Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Anyone tried the 22" wheel from the 13-14 edge sport on their ST

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
These will go on my truck once I get everything cleaned up. 22 x 9.5" wheels by Ford Performance. They are actually a Expedition wheel that Ford powdercoats black, and they add the logo. (y)

1648993909856.jpeg

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #22
The only factory 22's ford ever offered were on the 04+ F150/expeditions, and the first generation edge. I also found out recently there was another 22 on the edge back in 2009 or so.

3783-ppp_lincoln_cap.jpg

https://www.detroitwheelandtire.com...replacement-3783-polished-hol-3783-ppp-a.html

They don't look to bad and are cheaper than the wheels I got and detroit wheel and tire claims they have a 70.5 mm hub bore but they are wrong on so much other stuff, I don't trust them.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
The only factory 22's ford ever offered were on the 04+ F150/expeditions, and the first generation edge. I also found out recently there was another 22 on the edge back in 2009 or so.
Ford has made several 22" wheels (e.g. Limited F150's)

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #24
I already mentioned F150's. The 04+ all use the same 6x135mm lug pattern so all the wheels are interchangeable, as long as they clear the brakes. The expedition/navigator also has the same pattern and can use the same wheels. 22's were available on the F150 harley davidson edition, the Limited's and over the parts counter at the dealership. FYI back around 07-08 the limited was just a white harley edition, same wheels, same equipment, different color.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I had almost given up on getting a set, considering Detroit Wheel and tire wants $2700 for a set and that is unmodified. Factor in $250 to get the hub bores opened up and who knows how much to get them widened, I would be quickly approaching 4K for a set of heavy factory wheels. I could get a new set of vossen HF-2's in a 22x10.5 for $3800 and they would be structurally stronger than widened cast factory wheels. Once I found the set on ebay, and after searching the Cleveland area, there was only one shop who could open the hub bore and no-one locally could widen them, I gave up on the idea of getting them widened. Also the size tire I've chosen to run can be mounted on a 22x9 wheel, they are at the minimum of the recommended wheel width. Not ideal, but I'm not tracking my ST, it's a daily driver so a 9" wide wheel will be fine.

Here is the vossen HF-2's, they remind me of the snowflake wheels on the 77-78 trans am's

View attachment 11316
Those were my second choice to the Velgens except all black.

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #26
I having a hard time finding tires right now. I had to downgrade to the Nitto NT420's as they are the only tire available right now in the size I wanted, a 285/40/22. I originally wanted the yokohama parada spec-x but they are on national backorder, then I tried the toyo proxes ST3, and they are backordered also.

Last edited:

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I having a hard time finding tires right now. I had to downgrade to the Nitto NT420's as they are the only tire available right now in the size I wanted, a 285/40/22. I originally wanted the yokohama parada spec-x but they are on national backorder, then I tried the toyo proxes ST3, and they are backordered also.
Like everything else, the prices have gone up too. I put Pirelli AS3s on my truck rims. Got them at Sam's Club around Christmas for $229.00 each. The other day they were $249.00.

Last edited:
OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #28
The guy at the local tire shop I went to said the nittos are scarce also, but found 4 of them for me. 2 are in CA, one in AZ, and one in FL, hopefully they will all be here by Friday.

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #29
I didn't really want the nittos, and the deal fell apart anyway. Someone bought a single tire so now they can't make a set of four. I then found a set of continental ContiSportContact 5P's on ebay and the ad said they had 10 available, until I tried to buy 4 and suddenly they were back ordered with no idea when they will be back in stock. I found another source for the conti's, but after getting burned twice already and having to cancel the order and wait for the refund, I want to actually talk to a live person who can verify they actually have them before I buy.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Have you checked Tirerack? They have some in that size. Best of all, they can come to your house to install them using their ASAP mobile service.

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #31
A little pricier than others but they had several to choose from in stock. I bought a set on continental 5P's. They should be here Friday. I'll wait until I have the tires in my possession before I set the appointment with their mobile install truck.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
A little pricier than others but they had several to choose from in stock. I bought a set on continental 5P's. They should be here Friday. I'll wait until I have the tires in my possession before I set the appointment with their mobile install truck.
the way i did it, I selected ASAP mobile install, they ship it to them, meanwhile i go o the ASAP schedule and pick out a day that convenient for me that is at least a few days out. Super convenient!

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #33
I'm also waiting on the tpms sensors. I found a deal on a set of real OEM ford performance sensors with training tool for $150, so I'm also waiting on those to show up.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
These will go on my truck once I get everything cleaned up. 22 x 9.5" wheels by Ford Performance. They are actually a Expedition wheel that Ford powdercoats black, and they add the logo. (y)

View attachment 11317
Any updates on this? I really want to see what these look like mounted. Also, I thought Expeditions were 6-lug (as shown in the pic)? Where did you snag 5-lug ones off?

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #35
They are 6 lug. Where did he mention the wheels were 5 lug? The old first gen expy's were 5 lug, but they haven't built them since around 03. And they have a much larger lug pattern than our explorer wheels. I believe they were 5 x 135mm

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
They are 6 lug. Where did he mention the wheels were 5 lug? The old first gen expy's were 5 lug, but they haven't built them since around 03. And they have a much larger lug pattern than our explorer wheels. I believe they were 5 x 135mm
He didn't but he said "these will go on my truck"... I assumed he meant his Explorer ST, which is a 5 lug, not 6 as shown in the pic of the wheels. I was wondering where he found those wheels that would fit our vehicle. Its probably just a miscommunication but does that make more sense?

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #37
yes it does

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I smile every time I hear an Exploder referred to as a truck.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm also waiting on the tpms sensors. I found a deal on a set of real OEM ford performance sensors with training tool for $150, so I'm also waiting on those to show up.
Any 315mhz sensor will work and no tool is needed. New sensors will self learn in just a few miles.

OP
I Bleed Ford Blue

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Thread Starter #40
Yeah, I know but I wanted a reset tool just in case. I'm keeping my factory 20's with A/S michelins for my winter wheel set and if I have an issue when I put the 20's back on I'll have the tool already.

BTW my 22" tires were delivered today, so now I have the modified wheels, the tires, and a set of black McGard lug nuts with locks. Just waiting on the sensors and then I can have them installed.