Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Borla Exhaust Upgrade

QwikEVO

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions

tc3driver

Reactions
I had a 2003 focus PZEV, intake, exhaust... bla bla bla... at about 40k miles it spun a bearing... Ford gave me no issues on a replacement motor (it took about 4 weeks, because they wanted to send one of their inspectors out)... The tech told me that the engine looked like it had 3000 miles on it, I am anal on my oil changes. They have to prove it is the cause of the problem. I think this gets a bad rap with the older MAF Sensors getting gummed up by K&N filter oil from people who over oil the filters. To save face they say "$MANUFACTURER Voided my warranty because I put an aftermarket air filter on it and bla bla bla" When in reality they Dealer/Manufacturer said we can't cover this under warranty because your filter gummed up the MAF. Other like experiences would have only added to the fuel. Tunes, those are a horse of a different color. They can black list your VIN if you have or had a tune and it caused issues, that is if they spot it.

Reactions
Agreed. It's very hard to make a V6 sound good.

For the money spent on this system, it's definitely disappointing.
I just saw your negative critique on my BOV install and now i read here you talking about this guys new exhaust . Like i said in the other thread....i thought i left FerrariChat !
just shit all over this guy’s new exhaust.. and it’s not cheap

i’m an aluminized steel straight pipe guy myself.. i guess i’m gonna have to have something made custom by a local shop
It's funny to see people that buy the same vehicle and when others try and improve on it , they speak negatively about their efforts . They are never going to make this vehicle sound like a V8 no matter how hard they try . I'm really leaning towards the ATAK setup for mine . I was also considering the MBRP Race Black Series for the Ecoboost Mustang and chop it up to fit .

QwikEVO

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
I just saw your negative critique on my BOV install and now i read here you talking about this guys new exhaust . Like i said in the other thread....i thought i left FerrariChat !

It's funny to see people that buy the same vehicle and when others try and improve on it , they speak negatively about their efforts . They are never going to make this vehicle sound like a V8 no matter how hard they try . I'm really leaning towards the ATAK setup for mine . I was also considering the MBRP Race Black Series for the Ecoboost Mustang and chop it up to fit .
You seem to get your feelings hurt easily.

Maybe the internet isn't for you.

Reactions

I've seen a lot of negative and immature behavior and commentary here. I've been a member of tons of different car forums and never saw something like this before. Not sure why this isn't a cheap car, not like we are dealing with kids here, but a-holes are a-holes I suppose.

Hopefully it's a few negative people and as the forum grows we get some more open minded people.

Reactions
i was actually defending the guy when i said we all shit on his decision to get the borla.. we all have the opportubity to mod our cars to our liking.. i’ll try to be more clear in the future.. and i also pledge to not be an immature a-hole ;)

Reactions
I've seen a lot of negative and immature behavior and commentary here. I've been a member of tons of different car forums and never saw something like this before. Not sure why this isn't a cheap car, not like we are dealing with kids here, but a-holes are a-holes I suppose.

Hopefully it's a few negative people and as the forum grows we get some more open minded people.
Most forums that I’ve been on do have these periodic pissing contests; Corvette, Mercedes and Harley. I just try to ignore them although these two guys are going at it on two different threads LOL!

Reactions
The drama makes it harder to get to the content, become friends and PM each other guys.

Those straight pipes sound pretty darn good.

Reactions
The drama makes it harder to get to the content, become friends and PM each other guys.

Those straight pipes sound pretty darn good.
Amen! To each his/her own... Let's just try to be objective and positive in our commentary.
My question from before to which I really haven't received a helpful response was : What would your advice be on just replacing the OEM cans for a Borla product and which Borla Muffler would be the best choice..
Thank you in advance for any help

Reactions
Amen! To each his/her own... Let's just try to be objective and positive in our commentary.
My question from before to which I really haven't received a helpful response was : What would your advice be on just replacing the OEM cans for a Borla product and which Borla Muffler would be the best choice..
My guess is it might be difficult if you are looking for the same sound out of the "muffler only" setup as opposed to the full exhaust . You can probably get close . I'm no expert or scientist , but would guess they made these for the perfect sound and performance for this platform . Although , it would be a million times cheaper to just buy some mufflers if you are just looking for a sound change .

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST (Agate Black)
I'm not really sure what the best route/option would be because the sounds can vary so much and it really comes down to personal preference but just wanted to chime in seeing how it's still a lingering issue for ya. I think reaching out to a local exhaust shop and telling them your ideas and what you're looking to achieve will go a long way. Seeing how they deal with this stuff day in and day out I'm sure they'd be more than knowledgable on all options available. I'm in South Florida and we have a really good exhaust shop called GExhaust. I'm sure there's many nation wide but I'll link the one I know of and can recommend.

GExhaust S. FL

If you do reach out to them G or Jay are very knowledgable and guide you in the right direction. They do great work and are well known in this area. Also check out their IG for various installation videos they've done.

Hope it helps.

Reactions
I'm not really sure what the best route/option would be because the sounds can vary so much and it really comes down to personal preference but just wanted to chime in seeing how it's still a lingering issue for ya. I think reaching out to a local exhaust shop and telling them your ideas and what you're looking to achieve will go a long way. Seeing how they deal with this stuff day in and day out I'm sure they'd be more than knowledgable on all options available. I'm in South Florida and we have a really good exhaust shop called GExhaust. I'm sure there's many nation wide but I'll link the one I know of and can recommend.

GExhaust S. FL

If you do reach out to them G or Jay are very knowledgable and guide you in the right direction. They do great work and are well known in this area. Also check out their IG for various installation videos they've done.

Hope it helps.
Sorry to change the subject but how long until we get some rolling videos of your ATAK ?

Reactions

GExhaust S. FL

Hope it helps.
Thank you... Great advice!
I was just wandering if any of the forum members have done this specific exhaust Muffler only swap,and can share their experience.
I am in Vancouver, Canada and our "specialty muffler" are scarce..

Reactions
Vehicle
Sorry to change the subject but how long until we get some rolling videos of your ATAK ?
Lol, let me try and post what I took quickly over the weekend.... it's kinda hard to record outside the cabin or even with the windows rolled down bc of the wind. I'd like to capture it with my GoPro instead of my phone but stay tuned I'll post what I took in the next 30mins

Reactions
Vehicle
As stated earlier, these videos really aren't the greatest quality seeing how they were taken w/ my phone.... I'll try and post some higher quality videos that do the exhaust more justice using my GoPro and a wind filter once all this virus stuff calms down a bit.

Attachments

Reactions
Pretty sure i'm going with the ATAK setup . Doesn't really sound that there is a huge difference between the S-Type and ATAK . Coming from a LTH , Stage 3 supercharged C63 AMG , noise is not an issue for me ;)

Reactions
Vehicle
Pretty sure i'm going with the ATAK setup . Doesn't really sound that there is a huge difference between the S-Type and ATAK . Coming from a LTH , Stage 3 supercharged C63 AMG , noise is not an issue for me ;)
Judging from your Benz you'll def be happier with the ATAK...