Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ZFG Racing DMS Custom Tunes!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions
ZFG RACING DMS (DRIVE MODE SPECIFIC) CUSTOM TUNING

https://www.tunedbyzfgracing.com/product-page/2020-23-ford-explorer-3-0l-zfg-racing-dms-custom-tune

ZFG Racing is excited to announce our new line of drive mode specific custom tuning for the Explorer and Aviator 3.0L engine platforms. This has been a goal for us for a long time and it has finally been made possible by our friends at HP tuners!

What is drive mode specific tuning?

Your vehicle comes with multiple drive modes that from the factory, and those drive modes modify shift points, shift firmness and pedal sensitivity but ultimately, the ecu did not have the ability to change things like the power levels, air fuel ratios and ignition timing by drive mode. That problem has been solved by our friends at HP Tuners and we can now offer a tune that addresses all of your tuning goals at once! No longer will you have to have a separate tune for different power levels/goals they will be all in one including a fully functional tow tune!

How will this work?

With a DMS tune you will be able to choose a specific tune goal for each drive mode! The goals will drive everything from power levels, pedal sensitivity, transmission characteristics and more. The tune goals will be Stock plus, Tow, Daily Driver, Performance and Race!

Will drive mods be fuel specific?

No, not at this time. It does not make sense to have tune where only one or 2 drive modes require a higher-octane fuel than the rest. At this time we will not be offering multiple specific fuel types within a tune. We will still be offering our Auto Octane tunes, 91, 93 and e50.

What power profiles will be available?

There will be 5 profiles available, and each profile will be able to be assigned to a drive mode. The 5 profiles are! Note: your drive mode will still maintain it’s pedal characteristics and shift points. Power level and transmission shift firmness will be adjusted based on the tune selection. Power profiles will be specified when you submit your stock file.

• Stock+
  • Tow
  • Daily Driver
  • Performance
  • Race

What power levels does each drive mode goal and fuel combinations make?

Similar to our standard offering, the tuning affects the maximum power output as well as driving characteristic. Maximum power in stock plus, daily driver and tow will be limited to specific curves where power in for a performance and race tune will be limited by other factors allowing the maximum power to be achieved based on your modifications!

Peak Gains (achieved when selecting a Performance or Race profile)

• Auto Octane- an adaptive tune that adjust the to octane level of the fuel being used. Typical gains of up to 50 hp and 50 ft-lbs of torque when using 93 octane with this tune!

• 91 and 93 Octane- Tunes specific to the rated octane level being used, while still maintaining the ability to turn down the power level if a lower octane level is use on accident. Typical gains of up to 75 hp and 75 ft-lbs!

• E50 supports additional ethanol content of 50%. Typical gains of up to 100 hp and 100ft-lbs!

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
So does this tune the drive modes that the rotary dial on the center console changes? Or is the tune selectable on a tuner device.

OP
ZFGracing
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
So does this tune the drive modes that the rotary dial on the center console changes? Or is the tune selectable on a tuner device.
The tune changes with the drive mode. And you can select what power profile you want in each drive mode. So you can have normal mode make stock horsepower and sport mode make all the power if you really want. Most people are going to put a daily driver tune and normal mode of performance or race tune in sport mode a tow tune in tow mode etc etc.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
The tune changes with the drive mode. And you can select what power profile you want in each drive mode. So you can have normal mode make stock horsepower and sport mode make all the power if you really want. Most people are going to put a daily driver tune and normal mode of performance or race tune in sport mode a tow tune in tow mode etc etc.

That’s awesome.

Reactions
This is exciting. Currently running your 93 but I'll be hitting you up soon! Very interested in switching to this!

R2D2

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
  • Stock+
  • Tow
  • Daily Driver
  • Performance
  • Race
Just to clarify for the forum members,

These drive modes will be assigned to 5 of the already existing 7 (Normal, Trail, Deep Snow/Sand, Slippery, Sport, Tow/Haul and Eco) drive modes on ST?
Do we get to choose which ones to be reprogrammed?
Will the remaining 2 drive modes remain full factory?
Customer have to use only the HP device, but is free to choose any fuel type they desire?

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
This is a really nice development! If you would please explain the difference between each profile.

OP
ZFGracing
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Just to clarify for the forum members,

These drive modes will be assigned to 5 of the already existing 7 (Normal, Trail, Deep Snow/Sand, Slippery, Sport, Tow/Haul and Eco) drive modes on ST?
Do we get to choose which ones to be reprogrammed?
Will the remaining 2 drive modes remain full factory?
Customer have to use only the HP device, but is free to choose any fuel type they desire?
There is a new form in tuning central.
https://www.tunedbyzfgracing.com/tdn-request-for-dms-tunes
You get to select what power profile goes to what mode with some limitations. Like tow haul can only be tow and only normal or sport can use race.

Fuel type is specified when you buy the tune. So a lot of people will have 93 DMS and E50 DMS. Just like other tunes, you buy one tune for $700 and the tunes after that are $350.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
I like that the pricing is adjusted for those of us that have already purchased tunes originally from you! I kinda wish I knew this was coming, I probably would have held off the "Launch Control" and moved over to this tune for DD.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
There is a new form in tuning central.
https://www.tunedbyzfgracing.com/tdn-request-for-dms-tunes
You get to select what power profile goes to what mode with some limitations. Like tow haul can only be tow and only normal or sport can use race.

Fuel type is specified when you buy the tune. So a lot of people will have 93 DMS and E50 DMS. Just like other tunes, you buy one tune for $700 and the tunes after that are $350.

So you could have one 93 tune and one E50 tune selectable? Thought you couldn’t have different fuel options??

Sorry for my confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
So you could have one 93 tune and one E50 tune selectable? Thought you couldn’t have different fuel options??

Sorry for my confusion.

you have to stick with one type of fuel. so you must decide if you're going to have to always mix to get E50 or make it easy on yourself and get the 91/93 tune instead.

Reactions
So to have one tune for each mode, it would be $2800?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
So to have one tune for each mode, it would be $2800?
No, you buy the one tune and you get the 5 modes you can change with the OEM knob.

I suppose if you want to choose different fuel types it could get expensive but would kinda defeat the purpose of getting this tune.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
No, you buy the one tune and you get the 5 modes you can change with the OEM knob.

I suppose if you want to choose different fuel types it could get expensive but would kinda defeat the purpose of getting this tune.
Reread Adam's post. Looks like $2100 for 5 tunes.

OP
ZFGracing
Reactions
Thread Starter #15

Sorry for my confusion.

No we are not going to offer it that way. One fuel selected for each tune. Auto octane, 91, 93, or e50. If you want to switch fuel you have to flash a new tune.

OP
ZFGracing
Reactions
Thread Starter #16
Reread Adam's post. Looks like $2100 for 5 tunes.
No that's how it works, that's how the standard tunes would. In the past if you wanted a stock, a tow, a daily driver, a performance and a race tune for say 93 octane those were all separate tunes. So the cost was 450+250+250+250+250=1450.

Now each one of those tune goals can be assigned to a drive mode rather than having a separate tune and it's only $700.

This is how we have always done our tuning goals but here are rough numbers let's say
stock is 330whp
Stock+ is 340whp
Tow is 340whp
Daily driver is 390whp
Performance is 420whp
race 430whp

In addition to the hp difference shift profiles schedules change, pedal sensitivity changes, shift firm changes, for each drive mode. Not all of that is "new" the big that that's new is being change the power level, spark timing, and fueling by drive mode.

Last edited:

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
No we are not going to offer it that way. One fuel selected for each tune. Auto octane, 91, 93, or e50. If you want to switch fuel you have to flash a new tune.

Thank you for the clarification. Loving your 93 tune at the moment. Just looking for a more convenient way to have an E50 tune available without a reflash

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Is anyone else confused? So for a newcomer without a tune, 5 tunes are now $700 with the DMS?

Reactions
Is anyone else confused? So for a newcomer without a tune, 5 tunes are now $700 with the DMS?
From what Adam shared, yes sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
ZFGracing
Reactions
Thread Starter #20
I'm not sure how I can be much more clear I can be. You are not getting 5 separate tunes. It's more like 5 in 1 but It's 1 tune to load on the car and within that you choose what drive mode gets what power profile/tune goal. You don't even have to pick 5. Here is what the form looks like when you submit your stock file maybe that will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.