Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Can't decide, ST or Platinum?

RLW

Reactions
What options did you choose/get?
Special order or from stock on hand?
Congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
K

Kingfish

Reactions
Thread Starter #22
It is carbonized gray, moon roof, "technology package" which basically means larger screen and massage front seats!
Great sound system, I almost went for the cool, larger black wheels but they wanted an extra 3k for that, so I took the very capable chrome wheels that came standard.

OP
K

Kingfish

Reactions
Thread Starter #23
I got last December both. ST for me and Platinum for my wife, both 2021 models
I previously owned Platinum

ST is nice but Platinum is "Platinum"
Platinum is just much more comfortable ride
Thank you.

RLW

Reactions
My order is for carbonized gray, street pack, no tech (I wanted the smaller landscape screen), roof rails and crossbars (I carry a ladder to the boatyard), mud guards, captains chairs in row 2, and wheel locks. Oh...and no moonroof! I have an XLT now and never open the roof. So at $1695, headroom sacrifice, and potential for issues I left it off the build sheet. I love that we can each get exactly what we want. Good luck with yours!

Reactions
It is carbonized gray, moon roof, "technology package" which basically means larger screen and massage front seats!
Great sound system, I almost went for the cool, larger black wheels but they wanted an extra 3k for that, so I took the very capable chrome wheels that came standard.
I'm curious what else was in that $3k because the street pack (21" wheels and larger brakes) is a $995 option

RLW

Reactions
I'm curious what else was in that $3k because the street pack (21" wheels and larger brakes) is a $995 option
The difference between the “Street Pack” and the “High Performance Pack” is not well described, but appears to be only brake parts. I’ve seen reference to “linings,” which I interpret as pads. Both are cross drilled rotors and red calipers, but I’ve seen nothing to indicate these parts are any different in the two “Packs.” Maybe someone else has more details.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
The difference between the “Street Pack” and the “High Performance Pack” is not well described, but appears to be only brake parts. I’ve seen reference to “linings,” which I interpret as pads. Both are cross drilled rotors and red calipers, but I’ve seen nothing to indicate these parts are any different in the two “Packs.” Maybe someone else has more details.
I'm with @boosted_st ... who the heck quoted you $3k for anything? The black 21" wheels come with two different packs. The Street pack and the HP pack. The packs are not combinable. Its one or the other. The only difference is more aggressive brake pads (which I ended up taking off because they squeak horribly) on the HP pack. As far as performance goes though--the upgraded brake system on the street pack is well worth the upgrade--for <$1000 . You get more than just black wheels with red calipers. You get upgraded/bigger rotors and upgraded/heavier calipers as well. @Kingfish --i may revisit your dealer because they may be misleading you.

Reactions

You're right, it's not documented well at all, but the only diff I could find in my research before deciding was brake pads. The larger rotors and different calipers were already part of the Street Pack. The big difference for the 2021 is that the High Performance brake pads are now installed at the factory and no longer a dealer installed option. The pads were/are like a $600 difference. I can swap them out for way less than that I'm sure if I want something more aggressive, that's why I didn't want to get the High Performance brakes.

1613577911980.png

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The high performance pack is definitely just brake pads...which can be bought from the dealer for $250.
The rotors are the same and neither are cross drilled as mentioned above.

RLW

Reactions
The rotors are the same and neither are cross drilled as mentioned above.
from fodauthority.com “ Specifically, the ST Street Pack delivers vented rotors and larger calipers front and rear, which grow 18 mm up front, and 30 mm out back compared to the stock calipers on the Explorer ST and Explorer Platinum. If that’s not enough, then Ford also offers the High Performance Package. At $1,595, the package adds performance lining to those brakes.” The term “vented rotors” led me to believe that they were cross drilled. I guess they’re not, so I stand corrected. PS: I don’t have mine yet!

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Vented as in vents and fins between the two friction surface sides.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
from fodauthority.com “ Specifically, the ST Street Pack delivers vented rotors and larger calipers front and rear, which grow 18 mm up front, and 30 mm out back compared to the stock calipers on the Explorer ST and Explorer Platinum. If that’s not enough, then Ford also offers the High Performance Package. At $1,595, the package adds performance lining to those brakes.” The term “vented rotors” led me to believe that they were cross drilled. I guess they’re not, so I stand corrected. PS: I don’t have mine yet!
Vented rotors are not cross drilled. Standard Explorers come with vented front and solid rear. The Street pack is larger, vented rotors all around.

RLW

Reactions
...so what does vented mean?

OP
K

Kingfish

Reactions
Thread Starter #37
Literally just the 4 special black wheels (they $750 per wheel according to the dealer).
This was a one off thing that the owner was demoing. I don't want them that badly to drop an extra $3k when the stock chrome wheels look great too with the carbonized gray.

Reactions
Literally just the 4 special black wheels (they $750 per wheel according to the dealer).
This was a one off thing that the owner was demoing. I don't want them that badly to drop an extra $3k when the stock chrome wheels look great too with the carbonized gray.
If they are the normal black wheels that come on the street pack then I really hope no one will be willing to pay that!!

Staggie

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I took out ST on a cross country trip about a month after purchasing. Being 6’ 2”, I find seats to be uncomfortable on long trips. I was impressed with how comfortable they were on a long haul. The hp helped get around slower vehicles quickly. Overall, glad I went with the ST. My wife likes fancy stuff, and she has yet to complain about any lack luster items on the ST.

Explorer ST Posts