Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2022 Driveline Vibration 37-42MPH

Omega

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer Limited
1674161745809.png

Omega

Reactions
Vehicle
Thought I'd update:
Ford says they are going to do a buy back. They said it at the end of December. Still waiting for any news.
I can also so that I was told by Ford that they are dealing with around 600 claims a day. Is it me or does that seem crazy? I am sure some are bogus, but still 600 a day?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yep, I agree...bogus.

weigeo1

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Limited
@weigeo1 Now that the temperature is getting lower, have you experiences the vibration return? I'm looking for a solution as well, the vibration is terrible between 37 and 45. The dealer does not seem to know what to do, so I'm looking for input from other hybrid owner.
Thanks!
@weigeo1 Now that the temperature is getting lower, have you experiences the vibration return? I'm looking for a solution as well, the vibration is terrible between 37 and 45. The dealer does not seem to know what to do, so I'm looking for input from other hybrid owner.
Thanks!
Update 4/2023: In cold weather, I did not notice any further vibration issues. The driveshaft replacement seems to have resolved the vibration issue.

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer ST PHEV MY22
Update 4/2023: In cold weather, I did not notice any further vibration issues. The driveshaft replacement seems to have resolved the vibration issue.
Did you only have vibrations around the 37-45 mph or also at 95-105 mph?

weigeo1

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Limited
I don't normally drive the car at 100 mph +/-, so I cannot say whether vibration occurs there. However, at 40 +/- mph, after rear propeller shaft replacement, vibration is gone in cold weather.
I can pdf and send the entire diagnostic and analysis report to you if you want.

12/23 For reference, the following parts were replaced for this repair:

1 L1MZ*4R602*V SHAFT ASY - DRIVE
2 *W717822*S439 BOLT
3 *W719511*S439 BOLT
1 L1MZ*3B498*E CIRCLIP - INNER

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
I don't normally drive the car at 100 mph +/-, so I cannot say whether vibration occurs there. However, at 40 +/- mph, after rear propeller shaft replacement, vibration is gone in cold weather.
I can pdf and send the entire diagnostic and analysis report to you if you want.
Would be good to have!

Don_her at hotmail com

Reactions
Vehicle
I'm not a mechanic so don't pin me on correct terminology guys :)

A friend of mine (who IS a mechanic) works for various dealerships, including some Ford dealerships. On of them also had an Explorer PHEV ST line with vibration issues.

They changed the transmission, driveshaft, diff and what i believe is called the "transfer case". That finally fixed the issue.

They suggested that it would be easy to test this fix by unplugging the harness from the transfer case and drive it like that.

This causes a myriad of issues like esc, abs, tc, brake assist, auto hold etc to fail but you CAN drive the car like this. (Quite fun actually in the wet haha, easy burnouts :p)

So i discussed it with my dealership and they unplugged the transfer case, essentially turning it "off".

This made a world of difference!! I didnt even realize how bad the vibrations actually were until now! Even at other speeds the car is quieter and the wheel is completely still!

Under full acceleration i can notice a vibration on various speeds, but besides that it's completely gone. Even at the 100mph mark. My guess is that the power output still has to "travel" through the transfercase and under full load its just not keeping up as its still a defective unit in my mind.

Fingers crossed, replacing it with a proper transfer case will fix the issues completely.

Ill keep you guys updated as this process continues.

Mooz80

Reactions
Vehicle
Limited Hybrid 22
@scoobysportD Did you get the replacement of the transfer case yet and got good results?
My appointment to check the vibration issue is tomorrow, so I'm looking at potential solutions.
Thanks!

Reactions
Vehicle
@scoobysportD Did you get the replacement of the transfer case yet and got good results?
My appointment to check the vibration issue is tomorrow, so I'm looking at potential solutions.
Thanks!
No not yet, 8th may its going to the dealer for "vibration tests" requested by Ford Cologne (EU technical head office).

Also, Ford suggested something in the line of loosening the engine-transfercase mounting as some have come out of the factory out of alignment. Re-align then tighten mounting again.

I HOPE that'll fix it but i kinda doubt it. Ford sees it as a necessary step for further diagnosis/troubleshooting.

Omega

Reactions
Vehicle
I hope they don't yank you around like they did with me. That was how they started. Do a vibration "test", they swapped 2 drive shaft components. And even though the vibration was random, they changed the tires and wheels???

I was excited to hear the outcome of swapping the transfer case out.

Reactions
Vehicle
I hope they don't yank you around like they did with me. That was how they started. Do a vibration "test", they swapped 2 drive shaft components. And even though the vibration was random, they changed the tires and wheels???

I was excited to hear the outcome of swapping the transfer case out.
Yanking around seems to be Fords MO. I already had a lawyer send them a notice/"letter of default" (not sure thats the correct term).

Mooz80

Reactions
Vehicle
Limited Hybrid 22
Follow-up: after a road test, the technician confirmed the vibration problem from the drive shaft and said that a message in "Oasis" had a fix for the problem. They ordered 4 parts (1 is BO) to provide the fix.
Can't tell if it's going to solve yet, but the following was ordered (it's in French, so description could vary):
1683837825673.png

Reactions
Vehicle
Follow-up: after a road test, the technician confirmed the vibration problem from the drive shaft and said that a message in "Oasis" had a fix for the problem. They ordered 4 parts (1 is BO) to provide the fix.
Can't tell if it's going to solve yet, but the following was ordered (it's in French, so description could vary):
View attachment 17858
Do you perhaps have a service bulletin code?

My dealer wants my car to stay there for 2 months!! Got a mustang mach e as loaner, which is very small and uncomfortable for me. Just can't fina a good position in it. So far no news on any work being done to my car so no update on how they will fix it all.

Mooz80

Reactions
Vehicle
Limited Hybrid 22
I don’t have it written on the paper they gave me for the parts ordered… I can update when fixed (if fixed of course!)

OP
U
Reactions
Thread Starter #57
Update: Over a year later w/seasonal studded tire swaps for winter with no change to the vibration, I Finally got it back into the dealer to have it diagnosed. The technician pinpointed it first time to the center support bearing. New driveshaft= zero issues and no more annoying vibration.

Mooz80

Reactions
Vehicle
Limited Hybrid 22
Update: Over a year later w/seasonal studded tire swaps for winter with no change to the vibration, I Finally got it back into the dealer to have it diagnosed. The technician pinpointed it first time to the center support bearing. New driveshaft= zero issues and no more annoying vibration.
Is this fix part of any technical bulletin that I could refer my dealer to?
Dreaming of a smooth ride myself…

OP
U
Reactions
Thread Starter #59
Is this fix part of any technical bulletin that I could refer my dealer to?
Dreaming of a smooth ride myself…
There may be one, but I'm not sure. With a vibration analyzer it should be pretty easy to pinpoint the source or at least get them in the ball park.

Omega

Reactions
Vehicle
I had my driveshaft replaced. The bad vibration was gone for a week or 2. Although there was still a very mild one we could feel. I hope that fixes your issue.

We have decided to settle with Ford, they are screwing me out of $3500, but its that or 2 years in the legal system.