Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Baxter Performance spin on filter adapter

Reactions
Just wondering how much oil would be spilled everytime you screw off the filter?

Reactions
I'd just want it for the easier oil changes alone. But not for that price...
The price is a bit exorbitant, I will admit that, although sanity and convenience are things I’m usually willing to pay for. Especially to convert things that are stupid designs back to the way god intended.

Reactions
Just wondering how much oil would be spilled everytime you screw off the filter?
Supposedly not much, there’s a schrader valve you blow air into before you take the filter off and that allegedly evacuates most of the oil from the filter.

Reactions
I'd just want it for the easier oil changes alone. But not for that price...
I am unsure why everyone thinks the cartridges are hard to change. Get a hook or knife to pull or cut off the o-rings and you just roll on the new ones. Much easier than messing with the screw on filter under the car. And much, much cleaner.

Reactions
Supposedly not much, there’s a schrader valve you blow air into before you take the filter off and that allegedly evacuates most of the oil from the filter.
Sounds unnecessary to me. I love the cartridges.

Reactions
Vehicle
22 Explorer ST
Glad Ford made it the way you like it then. I, on the other hand, hate the damn things.
I’m generally curious as to why you don’t like the cartridge filter?

Reactions
I’m generally curious as to why you don’t like the cartridge filter?
Sorry for the delay.

I don’t like clumsy designs that overcomplicate something that can, and should, be extremely simple. Extra tools (on some makes and models, the tools for the cartridge filters are specific to that design), time spent fiddling with o-rings (I have hands like christmas hams) etc, to my mind is an overcomplication of something that was simple, contained all in one unit, and that didn’t need its design changed - the basic spin-on oil filter.

I’ll admit spin-ons can be messy, sometimes awkwardly positioned (so can cartridges, not unlike these being underneath the strut brace) but the bulk of them can be taken on and off by hand, and good technique can largely overcome the mess that they make (spoken from the fact that I did 7 years as an oil change guy as my first job and undoubtedly changed multiple thousand vehicles worth of oil filters, so I had time to perfect the technique - it’s all in the wrist). No fiddling involved.

A three-second blast of compressed air to a schrader valve (as with this Baxter product) followed by a quick spin off, a kiss of oil on the gasket, and and quick spin on is, to me, far more elegant a design than breaking out sockets and ratchets, removing the cartridge, removing the filter media, removing two or three o rings, re-installing two or three o-rings, reinstalling the new filter media, reinstalling the housing, and then tools to tighten it again.

My preference of course. Others’ mileage may vary!