Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2025 Towing Capacity

usna2k

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Mostly just commenting - I was disappointed to see that towing capacity has been downrated to 5,000 lbs and only class III hitch - I would not be able to tow my current Airstream with that. I really was looking forward to the upgraded interior on this one. Guess I will keep my 2022 for now.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
i wouldn't be surprised if the new ST is slower. Seems like Ford is going all in on the 3 bolt rear subframe and the "retuned" transmission gives me pause.

88lx50

Firefighter
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
i wouldn't be surprised if the new ST is slower. Seems like Ford is going all in on the 3 bolt rear subframe and the "retuned" transmission gives me pause.
The 2025 has the 3 bolt rear?

Reactions
Mostly just commenting - I was disappointed to see that towing capacity has been downrated to 5,000 lbs and only class III hitch - I would not be able to tow my current Airstream with that. I really was looking forward to the upgraded interior on this one. Guess I will keep my 2022 for now.
My 2020 has a class III hitch, still rated at 5600 lbs tow capacity. So the drop to 5000 lbs is not from the hitch (class III hitches can support 8000 lbs).

Reactions
The towing capacity reduction is one of the first things I noticed about the 2025. Really curious as to why the downgrade in towing capacity if they are carrying over the same engine & drivetrain with no changes minus the trans. calibration change (whatever that is). I have a 16' tandem axle, 4-wheeler and dirt bike trailer that when fully loaded including the weight of the trailer is right at 4,400 lbs. . My 2022 ST I traded in last summer (due to a storm that covered it in hail dents) pulled my fully loaded trailer just fine. I liked being just under the general rule of pulling no more than 80% of the maximum towing capacity.

A week and a half ago I ordered a 2025 ST to replace my traded in ST. Towing my fully loaded trailer with it and with the lowered towing capacity will now put me only 12% under the max. . It still should be fine but not as ideal as the previous ST's capacity.

Last edited:

L33der

Reactions
Vehicle
17 Explorer, 20 Transit, 24 F150, 25 Explorer ST
Could it be a lot of stuff is now standard on these? I wonder if the added weight of everything makes the reduction in towing capacity? I wouldn't think there is 600lbs of added weight though.

Reactions
Could it be a lot of stuff is now standard on these? I wonder if the added weight of everything makes the reduction in towing capacity? I wouldn't think there is 600lbs of added weight though.
My thought which is purely a guess is that the previous models may have been overrated so the new tow capacity number is a correction from that. If Ford was getting abnormal warranty claims associated to towing, that's the easiest solution if they are unwilling to change/upgrade componentry.

L33der

Reactions
Vehicle
17 Explorer, 20 Transit, 24 F150, 25 Explorer ST
My thought which is purely a guess is that the previous models may have been overrated so the new tow capacity number is a correction from that. If Ford was getting abnormal warranty claims associated to towing, that's the easiest solution if they are unwilling to change/upgrade componentry.
Sounds like something Ford would do. SMH. Looks like a "Stiffy Diffy" or similar support bracket will be added to the list of mods if this holds true.