Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Borla Exhaust Upgrade

Reactions
my vote is on a muffler shop to do it custom.. it’s really just my opinion, and borla is a great system, but to me aluminized steel sounds so much better.. people will say it rusts and all that noise but it’s just as good as the stock pipes.. and it costs so much less to have an exhaust made to your specs.. i got full 3” cat back.. i’m not saying it’s all about cost and whatnot, but when you really think about it, you’re paying a company like borla a lot of money for small piping and a brand name.. again, that’s just my opinion.. and you can really customize the sound rather than accepting whatever the big name company offers.. like just a resonator and no mufflers.. and so on.. just my 2 cents

Reactions
gdubz, where in south florida? if corona doesn’t bring the end of the world, i’ll be in miami beach in july..

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST (Agate Black)
gdubz, where in south florida? if corona doesn’t bring the end of the world, i’ll be in miami beach in july..
I actually work in Miami but live about 30 mins north of it... when and if you push this way let me know I’d be down to link up or at the least tell you of a few local places that’ll be worth while.

Reactions
you got it.. i usually spend a week in north miami beach and visit family around the miami area.. then head to orlando and disney and all that before driving back home to jersey.. let’s hope this virus doesn’t put a stop to my plans

Reactions
Ok guys. So I just ordered an ATAK exhaust from lethal performance, and ordered a ngauge tuner from Palm Beach Dyno. Lets see what we put together in about 2 weeks when I get the exhaust put in!

Reactions
That looks amazing . I would love to hear what this thing sounds like from the outside . Is it completely obnoxious or does it give it the right amount of growl ? I was considering doing the straight 3" with some kind small muffler for sound change .

QwikEVO

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
I bet that'd sound amazing with a resonator inline...

Reactions
I would have to hear it rolling from the outside to figure out what i want to try .

What do you guys suggest for a muffler ?

QwikEVO

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
I would have to hear it rolling from the outside to figure out what i want to try .

What do you guys suggest for a muffler ?
Magnaflow? Borlas have always been super raspy on most platforms I've heard them on.

Reactions
Magnaflow? Borlas have always been super raspy on most platforms I've heard them on.
Let me do some research . Its hard to find a good sounding muffler for our platform because nobody has the 3L for reference . I was doing some research on the ecoboost Mustang but that's a 4 and i know the sound would change a bit .

Reactions
i’ll see if the wife wants to make a filming debut later.. it’s pretty obnoxious.. sounds different throughout the rpm range.. can be a deep growl at low speed in a higher gear when you give it some throttle.. as soon as it downshifts, it screams.. starting to hear intermittent pops, depending on how hard i drive it and immediately go into a slower street speed.. i’m sure as soon as i fill up with 93 and change the tune, it’ll pop a lot more on deceleration..

KegsBdry

Reactions
Going through the Borla website that has these exhausts for the Explorer ST.

Does anyone prefer the S-Type over the ATAK? I'm a fan of that old muscle car (i know, V8s sound different) low growl sound. Is that what the S-Type is supposed to offer?

But I figure, if you are going to pay over $2K for a Catback...you better go big!