Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2021 ST BOV

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I

Im extremely late on this entire forum… Beings that i just purchased the 22 Explorer ST. I agree with some of some of the points you’ve made. A BOV IS indeed completely pointless on the new age STs. Except for sound. But “stealing a bit a turbine speed”??? The vehicle has SOME sort of (let’s call) “relieve” valve. It HAS to. Whatever Ford did to remove a BOV, The extra, unused “boost” goes. SOMEWHERE. Now in my experience, (i’ve only ever messed with boosted LS motors) BOVs are safety for your turbo. You don’t want built up pressure to be pushed back into the compressor.. Am i wrong? I’m not a know it all, by any means. But as i stated previously, The extra boost goes somewhere, and it’s not to atmosphere. Cutting Injectors with an open TB, and allowing boost into the intake manifold? (This is what i have just READ on how it works). THAT sounds like serious lag issues. Dead injectors and extra air in the intake sounds like horrific air/fuel mixtures on re-acceleration. Now with that being said, It could possible vent through an open “exhaust” valve, but come on… With the amount of programming that took to do something like that i would expect more of a “power gain” per say than just a “hey we got rid of the whoosh”. I would love to see dyno sheets side by side on stock BOV STs vs. the New no BOV STs. Both Vehicles bone stock pump fuel. Just to see if there is ANY sort of difference. Cause it dang sure ain’t in fuel mileage lol. Also may i add. Why not have a BOV that recirculates boost back into the turbine to help it stay at speed..? You know kinda like a nitrous turbo set up. Now i may be COMPLETELY wrong on how any of this works. But i’m extremely curious on how it does work, Why does it work, why did they do it, and how can i make the most power out of it.
If you read all the posts, you should have read this one. Where the "relieve valve" as you put it is explained. The only programming involved is to cut the injectors and not close the throttle during the shift.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hey so I was lo
View attachment 8624 I was looking at this setup just with the turbo smart or Tial BOV. Do the instructions can you directions on how to hook up the vacuum line? Also do you have a sound clip? TIA

Explorer ST Posts