Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Baxter Performance spin on filter adapter

408hatch

Reactions
Just wondering if anyone has tried one of these. Apparently it converts to a spin on conventional filter (which I'm not sure I like), but the main purpose is to hold oil up top in the filter with a check valve to help with quicker oil pressure at startup. Also as a bonus has a schrader valve to blow it out before swapping out to keep the mess down.. One big flaw I predict though is how would you keep it from dumping oil everywhere when flipping over the pre-filled filter (which we've all been taught to do), to thread it on.. In hindsite though with the cartridge style, there's no pre-fill anyways..

Thoughts?

https://www.baxterperformanceusa.com/product/fs-101-bk-cartridge-to-spin-on-adapter/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...o7QBegQICxAE&usg=AOvVaw2BBO_yi-fDbOwtIAmPW6Zx

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
My Mazda Speed3 came with a cartridge filter. Mazda makes a bolt-on platform for a spin-on conversion. Oddly, European Speed3s have the spin-on - only US market get the cartridge. Anyway, I swapped the Speed to spin-on. Much easier IMO.

SR56

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Just wondering if anyone has tried one of these. Apparently it converts to a spin on conventional filter (which I'm not sure I like), but the main purpose is to hold oil up top in the filter with a check valve to help with quicker oil pressure at startup. Also as a bonus has a schrader valve to blow it out before swapping out to keep the mess down.. One big flaw I predict though is how would you keep it from dumping oil everywhere when flipping over the pre-filled filter (which we've all been taught to do), to thread it on.. In hindsite though with the cartridge style, there's no pre-fill anyways..

Thoughts?

https://www.baxterperformanceusa.com/product/fs-101-bk-cartridge-to-spin-on-adapter/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...o7QBegQICxAE&usg=AOvVaw2BBO_yi-fDbOwtIAmPW6Zx
Did you ever try this? Looking at it as a possible upgrade.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

OP
408hatch

408hatch

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I did not. Just haven't taken the plunge. Kind of wanted someone else to try it out first

All jokes aside it does make a lot of sense..

Anyone else? Aside from the initial price that is. Keeping the oil up top and rtg = less engine wear on startup

SR56

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I think I'm gonna do it. I've got a few FL500S filters laying around and it might even take the larger Ford Performance FL820 I ran on my Mustang. It's a wider filter but the o-ring seals up tight.

SR56

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I decided to do it. It's pricy for what it is, but it's well made piece. Fits flush with the FL-500S filter.

The gasket for the larger Ford Performance (M-6731-FL820) filter should line up and only the can edge will have some overhang. I ordered one to test and make sure it'll all fit.

Reactions
Do the o-rings need to be changed with every oil change?
This would make oil changes a bit easier too.

SR56

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Do the o-rings need to be changed with every oil change?
This would make oil changes a bit easier too.
Nope. Once the adapter is in place it's in place. You'll only be using spin-on filters from that point. Maybe check them every couple years if you're worried, but should hold up for a long time.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I'd bite if it were around $100

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Is there any clearance issue with the strut brace?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Silver Spruce Explorer ST
That thing is a definite work of art, and, quite obviously, priced accordingly. I'm right now running through my mind how many oil changes it would take before I would get to a somewhat reasonable break-even point---and I'm still counting.

SR56

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Is there any clearance issue with the strut brace?
Shouldn't be with most filters. The Ford Performance FL820 is 4" tall. I'll know more when I get to the install.

SR56

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
More pics with the FL820 Ford Performance filter. The gasket lines up with it but obviously have some overhang. Had the same thing on my 2016 Mustang GT but never had a leak.

Next test will be seeing how it all fits on an actual install. The larger filter may not work if any of the nearby cables need to be moved. Depends how high the Baxter comes up. Then the strut tower brace. Looks to be plenty of space. This filter is 4" tall, so about the same as the FL500s. Just a fatty.

Reactions
No small o-rings for the dick tip like in the factory housing?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
These things are solutions looking for a problem. Show me a single ST engine failure because of the cartridge filter and we can talk…

Reactions
These things are solutions looking for a problem. Show me a single ST engine failure because of the cartridge filter and we can talk…
Can’t speak for anyone else but I’m more interested in the eliminating the cartridge filter and fucking with the o-rings factor than anything to do with the dry starting.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Can’t speak for anyone else but I’m more interested in the eliminating the cartridge filter and fucking with the o-rings factor than anything to do with the dry starting.
Well the Baxter device has the same O-rings since it replaces the cartridge filter housing. Not sure what interval they recommend changing them but you still have to deal with them most likely.

Reactions
Well the Baxter device has the same O-rings since it replaces the cartridge filter housing. Not sure what interval they recommend changing them but you still have to deal with them most likely.
Yeah hence my curiosity as the picture don’t show any o-rings on the dick tip thing. The rings on the adapter body itself will obviously be there although I doubt they would be a *frequent* replacement item. Certainly would be curious to know the recommended interval. Shall have to look into that.

Reactions
I'd just want it for the easier oil changes alone. But not for that price...