Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Borla Exhaust Upgrade

Reactions
Got my Borla installed yesterday. Here are a few iphone vids I took real quick. I like the sound. Only noted a very mild drone around 50 mph if you are chugging along in 8th gear. It is very mild and only noticeable if you are listening for it with the radio off. http://instagr.am/p/B9Z3HMaJSzP/

tc3driver

Reactions
There is so much that goes into exhaust tuning, Especially for sound, the materials used, bends, length, and diameter all have to do with the performance and sound produced. There are V6s that sound great (early 350z with stock exhaust comes to mind, or most of the GM V6s from the early to mid 90's is another that comes to mind). Ours have an extra wrench thrown in for sound in that they are turbo charged, which serves to both muffle and blend sound making it even more difficult to make them sound "good", add in the need to fit into stock locations and hangers it is a tough row to hoe to change the sounds to something more appealing. I appreciate that people are doing exhausts for this vehicle, I am going to wait until a couple others come out before making a decision. Those that have them, thank you for being the proverbial sacrificial lambs. I, for one, hope you enjoy the hell out of them :). I actually do think that they sound good in this instance :)

QwikEVO

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
There are V6s that sound great (early 350z with stock exhaust comes to mind,
If you think VQ's with exhaust sound good, then I can see why you think the Borla ST exhaust sounds good...lol

I have yet to hear a good sounding VQ exhaust ever. They sound like blatting low brass instruments.

Reactions
Disappointing sound. Like an imported 6 cyl. compact with phart can exhaust can.
I am not offended but I do think that it sounds good in person. That video was posted immediately after the install and the sound has actually improved as its breaking in BUT....It DOES sound like a V6. If you want a V6 to sound like a V8 your are kidding yourself. It never will. Go buy a MOPAR if you want a mid sized SUV with a V8 because that is your option.

tc3driver

Reactions
If you think VQ's with exhaust sound good, then I can see why you think the Borla ST exhaust sounds good...lol

I have yet to hear a good sounding VQ exhaust ever. They sound like blatting low brass instruments.

Different Strokes for different folks... I personally think they (VQ) sound terrible with aftermarket exhaust... but love them in stock form.

Reactions
Hi, does anyone have any info on which Borla Muffler would be a good fit for the ST? Just trying to change the outside note. Don't want to do the whole Cat-Back thing

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST (Agate Black)
Here's a cold start video of my Borla ATAK exhaust.... I'll try to post some other videos of the interior noise as well as both local and highway driving in the next few days. In person it's not as loud as most Borla ATAK systems and in all honesty I gambled and decided to go w/ the (normally) more aggressive sounding ATAK as oppose to the S-Type bc I haven't really seen many people w/ it and I'm happy with the results. Being that it's a "performance" SUV after the upgrade it actually feels like it finally has a commanding presence now on the road.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
Before and after pictures of the stock exhaust vs the new Borla ATAK in Black Chrome.

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
nice.. sounds better than the videos borla made.
Thank you the video really doesn't do it much justice... Once this corona virus gets under control I'll be sure to provide more content that will hopefully help people decide on what type of exhaust to get for themselves.

KegsBdry

Reactions
What's the chances of Ford Performance making a nice exhaust? (For those that do not want to void the warranty....juuust yet)

Reactions
Vehicle
What's the chances of Ford Performance making a nice exhaust? (For those that do not want to void the warranty....juuust yet)
I'm not sure if or when Ford Performance will adapt there own exhaust system but just wanted to let you know that the Borla system does not void your factory warranty. Below is a expert from their FAQ section as well as a direct link to it.

BORLA FAQ LINK

Q. Will it void my factory warranty?
All Borla street Cat-Back™s, Rear Sections, and Mufflers are 50-state emissions legal. These systems will NOT void your factory warranty, some cars even have Borla systems as the OEM exhaust. In fact, it is illegal for a dealer to deny you the OE warranty because you have changed the exhaust system.
If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact EPA at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov.

Not sure if any of that helps, just wanted to share b/c I had the same concerns prior to purchasing my exhaust.

KegsBdry

Reactions
I'm not sure if or when Ford Performance will adapt there own exhaust system but just wanted to let you know that the Borla system does not void your factory warranty. Below is a expert from their FAQ section as well as a direct link to it.

BORLA FAQ LINK

Q. Will it void my factory warranty?
All Borla street Cat-Back™s, Rear Sections, and Mufflers are 50-state emissions legal. These systems will NOT void your factory warranty, some cars even have Borla systems as the OEM exhaust. In fact, it is illegal for a dealer to deny you the OE warranty because you have changed the exhaust system.
If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact EPA at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov.

Not sure if any of that helps, just wanted to share b/c I had the same concerns prior to purchasing my exhaust.

I was under the impression that any NON-FORD made part added to the vehicle voids the warranty. That is, if particular things breaks on your Ford, Ford may find a way to wiggle out of paying for it. Has anyone verified this from calling Ford yet?

Reactions
just the stock catback system is in three pieces.. so if all you want is to replace the muffler and tailpipe section, you’re going to have to cut the stock one to do so.. at that point, is it worth the hassle?

E96EA13C-58FF-4193-99F4-7CA1CAEF491A.jpeg

Explorer ST Posts