Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ZFG 93 Tune - Order placed!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Extremely excited to get this going.

I'm a dad/family man, don't need the fastest ST out there, but if I can squeeze more out of it to make it even more enjoyable then sign me up lol

What other features should I have Adam change besides what I have listed below?
  • Turn off Auto Stop/Start
  • Show Gears Always
  • Rev Limiter (maybe)

Question, if you bring in your ST for service, are you guys flashing back to stock or no?

Last edited:

Chaseg08

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
You'll be very happy with your choice. I don't know about rev limiter. I asked him to turn off auto/start stop and show gears always and he did it.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
After my initial push-back for ZFG, really any tuner other than myself, I’ve discovered he (Adam) is very accommodating for anything you want done. That was my initial issue, that I have a few specific wants, that some bull-headed tuners don’t want to do. As for “the usual” stuff you can get the throttle-to-pedal ratio set how you want it. I like linear throttle in all modes, so Adam set them where I wanted. If you like the Sport mode boosted throttle you can get that too.

OP
TLST22
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
After my initial push-back for ZFG, really any tuner other than myself, I’ve discovered he (Adam) is very accommodating for anything you want done. That was my initial issue, that I have a few specific wants, that some bull-headed tuners don’t want to do. As for “the usual” stuff you can get the throttle-to-pedal ratio set how you want it. I like linear throttle in all modes, so Adam set them where I wanted. If you like the Sport mode boosted throttle you can get that too.
Is that what I feel when I’m in Sport mode? Feels like when I floor it it’s not actually fully opening up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Is that what I feel when I’m in Sport mode? Feels like when I floor it it’s not actually fully opening up?
Actually the ETC is fully open at around 1/2 pedal. That’s why it doesn’t feel “stronger/faster” after 1/2 pedal. It’s a common trick to make people think the vehicle is faster/quicker than it really is. I hate it because it is simply to fool people with a “feeling” of power. There is a large aftermarket for “pedal boosters” with many different names.

If Cobb Tuning ever decides to support the ExpST the pedal response would be adjustable on the fly regardless of drive mode. I’ve asked them several times about it and the answer is “not likely”.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
What’s the rev limiter?
Also, curious about the bringing it back to stock for service appointments question.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
What’s the rev limiter?
Also, curious about the bringing it back to stock for service appointments question.
Rev limiter is the max RPM the computer allows the engine to run at. Regarding putting back to stock, some do, some don't. It really depends on your dealer. I am not expecting post tune warranty coverage but if they want to go ahead and support it because they don't look too hard then I'm ok with that too.

colliedog

Reactions
Getting ready to order from ZFG but I am curious what is everyone saying when they order under "tuning goal"? This is my daily driver but i want to get as much power out of this tune as I safely can.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
This is my daily driver but i want to get as much power out of this tune as I safely can.
Yes, this is all you need to say for power.

Reactions
For those that purchased tuner and tune from ZFG, how long did it take to received the order??? Placed mine 7 days ago today and haven’t heard anything. No biggie or rush, I’m just excited.

Last edited:
Reactions
Extremely excited to get this going.

I'm a dad/family man, don't need the fastest ST out there, but if I can squeeze more out of it to make it even more enjoyable then sign me up lol

What other features should I have Adam change besides what I have listed below?
  • Turn off Auto Stop/Start
  • Show Gears Always
  • Rev Limiter (maybe)

Question, if you bring in your ST for service, are you guys flashing back to stock or no?
How long did your order take to hit your door?

Last edited:
OP
TLST22
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12
How long did your order take to hit your door?
2 days to receive my RTD+ tuner and 2 or 3 additional days to receive my base tune after sending in my log.

Reactions
Lol it’s been over a week having seen or heard anything.

OP
TLST22
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
Lol it’s been over a week having seen or heard anything.
Have you reached out to Adam about it? Text him, the number is on their website I think.

Reactions
Have you reached out to Adam about it? Text him, the number is on their website I think.
Ya thx, you were correct the devices are on back order. I can wait..although i feel like a 10 year old waiting for Xmas to come. Camping out at the door and checking my email every 15 minutes.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Which tuner is on back order and how long of a lead time?

Reactions
Which tuner is on back order and how long of a lead time?
ZFG, I was told later this week, it would have been nice to get a heads up that they are back ordered..before ordering. But I understand ZFG( or have heard) are busy. I got no problem waiting but again a heads up would have been nice.

Reactions
ZFG, I was told later this week, it would have been nice to get a heads up that they are back ordered..before ordering. But I understand ZFG( or have heard) are busy. I got no problem waiting but again a heads up would have been nice.
Same experience, and when I reached out, all of the answers -- which were delayed -- were very short and even vague at times. I've heard great things about Adam on this forum, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I suppose I just expected more. I actually am on a time crunch as I wanted him to ship me the the RTD+ to the US/CAN border ahead of time as my Whipple is waiting there but I don't even think he's shipped it -- I also wasn't aware these things are on backorder as it was never mentioned to me either...

Kind of regretting spending almost $1200 CAD on this right now...

EDIT: Also got clarification the RTD+ is on backorder as of tonight. Super excited for the tune and am confident I will be more than happy when it is a reality, but I'm just a bit put off by the delay. Could be backed-up like a lot of things with COVID too, maybe?

Last edited:
OP
TLST22
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #19
Same experience, and when I reached out, all of the answers -- which were delayed -- were very short and even vague at times. I've heard great things about Adam on this forum, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I suppose I just expected more. I actually am on a time crunch as I wanted him to ship me the the RTD+ to the US/CAN border ahead of time as my Whipple is waiting there but I don't even think he's shipped it -- I also wasn't aware these things are on backorder as it was never mentioned to me either...

Kind of regretting spending almost $1200 CAD on this right now...

EDIT: Also got clarification the RTD+ is on backorder as of tonight. Super excited for the tune and am confident I will be more than happy when it is a reality, but I'm just a bit put off by the delay. Could be backed-up like a lot of things with COVID too, maybe?
I love ZFG and Adam's tune but you're 100% correct. He could use some work on his customer service skills. Short and vague are the response I got from him. I even tried to have some humor and yeah that didn't go anywhere.

Listen, we're all busy. Some of us have two jobs with either a family or no family. In my case, I have a single job and a family and dogs so I can relate to all my fellow fathers and bread winners when it comes with providing for your family while still trying to find time to do something you enjoy. With that said, if you're going to run a business, have some customer service skill and go above and beyond when a customer is asking for an update or has some questions. It goes a long way.

Reactions
Yes, you are absolutely correct. I also have a busy family life and run my own business that is extremely busy. I would never take that amount of time to respond to an inquiry (or not respond altogether). As good of work as he does, he certainly charges more than anyone else offering a similar product, but has so far lacked in the customer service department. 5-Star -- though seemingly not as good of a product -- had fantastic communication when I reached out to them originally. We will see where this goes, as it is putting me in quite a bind and I may end up requesting a refund and going with a different tuner. Hate to say it, but I've held up my end of the bargain to this point. Can't say the same for ZFG as of yet...