Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

BEWARE: Driveshaft kaboom from emergency auto-brake

Reactions
August 2021 with one bolt on bs of subframe

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I've yet to hear of any builds say post-March dates that have the 2/4 bolt models.

Reactions
I'm just copying and pasting this from another thread that I typed it in..

"This just confirmed all of the research I did while working. Put my head together with my favorite parts guy.

My 2021 ST with a build date of March in Chicago.

My ST was BUILT with subframe part number: MB5Z-5035D ... I will get under my ST and find the part number hopefully on the subframe to confirm but that is the part that was used in my specific build at the Chicago plant.

That MB5Z-5035D subframe is for the 3.3NA hybrid motor for the Limited.

The correct subframe that my VIN number is calling for is MB5Z-5035E which is for the 3.0 Ecoboost.. hence this receipt confirming that part number as the one they replaced your old one with.

I have a printout of the part numbers used in my build and have it highlited next to what Ford actually calls for these vehicles. Next step is sending it to Ford to see if they will swap it out without any failures in mine yet.

Will keep everyone updated!"

PM your VIN number and I can check to see which part number they used on yours.
So you're saying that all the ST's with one bolt have the wrong subframe?

Reactions
So you're saying that all the ST's with one bolt have the wrong subframe?
I'm saying strictly what my VIN calls for which is that part number and it has 2 bolts. The one that came in mine has only one bolt with a different part number and a different application.

It's safe to assume that's the case for all the STs with only one bolt but I didn't actually say that.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
You're kinda bolstering my opinion. This is a running change that happened somewhere between the 4th quarter of 2020 and the 1st quarter of 2021. I think a lot of us were hoping this was a parts shortage situation or a simple mistake that might be rectified.

I've said this several times. The bean counters at Ford decided this was a place they could save coin and it's a running change. Unless these cars start dropping rear ends on the road in number Ford isn't going to do a thing about this. Now if someone has that certain relationship with their dealer they may get some response but it will likely be at the dealer's expense.

Reactions
You're kinda bolstering my opinion. This is a running change that happened somewhere between the 4th quarter of 2020 and the 1st quarter of 2021. I think a lot of us were hoping this was a parts shortage situation or a simple mistake that might be rectified.

I've said this several times. The bean counters at Ford decided this was a place they could save coin and it's a running change. Unless these cars start dropping rear ends on the road in number Ford isn't going to do a thing about this. Now if someone has that certain relationship with their dealer they may get some response but it will likely be at the dealer's expense.
My Ford Warranty Rep has calls into Ford on my specific explorer. We pulled multiple VINs and multiple part builds on those specific vehicles and they are being built with the wrong subframes.

Follow the other thread on this topic as I am keeping it updated as I get answers for my specific 21 built in March. It has a subframe from a 3.3NA Hybrid when the VIN calls for a different part number applied to the 3.0L EcoBoost

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I'm following the other thread too and I hope you're right.

Reactions
Hopefully people with one bolt can spam cooperate Ford until it causes enough waves to get attention.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
If enough people provide feedback on Ford's social media presences so the issue is brought to the public's attention, they may have more incentive to resolve it.

Reactions
Any more updates on this from people with 2022's?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Any more updates on this from people with 2022's?
They are all 3 bolts now. Ford has gone to the dark side.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
My 2022 ST built November 22, 2021.
20211207_151132.jpg

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
My 2022 ST built November 22, 2021.
View attachment 10041
This actually worries me. How many people in here have the 2021-2022 and beat on their diff? I plan on doing a lot of towing and fast starts… I’d really hope this holds up for the life of the car.

Reactions
So if you have one bolt, should all those with one bolt buy a Fenfab diffy stiffy?
Is it safe to leave just one bolt?
I just ask because I don't really know.
What is the general consensus here?
I've been beating on the car for a year and it's tuned and all that so I don't want any issues.
Tks.

StarWhite22

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
MY 22; Build date 02/22. Just picked it upSaturday
MattJ716 was my salesman :)

Just looked underneath; only one bolt. Hopefully no issues in the long run.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I just ordered the correct subframe for insurance.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I just ordered the correct subframe for insurance.
Damn what did that cost??
I have a 22 and also have one bolt rear sub...