Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2022 Driveline Vibration 37-42MPH

Garf

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer Limited Hybrid
Just received this from my dealer this morning.
Hi Gary,

See the attached document from Ford Engineering, they admit having an issue
with the previous SSM not fixing the problem and they came out with a TSB
(technical service bulletin) to install a driveline shim under the
driveshaft hanger bearing. We did order those shim and once here we will
schedule you to have it installed.

Thank you

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
22 Ford Explorer Platinum Hybrid
I have been dealing with this as well, they have replaced the driveshaft twice, replaced the transfer case twice, replaced the center carrier bearing. The latest TSB came out to install new bolts and shims at the center carrier bearing, but my vibration was still there. It is usually there after the car has sat over 6 hours. I still think there is something that may be related to the rear axle bolt recall, but still trying to figure it out. the servicing dealer says they are going to get back on the hotline call and see if they can get an engineer to come assist. At least this dealership is trying. This is a 2022 Explorer Platinum Hybrid with 14,400 miles on it. Vibration has been there since my drive home from the dealer in Ohio.

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
Hi Gary,

Thank you
Has this fixed your issues?

Reactions
Vehicle
22 Ford Explorer Platinum Hybrid
It didn't fix mine. I have it going back in October 30th.

Reactions
Vehicle
Hi Gary,

Thank you
Have you had this tsb performed yet?

JTizziy

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
If you have the
PIRELLI Tires!
Tires Ck for the Quiet Technolgy on the tire, they have foam inside and it will come loose!
We had one in our shop, Vibration at 40-55 MPH and the visor would bounce off the headliner. Removed the foam that had come loose, and problem fixed. I hope this Helps

PNCS - Tires with foam inside | Pirelli

Attachments

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
If you have the
PIRELLI Tires!
Tires Ck for the Quiet Technolgy on the tire, they have foam inside and it will come loose!
We had one in our shop, Vibration at 40-55 MPH and the visor would bounce off the headliner. Removed the foam that had come loose, and problem fixed. I hope this Helps

PNCS - Tires with foam inside | Pirelli
Many on this thread don't have the 21" wheels, some not even the ST, but I think they are looking for a solution that may apply to any 2020 or newer Explorer.

MyFord

Reactions
Vehicle
So my appointment was today and I got a call from the dealership this afternoon to tell me that it didn’t fix the problem. Not exactly sure what they did, but they applied some type of kit that is supposed to fix it. They also said that Ford has issued a TSB for it.
they have kept the vehicle and are replacing the driveshaft AGAIN tomorrow.
Does anyone in Canada know what recourse we have with Ford? Enough is enough.
Sorry for posting in the ST forum. I also have a 2023 Explorer Limited hybrid that has a vibration that is most noticeable 38mph-42mph. No vibration at slower speeds. Did Ford fix your issue?

Reactions
Many on this thread don't have the 21" wheels, some not even the ST, but I think they are looking for a solution that may apply to any 2020 or newer Explorer.
I have a 21 St I don't think the Pirelli for this application comes with the foam because I have a nail in my tire and did a patch & balance there was no foam inside I would prefer the foam less road noise but I know why they do it $$$$

Omega

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer Limited
So funny story. I thought I'd drop it here since I detailed the rest of my buyback story.

After the buyback, I swore I'd never buy another Ford, and just kept using our 2 cars to drag my family everywhere we needed to as a large group. 3 kids, 2 adults, 2 dogs, chairs and etc for the kids sporting event, so we had to take 2 cars. Fast forward months, I was looking at buying a Jeep Grand Wagoneer and after living on their forums for a while decided they are more F'd up than Ford is right now. So for SnG I stopped at my old dealer (who took amazing care of us while going thru the buyback BS) just to see what they had. Long story short (at least this part, the funny part is coming up), we drove home a 2023 Expedition Timberline. The staff at THAT dealer is the ONLY reason I am back in another Ford. Great deal and LOW year end interest rates helped :-D

So anyway, I grabbed my phone and popped open the Ford Pass app, I hadn't opened in a long time, since before the buyback was done, and went to add the Family Destroyer 2000 (what my 12yr old named it... I swear SHE is going to be a serial killer...) and there is the old explorer. Being an IT guy I thought to myself, "self, I bet if I click on the old truck I'll get an error, I wonder if it will be a connectivity error or an access error?". So I did and behold it opened. Not only could I see that the NEW OWNERS of this PoS buyback nightmare had taken it in for service twice in the 2 months they have owned it but that they lived REALLY close to me. Surely this had to be a mistake, right? So I jumped in my car and drove down the road and there it sat as per the geolocating said.

So not only did a dealer get my buyback and resell it (I understand business, it just seems.. dirty to me) but that dealer did not reset the vehicle before they sold it. I called my attorney to see if this was some sort of breach of privacy on all sides and he said as long as someone didn't do damage or harm based on the geolocation that the app provided then... no.

I called Ford customer server and nicely but directly questioned WTF! and wanted to make sure that nobody was tracking my new car... because... why couldn't someone? I mean, think about it, you buy a car after others have taken on a test drive, who knows if they have or have not added it to a Ford Pass app on a pre-paid phone, then could follow you home, or wait until Christmas, follow you around and unlock your car and steal all your stuff when you go get dinner or something. I mean I am not crazy here right???

Customer service said that they could see my still attached to my old explorer as are the new owners, I deleted my old explorer during the call and made SURE she could not see anyone else attached to my new vehicle.

All this to say, MAKE SURE you reset your vehicles when you buy one used OR new... and as an IT guy I can say this is HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE consumer privacy policies and practices. If this were a bank, hospital, credit company... they could be sued hard, but since they are "just" a car company it seems these policies don't matter as much. /SMH

Good luck to everyone here, and stay safe.

hbalek

Reactions
So funny story. I thought I'd drop it here since I detailed the rest of my buyback story.

After the buyback, I swore I'd never buy another Ford, and just kept using our 2 cars to drag my family everywhere we needed to as a large group. 3 kids, 2 adults, 2 dogs, chairs and etc for the kids sporting event, so we had to take 2 cars. Fast forward months, I was looking at buying a Jeep Grand Wagoneer and after living on their forums for a while decided they are more F'd up than Ford is right now. So for SnG I stopped at my old dealer (who took amazing care of us while going thru the buyback BS) just to see what they had. Long story short (at least this part, the funny part is coming up), we drove home a 2023 Expedition Timberline. The staff at THAT dealer is the ONLY reason I am back in another Ford. Great deal and LOW year end interest rates helped :-D

So anyway, I grabbed my phone and popped open the Ford Pass app, I hadn't opened in a long time, since before the buyback was done, and went to add the Family Destroyer 2000 (what my 12yr old named it... I swear SHE is going to be a serial killer...) and there is the old explorer. Being an IT guy I thought to myself, "self, I bet if I click on the old truck I'll get an error, I wonder if it will be a connectivity error or an access error?". So I did and behold it opened. Not only could I see that the NEW OWNERS of this PoS buyback nightmare had taken it in for service twice in the 2 months they have owned it but that they lived REALLY close to me. Surely this had to be a mistake, right? So I jumped in my car and drove down the road and there it sat as per the geolocating said.

So not only did a dealer get my buyback and resell it (I understand business, it just seems.. dirty to me) but that dealer did not reset the vehicle before they sold it. I called my attorney to see if this was some sort of breach of privacy on all sides and he said as long as someone didn't do damage or harm based on the geolocation that the app provided then... no.

I called Ford customer server and nicely but directly questioned WTF! and wanted to make sure that nobody was tracking my new car... because... why couldn't someone? I mean, think about it, you buy a car after others have taken on a test drive, who knows if they have or have not added it to a Ford Pass app on a pre-paid phone, then could follow you home, or wait until Christmas, follow you around and unlock your car and steal all your stuff when you go get dinner or something. I mean I am not crazy here right???

Customer service said that they could see my still attached to my old explorer as are the new owners, I deleted my old explorer during the call and made SURE she could not see anyone else attached to my new vehicle.

All this to say, MAKE SURE you reset your vehicles when you buy one used OR new... and as an IT guy I can say this is HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE consumer privacy policies and practices. If this were a bank, hospital, credit company... they could be sued hard, but since they are "just" a car company it seems these policies don't matter as much. /SMH

I bought a Lincoln back in 2010 that was a year old and they had not reset the Sync, so I saw all of the previous owner's information, including name, address, contacts, etc. This was before my 2020 which has the FordPass app. My 2013 Lincoln was reset when I bought it at 2 years old, so no old information was left on Sync.

Garf

Reactions
Vehicle

Hi @Omega
Would love to get a little info/help from you. I am at the lawyer stage now but unfortunately in Canada we do not have a lemon law. is there a way I can reach out to you?
Thanks.

Ebjo

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer PHEV st-line
Hi there,

I have a 2021 ST line PHEV with the same vibration at 33-40 mph. Not present at any other speeds.

The hanger bearing on the intermediate shaft was changed and that made the vibrations even stronger indicating the problem is indeed with this shaft arrangement but lies elsewhere ( alignment error, component unbalance, or anything else).

Has anyone found a fix for the issue?

Does anyone have a service book with arrangement drawings showing this specific arrangement?

Thanks.

Reactions
Vehicle
Hi there,

I have a 2021 ST line PHEV with the same vibration at 33-40 mph. Not present at any other speeds.

The hanger bearing on the intermediate shaft was changed and that made the vibrations even stronger indicating the problem is indeed with this shaft arrangement but lies elsewhere ( alignment error, component unbalance, or anything else).

Has anyone found a fix for the issue?

Does anyone have a service book with arrangement drawings showing this specific arrangement?

Thanks.
Been dealing with this for 1,5 years, since i got the car.

No fix as of yet, partly because Ford simply does not care.