Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2021 ST BOV

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
@UNBROKEN The graceful thing to do in that situation is to man up, admit it, and apologize.

you are 100% correct sir …

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
That's funny !! You would have a better chance of getting Mexico to merge with Canada due to geographical similarities. :LOL::ROFLMAO:
(y)

F=MA

Reactions
I am just saying he is pretty principled so I do not see that happening.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Selldawg22 , were you able to find it? Looks like a pretty easy change out, even for me...

OP
Selldawg22
Reactions
Thread Starter #45
Selldawg22 , were you able to find it? Looks like a pretty easy change out, even for me...
I agree! It would be pretty simple if it were located in the same spot as the 2020/ early 2021’s. So, according to everyone I’ve talked with at FORD, the late model 2021(mine is a 9/21 build) BOV has been re-engineered. As mentioned previously in my other thread by @UNBROKEN, the bypass valve in said models has been disabled in the ECM. I’m currently working with the guys at BOOMBA RACING to get things figured out (y)

Last edited:
Reactions
I agree! It would be pretty simple if it were located in the same spot as the 2020/ early 2021’s. So, according to everyone I’ve talked with at FORD, the late model 2021(mine is a 9/21 build) BOV has been re-engineered. As mentioned previously my other thread by @UNBROKEN, the bypass valve in said models has been disabled in the ECM. I’m currently working with the guys at BOOMBA RACING to get things figured out (y)
Please keep us updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
For those that changed their oem BOV to a TurboSmart BOV, did you notice any difference with the vehicles operation and or performance?

Reactions
How do they just disable and remove the BOV? Wouldn't the air then have no escape and be forced back through the turbo's slowing them down and causing excess wear on the impeller shaft?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
How do they just disable and remove the BOV? Wouldn't the air then have no escape and be forced back through the turbo's slowing them down and causing excess wear on the impeller shaft?
Kinda curious about their thought process as well.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You can easily eliminate the problem with ECU programming.

In the past you're WOT and let off the throttle suddenly- what happens is a big buildup in pressure between the compressor outlet and the closed throttle valve. With a blowoff valve, this extra pressure is vented into atmosphere or back into the airbox upstream of the compressor inlet.

Now, imagine you eliminate the BOV. How do you handle the buildup? You keep the throttle open and cut off the injectors. Remember the "throttle" is no longer controlled by a cable- it's controlled by the ECU. Pressure continues on into the engine and is then exhausted. Additionally, you can crank the cams to a high overlap position so as to decrease the compression braking...simple!

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Oh, and in case you're wondering why this hasn't been done before, I'd suggest it's probably a patent issue for whoever first described the solution. As soon as the patent cost fell below the cost to procure and install the BOV, the change was effected.

Reactions
Ah okay I see, that's interesting but makes total sense. Thanks for the info!

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You're welcome!

Reactions
Thanks TMac! Yeah I guess with all things controlled electronically it is simple.

Tommy

Reactions
Less weight = faster :).

So Ford either did it to address an issue or save a buck. Most likely it's fewer semiconductors but won't be "better" overall.

Meek828

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
To resurface this I have a 10/21 build. I ordered the charge pipe from FenFabrication that has the TurboSmart BOV attached to it. If they did do something with the tuning I wonder how it will work. Should be here this week, I’ll post the results though.

OP
Selldawg22
Reactions
Thread Starter #58
To resurface this I have a 10/21 build. I ordered the charge pipe from FenFabrication that has the TurboSmart BOV attached to it. If they did do something with the tuning I wonder how it will work. Should be here this week, I’ll post the results though.
Sounds good! I actually ordered the same thing, should be here in the next week or 2! Let me know how things go

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That’s a vacuum referenced BOV…you should have no issues. The older ones need a “fooler” for the computer…since it’s now killed in the computer I’d suspect you’re good to go.

Meek828

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
That’s a vacuum referenced BOV…you should have no issues. The older ones need a “fooler” for the computer…since it’s now killed in the computer I’d suspect you’re good to go.
Sure hoping so, and not a waste of money. Should be here Wednesday anyways

Explorer ST Posts