Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2021 ST BOV

Reactions
For those of you running a Turbosmart Raceport BOV and a ZFG Tune, what springs are you running in your BOV?
A pez candy dispenser spring hahaha :LOL::ROFLMAO:
Might hold boost longer before release to the atmosphere.

So the only option for 2021 with the factory BOV deleted is a charge pipe with BOV? I’m a little lost there.

STavo

Reactions
Vehicle
22 Ford explorer ST
You can easily eliminate the problem with ECU programming.

In the past you're WOT and let off the throttle suddenly- what happens is a big buildup in pressure between the compressor outlet and the closed throttle valve. With a blowoff valve, this extra pressure is vented into atmosphere or back into the airbox upstream of the compressor inlet.

Now, imagine you eliminate the BOV. How do you handle the buildup? You keep the throttle open and cut off the injectors. Remember the "throttle" is no longer controlled by a cable- it's controlled by the ECU. Pressure continues on into the engine and is then exhausted. Additionally, you can crank the cams to a high overlap position so as to decrease the compression braking...simple!
but wouldn’t that air that continues into the engine be bad considering it’s mostly air? Unless the ecu programs the injectors to run a certain amount of fuel so that it’s not lean? And would a fen fab charge pipe w bov be bad like needing a tune since it’s throwing different amounts of air pressure than it normally would?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
but wouldn’t that air that continues into the engine be bad considering it’s mostly air? Unless the ecu programs the injectors to run a certain amount of fuel so that it’s not lean? And would a fen fab charge pipe w bov be bad like needing a tune since it’s throwing different amounts of air pressure than it normally would?
Well, you're right, it's mostly air- in fact it's completely air. But if the injectors don't inject fuel, then the mixture isn't lean. For the second question, the charge pipe doesn't have anything to do with pressure per se. You're also dealing with a speed-density system, not a MAF based system, so many of the problems with that system aren't valid.

The control of the ECU on this engine is way beyond something you may have read about in the past or God forbid on some other forum! For example, it has vacuum operated wastegates- not based on pressure. Which means it can open the wastegates any time it wants. During cruise for better MPG, to eliminate knock (rather than the old way of only being able to retard timing), or in this case, (keep in mind the other things in my post that are happening), to open them at certain times when the "throttle" (also ecu controlled) is "closed". This keeps pressure build-up lower than it would normally be, lessens strain on the turbos, and actually makes the car faster, more efficient, and more robust.

If you're still confused, here is another post:
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/2021-st-bov.2576/post-41797
Follow the link in that post to the Ford patent- that should answer all questions and forever put to bed the idea that a BOV in the modern era is anything other than a throwback. Might just as well buy yourself a set of klaxon horns, fuzzy dice, and some lake pipes.

Last edited:
Reactions
What do you do with the original diverter valve location? Do you need a block-off plate or something?
Never installed it and sold it to another member so I can't answer your question .

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
What do you do with the original diverter valve location? Do you need a block-off plate or something?
The FenFab kit comes with a plate for the original BOV location and a pig tail for the wiring harness.

UWN

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Not to bring an old thread back to life but how do you guys have your Turbosmart BOV plugged in? I feel like it can go in both ways... Now I'm second guessing myself which way it is suppose to be plugged in... is this what getting old feels like? Is it possible someone can snap a photo quick?

Reactions
Vehicle
Could you be a bit more specific with your question?
Do you have an early '21 with a stock BOV you're replacing or a late '21 where you're adding a BOV by replacing the charge pipe with the FenFab charge charge pipe which allows for the added BOV?

UWN

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I have a MY 2020, the Turbosmart 50/50 bov plug that is attached to it seems to go both ways when plugging it into the factory connector. I'm curious if anyone had this issue or if I have an incorrect plug or part.... I didn't purchase this part as it was given to me through a friend.. this was on his ranger which seems to be the same part number but wanted to confirm.

Reactions
I'm confused on the "both ways" comment .

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Could you be a bit more specific with your question?
Do you have an early '21 with a stock BOV you're replacing or a late '21 where you're adding a BOV by replacing the charge pipe with the FenFab charge charge pipe which allows for the added BOV?
And if late 21 or 22 adding a BOV why would one do that when it's not needed and regulated through ECU

Reactions
And if late 21 or 22 adding a BOV why would one do that when it's not needed and regulated through ECU
He said plugging into the factory connector so i'm guessing he has one .

Reactions
Vehicle
Pshh pshhh

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Is there ever a reason to add a BOV on a 2023 model without one? For example, if you upgrade the turbos, then is it a mod that would be helpful? If it doesn’t either protect the engine, increase MPGs or add power, then I don’t need it.

SmittysST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 FORD Explorer ST
Wow! That was a read and a half... I was close to pulling the trigger on one of these 50/50 BOVs to gain some pshhh pshhh. Looks like my 23 doesn't have one nor will it benefit power or mileage. To have to go fen fab and all that just to add pshh pshhh seems like wasted money... thx all for the priceless info here!!!

Reactions
Vehicle
22 Explorer ST
First, before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, if you want a blow-off valve because you like the sound, go for it. But if you look at my posts, it has gnawed at me that people are not only adding BOVs, but also talking about "less lag in operation" and "better driveability". Now let's face it, there's always a placebo effect when someone spends money on their car and the butt dyno is highly suspect. So, I did some checking into mfgs anti-lag systems and BOVs and found the following Ford patent: https://patents.justia.com/patent/9714620

It's very, very slick.

I also found another patent from Porsche which I won't detail here dealing with their "Dynamic Boost" system, which shares some of the same basic operations. So, let me distill it down for you. It operates basically the same way as I detailed in post #51 in this thread, including the EGR operation (valve timing) but also includes operation of the lockup converter which I hadn't considered. What this means is that the BOV is basically useless (other than for some sound). Not only that, but by using a BOV you're actually stealing a bit of turbine speed during full throttle shifts by adding one, thus defeating the purpose of the anti-lag programming. Now honestly, this probably doesn't even equate to a 1/10 in the quarter (for those interested in such things), but it should illustrate that adding a BOV to make your car faster- well it's a pointless expense. Unless of course your need for a bit of "whoosh" outweighs your efforts to put down the best times.
I
First, before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, if you want a blow-off valve because you like the sound, go for it. But if you look at my posts, it has gnawed at me that people are not only adding BOVs, but also talking about "less lag in operation" and "better driveability". Now let's face it, there's always a placebo effect when someone spends money on their car and the butt dyno is highly suspect. So, I did some checking into mfgs anti-lag systems and BOVs and found the following Ford patent: https://patents.justia.com/patent/9714620

It's very, very slick.

I also found another patent from Porsche which I won't detail here dealing with their "Dynamic Boost" system, which shares some of the same basic operations. So, let me distill it down for you. It operates basically the same way as I detailed in post #51 in this thread, including the EGR operation (valve timing) but also includes operation of the lockup converter which I hadn't considered. What this means is that the BOV is basically useless (other than for some sound). Not only that, but by using a BOV you're actually stealing a bit of turbine speed during full throttle shifts by adding one, thus defeating the purpose of the anti-lag programming. Now honestly, this probably doesn't even equate to a 1/10 in the quarter (for those interested in such things), but it should illustrate that adding a BOV to make your car faster- well it's a pointless expense. Unless of course your need for a bit of "whoosh" outweighs your efforts to put down the best times.
Im extremely late on this entire forum… Beings that i just purchased the 22 Explorer ST. I agree with some of some of the points you’ve made. A BOV IS indeed completely pointless on the new age STs. Except for sound. But “stealing a bit a turbine speed”??? The vehicle has SOME sort of (let’s call) “relieve” valve. It HAS to. Whatever Ford did to remove a BOV, The extra, unused “boost” goes. SOMEWHERE. Now in my experience, (i’ve only ever messed with boosted LS motors) BOVs are safety for your turbo. You don’t want built up pressure to be pushed back into the compressor.. Am i wrong? I’m not a know it all, by any means. But as i stated previously, The extra boost goes somewhere, and it’s not to atmosphere. Cutting Injectors with an open TB, and allowing boost into the intake manifold? (This is what i have just READ on how it works). THAT sounds like serious lag issues. Dead injectors and extra air in the intake sounds like horrific air/fuel mixtures on re-acceleration. Now with that being said, It could possible vent through an open “exhaust” valve, but come on… With the amount of programming that took to do something like that i would expect more of a “power gain” per say than just a “hey we got rid of the whoosh”. I would love to see dyno sheets side by side on stock BOV STs vs. the New no BOV STs. Both Vehicles bone stock pump fuel. Just to see if there is ANY sort of difference. Cause it dang sure ain’t in fuel mileage lol. Also may i add. Why not have a BOV that recirculates boost back into the turbine to help it stay at speed..? You know kinda like a nitrous turbo set up. Now i may be COMPLETELY wrong on how any of this works. But i’m extremely curious on how it does work, Why does it work, why did they do it, and how can i make the most power out of it.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I

Im extremely late on this entire forum… Beings that i just purchased the 22 Explorer ST. I agree with some of some of the points you’ve made. A BOV IS indeed completely pointless on the new age STs. Except for sound. But “stealing a bit a turbine speed”??? The vehicle has SOME sort of (let’s call) “relieve” valve. It HAS to. Whatever Ford did to remove a BOV, The extra, unused “boost” goes. SOMEWHERE. Now in my experience, (i’ve only ever messed with boosted LS motors) BOVs are safety for your turbo. You don’t want built up pressure to be pushed back into the compressor.. Am i wrong? I’m not a know it all, by any means. But as i stated previously, The extra boost goes somewhere, and it’s not to atmosphere. Cutting Injectors with an open TB, and allowing boost into the intake manifold? (This is what i have just READ on how it works). THAT sounds like serious lag issues. Dead injectors and extra air in the intake sounds like horrific air/fuel mixtures on re-acceleration. Now with that being said, It could possible vent through an open “exhaust” valve, but come on… With the amount of programming that took to do something like that i would expect more of a “power gain” per say than just a “hey we got rid of the whoosh”. I would love to see dyno sheets side by side on stock BOV STs vs. the New no BOV STs. Both Vehicles bone stock pump fuel. Just to see if there is ANY sort of difference. Cause it dang sure ain’t in fuel mileage lol. Also may i add. Why not have a BOV that recirculates boost back into the turbine to help it stay at speed..? You know kinda like a nitrous turbo set up. Now i may be COMPLETELY wrong on how any of this works. But i’m extremely curious on how it does work, Why does it work, why did they do it, and how can i make the most power out of it.
Welcome to the forum

Explorer ST Posts