Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

A New Sync Issue

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
This started about a week ago. When I start my Explorer the radio is turned off even though I never turn it off. And today when it done it I had no sound after turning it on. After doing a soft reset the sound did come back. And I am up to date with version 23188. Has any one else had this happen with the latest Sync software?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I’ve had mine start with no sound a couple times. Restarting worked both times. Newest version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Had it happen once on a change from FM to USB. 23188 Update installed. Pulled over and restarted no issues since.

I'm convinced every one of these vehicles has an electrical Gremlin hiding somewhere behind the dash that just likes to take a peek at the world at one time or another. If you haven't seen yours yet, just be patient. :)

Last edited:
OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
What I find funny is I had no issue before this update. But maybe it's my turn.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
What I find funny is I had no issue before this update. But maybe it's my turn.
ah ha !! See Dale .... I jinxed you ! I told you everything worked fine and didnt want to update mine.....

Reactions
I've never owned a vehicle with so many gremlins that come and go, .
I'm not sure they are electrical issues but are software bugs that Ford fixes then breaks in these updates. Maybe they hired some old Microsoft engineers.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Vsportmac

Reactions
I am having worse issues now, mine is starting up on a different channel then what I left it from and also if I have 5 pages of presets set up sometimes it pops back to 2 pages. Anyone have any idea what this is all about. what is the latest version of updates?

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
I am having worse issues now, mine is starting up on a different channel then what I left it from and also if I have 5 pages of presets set up sometimes it pops back to 2 pages. Anyone have any idea what this is all about. what is the latest version of updates?
23188 is the latest SYNC update that cured most of the issues. 22251 was junk.

NYPigskin

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I've had my screen go black a couple of times while driving. It boots right back up. Don't know if this is some kind of update or not. Maybe it just trying to catch up to me. Lol. Warp speed Scotty!!

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
I've had my screen go black a couple of times while driving. It boots right back up. Don't know if this is some kind of update or not. Maybe it just trying to catch up to me. Lol. Warp speed Scotty!!
What SYNC version are you on? If 22251 that is the most likely cause.

NYPigskin

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Was on 22251 until last night. Now on 23188. I'll see how it goes tomorrow morning when I go to work. Also ordered the new map update for $40.00 that will be here in 2 days.

hbalek

Reactions
Was on 22251 until last night. Now on 23188. I'll see how it goes tomorrow morning when I go to work. Also ordered the new map update for $40.00 that will be here in 2 days.
All of those issues you described and more I had on 22251 until I updated last September to 23188. I endured 4 or 5 months of that crap until they updated it and fixed it. It was running out of memory space because the cache folders were getting full.

SF02112

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Mine just started having issues last week, I havent' made any changes to it, etc. but here's what I've noticed:

Only 1/2 of the Map Screen loads in Map mode, in the Home mode, you only get the name of the road with no "map- This happens about 50% of the time.
All of my Map history/saved locations are gone.
It "lost" the connection to my WiFi- I reconnected it successfully and when I turned the vehicle off and back on, it had lost the WiFi into and was not connected, it will not stay connected.
The radio defaults to Sirius Channel 0 "SID" OR it will default to an FM channel (even when I've had it on a Sirius channel when I turned the vehicle off).
Voice Commands are working about 50% of the time.
Contacts aren't downloading about 50% of the time.

I have Version 3.4 Build 22251.

Having read people with similar issues, it seems it could possibly be a defective APIM module?

Note that it's going to the dealer for the Rear Axle Bolt and Rear Camera recall on 4/4, so I'm hoping they can fix this issue also.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as this is maddening

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Mine just started having issues last week, I havent' made any changes to it, etc. but here's what I've noticed:

Only 1/2 of the Map Screen loads in Map mode, in the Home mode, you only get the name of the road with no "map- This happens about 50% of the time.
All of my Map history/saved locations are gone.
It "lost" the connection to my WiFi- I reconnected it successfully and when I turned the vehicle off and back on, it had lost the WiFi into and was not connected, it will not stay connected.
The radio defaults to Sirius Channel 0 "SID" OR it will default to an FM channel (even when I've had it on a Sirius channel when I turned the vehicle off).
Voice Commands are working about 50% of the time.
Contacts aren't downloading about 50% of the time.

I have Version 3.4 Build 22251.

Having read people with similar issues, it seems it could possibly be a defective APIM module?

Note that it's going to the dealer for the Rear Axle Bolt and Rear Camera recall on 4/4, so I'm hoping they can fix this issue also.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as this is maddening
That’s a known bad software version with lots of problems. Many have updated to the current version and it has cleared up their issues. For some it required a hardware replacement.

I would update manually (usb) and see if that improves things before I even visited a dealer.

OP
D

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #15
23188 is the newest version and should solve your issues. As @Cruising68 said update manually using a USB.

SF02112

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
That’s a known bad software version with lots of problems. Many have updated to the current version and it has cleared up their issues. For some it required a hardware replacement.

I would update manually (usb) and see if that improves things before I even visited a dealer.

Thank you, how do I go about updating it via USB?

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions

SF02112

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thank you!
It worked flawlessly- I appreciate the help.
So glad I found this forum!
You’re welcome. Definitely some great info here! Hopefully it resolves your issues.

SF02112

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
For sure! This update not only solved all the problems, but it seems to load faster and run better now. Thank you again