Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Can't decide, ST or Platinum?

Kingfish

Reactions
I am new to Ford. I want a larger vehicle than current Outback. I go on long road trips (500 miles +).
I thought a deal on a 2020 Platinum had my name on it...until I test drove the
2021 ST. Wow! Looks cooler too with the all dark colors...less gaudy and less fancy.
But the Platinum sure does ride real comfortable... what say you?
thanks! New to this board.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
You’re on an ST forum. I think you can guess what we’re gonna say. lol

OP
K

Kingfish

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
You’re on an ST forum. I think you can guess what we’re gonna say. lol
I guess I do know. Just want to hear some details as I want to pull the trigger this week!

Reactions
Test drive both again. Don’t make this mistake I did. Bought and drive the xlt for a couple weeks. Went back to the ST and never looked back.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
A little less HP (40) with the Platinum and that could probably be made up with a tune. ST stands for sport tuned and that’s with respect to both HP and handling. I wouldn’t be surprised if you found the ST drives a little bit “stiffer” for lack of a better term. Most of the members on this forum are looking for just that. Platinums can be had with brighter trim package if that’s what you’re looking for. Creature comfort wise it’s a wash.

RLW

Reactions
I own a ‘17 XLT, which I really like. I also own a couple of sports cars, and appreciate power and handling characteristics. My choice to upgrade was based solely on those two features. I drove a GLE 43 AMG, but did not like the cabin experience as much as my XLT, and I just couldn’t justify the high cost. I investigated the ST, and with encouraging reports from this forum and a dealer I’ve trusted for years, I decided to order a 2021 in the exact configuration I wanted. The downside: ten weeks until delivery and I’m not known for my patience! Good luck!

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I think that I like the black trim a little better on the ST. The horsepower difference and handling is a plus also.
1613387761126.png 1613387861439.png

OP
K

Kingfish

Reactions
Thread Starter #8
A little less HP (40) with the Platinum and that could probably be made up with a tune. ST stands for sport tuned and that’s with respect to both HP and handling. I wouldn’t be surprised if you found the ST drives a little bit “stiffer” for lack of a better term. Most of the members on this forum are looking for just that. Platinums can be had with brighter trim package if that’s what you’re looking for. Creature comfort wise it’s a wash.
Thank you. very helpful. I didn't know St was short for Sport Tuned either!

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
It’s not. ST is Sport Technologies.
The Explorer ST gets stiffer struts and shocks and larger sway bars...not sure if spring rates are different.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I do not believe that to be correct. If I’m wrong I apologize. I can find comments like this on a number of automotive and Ford sites.
Then look on an actual Ford website. It’s not sport tuned.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Thanks for setting me straight.

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
@Kingfish , I guess it's what you like.
Fancy , luxury , soft ride , spongy handling , adequate power...or...

Fancy , luxury, stiffer ride, and sport car handling , lots of power.

I chose the later...it's in my geezer blood.:)

Jim

KegsBdry

Reactions
Then look on an actual Ford website. It’s not sport tuned.
It’s not. ST is Sport Technologies.
The Explorer ST gets stiffer struts and shocks and larger sway bars...not sure if spring rates are different.
This is why you can't trust the first answer you see in Google. I thought "Sports-Tuned" this was right until I did a bit more digging. It is Sport Technologies! Learned something today.

1613414749627.png

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Yes, I would lean towards getting the ST. Only thing I noticed is that my local dealer has a mess of left over 2020 Platinums and they could sway me with the right price.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Yes, I would lean towards getting the ST. Only thing I noticed is that my local dealer has a mess of left over 2020 Platinums and they could sway me with the right price.
Here's something that happened about a month ago...

I pulled up to a stoplight and gunned it on green (in sport mode). I found someone joining me in "lead foot land" but falling behind quickly. On the next light, the guy pulled up next to me and asked what version 2020 explorer mine was because his 2020 Explorer Platinum didn't move like that!

I'd say, ST all the way! There's a reason he has too many Platinums left on the lot.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I traded my 1017 Platinum for the 2020 ST and haven't regretted it for a minute. The Platinum is nice, a fie attempt at a luxury car, but the ST goes in a different direction. It's a high performance SUV, something you don't find very often. If you want luxury and comfort go with the Platinum. If you want performance, handling and the safety that comes with it. you want the ST.

Blackssr

Reactions
I am new to Ford. I want a larger vehicle than current Outback. I go on long road trips (500 miles +).
2021 ST. Wow! Looks cooler too with the all dark colors...less gaudy and less fancy.
My great grandfather loves his Platinum.. I need a daily driver that doesn't look like an old mans car. The ST fits the bill.

Reactions
I got last December both. ST for me and Platinum for my wife, both 2021 models
I previously owned Platinum

ST is nice but Platinum is "Platinum"
Platinum is just much more comfortable ride

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I got last December both. ST for me and Platinum for my wife, both 2021 models
I previously owned Platinum

ST is nice but Platinum is "Platinum"
Platinum is just much more comfortable ride
That’s why the ST has different suspension specs...it’s not for someone that wants a perfect ride. It’s for someone that wants sporty handling and appreciates the firmer ride that comes with it.

OP
K

Kingfish

Reactions
Thread Starter #20
@Kingfish , I guess it's what you like.
Fancy , luxury , soft ride , spongy handling , adequate power...or...

Fancy , luxury, stiffer ride, and sport car handling , lots of power.

I chose the later...it's in my geezer blood.:)

Jim
Thanks!
I bought today!
I went with the full monty '21 ST.
Very happy on my ride home...