
I don’t think changing the drive mode does anything for the the suspension settings as i think it is a passive system.

Drive mode really only changes steering, throttle, transmission shifting and FENG

But one big benefit of the ST over the Platinum or other trims is when you load up the car with passengers and luggage for a road trip.

The firmer spring rates, bigger sway bars and larger brakes make a difference in those situations, especially if you drive mountain roads and use the hitch for any bikes or cargo racks.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I don’t think changing the drive mode does anything for the the suspension settings as i think it is a passive system. ...
Correct, Passive only

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Definitely not active suspension. The steering firms up in some modes because it’s electric but the suspension is plain old shocks, struts and springs.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I usually drive in NORMAL mode the majority of the time, then switch to SPORT mode if I need that extra oomph. But Sport mode can become tiresome after a while. On long trips where fatigue might be a factor, I'll go with ECO mode for smoother throttle response.