Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

BEWARE: Driveshaft kaboom from emergency auto-brake

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Damn what did that cost??
I have a 22 and also have one bolt rear sub...
$1200. Still need to find the bolt. I've spent quite a bit of cash on upgrades so in the grand scheme of things it was just more. May not make a difference but I've got mine tuned already with other upgrades in the near future and I just didn't feel like taking any chances especially potentially being out of warranty.

Reactions
My 2022 has one bolt. I plan to purchase the Stiffy as it seems to be the only remedy without completely replacing the subframe.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
There is only one point I'm trying to make here. Until I see vehicles released say after the first quarter of 21 show up with the more robust sub-frames installed I'm going to guess that Ford thinks the 1/3 bolt setup is good enough and has made it a running change.

I don't see Ford stepping up to the plate and making an across-the-board recall on this. If the later models are out there with the better unit we have something to go on. I would like to be wrong on that. I, along with just about anyone else with one of these wimpy setups would like to have this happen but I don't see it. Personally I feel cheated.

Does anyone out there with a late build date 21 have the 2/4 setup as manufactured? I haven't seen anyone claim to have this.
mine was built in may this year and still has the 1 bolt set up. WTF

Drewwhid1

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
2022 here. Built in November 22. Mine has 2 bolts.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Just purchased an ST. Build date 9/23. 1/3 bolt subframe. Asking the dealership to remedy with a 2/4 bolt subframe via a misbuild claim with Ford but not optimistic. This electronic parking brake “fix” for this is one of the most dishonest attempts to pretend to fix a true structural problem that I’ve seen. They are just comparing the analyzed potential cost of repairs and lawsuits vs the cost of installing or recalling tens/hundreds of thousands of vehicles and they’re choosing their wallet over customer safety and proper engineering specs… on a performance vehicle, no less.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have a 2020 with the 2 bolt front washer etc. total coincidence on the year that I bought. Does a diff brace make any sense for me? Seems pretty redundant. But for $160 I wouldn’t mind a little more peace of mind.

Attachments

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It won't hurt any thing. But not sure if it really helps in your case. Your choice I guess.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have a 2020 with the 2 bolt front washer etc. total coincidence on the year that I bought. Does a diff brace make any sense for me? Seems pretty redundant. But for $160 I wouldn’t mind a little more peace of mind.
Well, you will want a more substantial brace than the $160 will get you. the 2/4 bolt subframes are not part of the recall and at least anecdotally, have not heard of these mounts/bolts failing. When I removed the two rear bolts on my 2/4 bolt last year, there was no sign of bent bolts like you see with the 1/3 bolt subframe. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.