Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2022 Driveline Vibration 37-42MPH

Reactions
I have a very noticeable vibration that feels like it is in the center-to-rear of the car at 37-42mph then it goes away at higher or lower speeds. No vibration in the steering wheel, but you feel it in the seat while driving it. It doesn't matter what drive mode it is in nor what gear. It is present during acceleration, deceleration or cruise. Put it In manual mode you can feel it in multiple different gears and nothing changes. It is still present.

The vibration feels similar to a center support bearing going bad on something like a f250 driveshaft.
Anyone experienced this? Does anyone know if there is a known issue prior in prior years that sound similar?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If it occurs in multiple different gears (different RPMs) at the same speed, it's unlikely it's trans related, but could be a driveshaft problem or a wheel out of balance. Does the problem recur at any higher speeds? Ford has had some problems with driveshafts.

OP
U
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Agreed on the trans, It feels just like a driveshaft out of balance, twisted or a binding joint somewhere. One thing I haven't tried is putting it in neutral coasting at those speeds to see if anything changes. I'll do that tonight.

As far as the wheel balance is concerned, I would be very surprised (not impossible though). This vibration is nothing like anything I have diagnosed before related to tire/wheel issues, but it should be checked along with trueness of the rim for process of elimination purposes. 55-60mph it is smooth, other speeds are fine also. This type of vibration I'm feeling has almost always been a drive line related issue on other vehicles in the past. I'll check the wheels and make sure they are fully seated and torqued.

I did a search earlier before I started the thread, but didn't see anyone mentioning driveshaft issues. Are there any TSB's on it that you know of that I can reference?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You have a 2022, right? But here is something that brought up my comment- may be others.

https://fordauthority.com/2020/11/2...-aviator-recalled-over-defective-driveshafts/

It's just strange that it's only at that particular speed. Generally, anything out of balance that's speed related would also occur at more than one attenuation point/speed. Not that I'd recommend running 100+ just to check! I agree that an out of balance wheel might be an outlier, but better to start with something simple.

OP
U
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Yes, it's a 22. I just picked it up two days ago and drove it home 200 miles, mainly interstate through inclement weather and terrible road conditions. I thought I noticed a slight rotational vibration, but the road conditions were not ideal to really confirm anything abnormal. Last night I took it to where the roads were clear and the speed limit is 45mph. That's where I confirmed the speeds where I thought I felt something acting strange.

I haven't had any time to set anything up or make any changes with the forscan, little less even look the thing over completely. This weekend I hope to start messing with it, I'll visually check the flex coupling to see if anything looks out of place or improperly seated. Depending on how ambitious I'm feeling I may pull the floor deflector and heat shield and look at the center support also.

OP
U
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Follow up...It may have been something as simple ice build up.

QP22

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer
I have this same issue with my 2022 explorer. Driving between 45-55 mph there is a strange vibration. I took it to Ford today. The mechanic said it seemed to be the 4 cyl engine lugging at the speed and rpm carrying that the weight of the vehicle. The computer says everything is ok. I had them document it for future reference. Seems like this is going to be something they have to figure out.

hbalek

Reactions
I have this same issue with my 2022 explorer. Driving between 45-55 mph there is a strange vibration. I took it to Ford today. The mechanic said it seemed to be the 4 cyl engine lugging at the speed and rpm carrying that the weight of the vehicle. The computer says everything is ok. I had them document it for future reference. Seems like this is going to be something they have to figure out.
If you have an ST, it's a 6 cylinder engine!

weigeo1

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer Limited
I have a 2021 Explorer Limited Hybrid (3000 miles). When ambient temp is cold (40F or less) or car is cold soaked, when driving 35 to 45 mph, there is a vibration that appears to be coming from the rear of the car, something you can feel and almost hear, like an open window with air buffeting. Here are the exact words from dealer analysis: "When the car warms up after several miles, the vibration goes away. The dealer visually inspected the car, no damage to tires or drivetrain components. Dealer installed a VMM which monitored the car for potential sources. When problematic, a highlighted rear propeller shaft picture is highlighted. The driveshaft symptom chart was used to diagnose, and pinpoint H was chosen. The results are as follows: H1: No; H2: No; H3: Yes; H4: No; H5: No; H6: Yes. Additional drive shaft angles were measured. (I have not reported these measurements, but if interested, please contact me and I will do so.) Tightness was found in the CV joint of the rear propeller shaft. A new rear propeller shaft was installed, and the vehicle was test driven under the same conditions to ensure that the vehicle was repaired and not additional problems were present."

As of this date 4/23/22, weather is warming up, and I do not notice any issues. Because the problem is not prevalent when the temp is warmer (now), the dealer cannot fully determine if the issue is resolved. I will drive the car and monitor when weather gets colder (winter months), to determine if repaired. The dealer has agreed to this solution.

Update 4/2023: In cold weather, I did not notice any further vibration issues. The driveshaft replacement seems to have resolved the vibration issue.

Last edited:

Gelomare

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer XLT
I brought a new 2022 Ford Explorer XLT in May of this year. All was well until about a months ago when out of nowhere these strange vibrations started happening when driving 24-32, 36-48, 54-62mph. The car has less than 700miles currently. I have taken it to the dealership twice and was told that there is nothing wrong with the car. I decided to take it to another Ford dealership for a second opinion and was told there that the vibrations are normal for this model with the 4cyl. engine. The engine seems at times to be lugging and the tech said that the ten-speed transmission was most likely the reason. Not sure i understand that one. This should not be happening!

Omega

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer Limited
Hi all, I have the EXACT same problem with my Limited. The dealer has had my Explorer for 2.5 months THIS TIME. A total of 6 months combined. MoCo told them to replace 2 different parts of the driveshaft assembly, not sure which parts (did not correct the issue), and NOW MoCo told them to replace the tires to see if that's the issue... REALLY. Its not the tires.

One thing mine does that I didn't read here is that my vibration does not always exist, and when it does the intensity of it can me mild or down right hateful. Anyone else?

3 people at my dealer said I should Lemon Law it. I am talking to an attorney right now. Ford is fighting by saying I didn't initiate a buyback in the first 12 months. Ohio law says I only have to have the vehicle in for this issue by the 12th month.

My issue started about 3 months after I bought it.

For the folks saying they were told its an underpowered engine, I still get it will driving on level ground or a slight decline, no power needed for that. It also happens if I am on gas or battery power, so that's not it either.

Last edited:

Omega

Reactions
Vehicle
And a follow up question... has anyone on here found a resolution?
Thanks!

Mooz80

Reactions
Vehicle
Limited Hybrid 22
Hi, I'm really interested by a solution too!

Same problem here at the exact same speed.

Thanks!

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
You guys really should look into trading in for an ST. The stripper model is close in price to a fully loaded XLT and you will be a lot happier. I had a 17' XLT and actually liked it better than the 20' XLT. The ST is a different animal.

Omega

Reactions
Vehicle
I wanted the ST originally, but there were none to be had so we bought the limited on the floor, the only one they had.
But the ST and Limited are both experiencing this issue...

We have an attorney and are days away from filing suit for Lemon Law the attorney is "talking" to them right now. Neither the dealer or Ford Engineer have a clue on the issue.

Sad, I have been a Ford die hard for YEARS, had many, 12 to be exact, and my Dad before me, and my 3 kids are almost driving age, they *would* have had Fords. I think I am moving on Toyota or something when this is finished. I really think they have started producing less than acceptable products. This is my 3rd Ford in a row (all new) with issues, although, one they FINALLY fixed (Focus ST steering issue), one I traded in on what I have now (2017 Explorer Limited with trans and electrical issues), and the one I have now.

This current go around, they have had it solid for over 100 days, and 50 days before that.

I'll update this thread for anyone interested, until Ford puts an NDA on me for a buy back. I hear they do that a lot.

PJAJL1962

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I purchased a 2022 Ford Explorer ST in October, 2022. After purchasing it - I drove it to Houston Tx… approx 160 miles… i instantly noticed a vibration in the cabin…not so much in the steering wheel. Contacted the dealership that day. Took it in a week or so later - the ‘rebalanced’ my tires… still have the shiny/vibration. No sounds heard from engine or anything. The vibration is so annoying by time i drive an hour or so…my legs/feet feel numb. I can also feel the shimmy in the floor board. I don’t really feel it driving w/in my small city since the roads are not the best anyways. But once I hit the highway… 45+ mph - it begins. There may be about an intermittent 5 seconds where i think it‘s corrected itself…but then it starts right back up again. Of course, the dealership told me when they had it in for the ‘rebalancing’ of tires…they said they didn’t really feel anything when they drove it. Which they probably won’t because the little city roads are not the best anyways…so they probably wouldn’t feel it.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Since many of you on this thread have the 20" wheels, is there a chance you have the self seal Michelin tires?

Mooz80

Reactions
Vehicle
Limited Hybrid 22
I'm in Quebec, Canada and switched for 18" winter tires and wheels, same problem. So, definitely not a tire issue...

Mooz80

Reactions
Vehicle
Limited Hybrid 22
@weigeo1 Now that the temperature is getting lower, have you experiences the vibration return? I'm looking for a solution as well, the vibration is terrible between 37 and 45. The dealer does not seem to know what to do, so I'm looking for input from other hybrid owner.
Thanks!

PJAJL1962

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Since many of you on this thread have the 20" wheels, is there a chance you have the self seal Michelin tires?
No - I have Pirelli tires.