Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Your ST's pet name??

Reactions
Big Red—used that name just to tick off one of my friends who has a red Ram 1500–told him I got the copyright on the name so he has to change his

Blackssr

Reactions
Big Red—used that name just to tick off one of my friends who has a red Ram 1500–told him I got the copyright on the name so he has to change his
"Big Red" was the name that the trainers and owners of Secretariat called him. Secretariat was the greatest Thoroughbred to ever live.
"Big Red" AKA Secretariat made the covers of Time, Newsweek and Sports Illustrated – something that hadn't happened before, or since. Those are tough shoes to fill. Lol

Attachments

Blackssr

Reactions
My vehicles all have no gender and no name.
However, I am trying to train the wife from calling it "the truck".

I have loathed SUV's for years, but I made an exception for the ST.
How could they have no gender?.. All vehicles, ocean going vessels, airplanes are all female.. you must be a millennial .. men created them, therefore they are female. I was a Defense Contractor for Military Sealift Command and The Department of Defense. The Captain of the marine vessels were "married" to the vessels thus they were refer to as female or "She". Anything created by man is known as "She". When referring to my Hellcat Challenger: I would often say "She" is a handful to drive. See... it just flows nice.
My oldest niece, 21, hates when I refer to any vehicle, marine vessel, or aircraft as "She". I just spent the holidays with her, she is a vegan, a feminist, drives a freaking Prius and is a tree hugger. She actually thinks a women opinion matters. . I now know why she doesn't have a boyfriend. What guy would tolerate all her quirks. I told her if she said "yes" more she'd have a man in her life. Lol.
My brother was speechless when we had this discussion on Thanksgiving. He knows deep down I'm right. I would hate to be a 22-year-old guy and have to date the lunatic women of today.

Last edited:
Reactions
"Big Red" was the name that the trainers and owners of Secretariat called him. Secretariat was the greatest Thoroughbred to ever live.
"Big Red" AKA Secretariat made the covers of Time, Newsweek and Sports Illustrated – something that hadn't happened before, or since. Those are tough shoes to fill. Lol
I actually saw him race at Arlington Park--The Line was Secretariat, or the rest of the field. I also told my friend he could have "Little Red Riding Hood" for his ram.

Blackssr

Reactions
I actually saw him race at Arlington Park--The Line was Secretariat, or the rest of the field. I also told my friend he could have "Little Red Riding Hood" for his ram.
I had started this thread a few weeks ago .Legends of sport.. | Explorer ST Forum
.. But no one cared. :-(.. Watch Secretariat in the race of the century at the Belmont. It still gives me chills when Chic Anderson says " He is moving like a tremendous machine".. His nostrils flared, his focus on total annihilation. Ronnie never even whipped Secretariat, he just
road him effortlessly into the history books. A photo was taken of Ronnie Turcotte looking back at the rest of field in disbelief of what was unfolding. Truly spectacular event in sports history The race forever confirms he was the greatest thoroughbred.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions
Black Beauty. My black VW Sportwagen was Vader. My daughter likes the name she recognized the reference to the book Black Beauty

ASmith

Reactions
Grimm, when I first went to pick her up my delivery was for 10am ,she was filthy, so I told them I would come back later in the day. We came back in the afternoon and was cleaner but still not perfect. I took her home and actually cleaned her top to bottom properly. I jokingly called her Grimm because of the delivery and it stuck!

Attachments

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
At this point mine could only be called “Missing the Action”. :LOL: I did however see another member just today say that they were getting theirs on Mar. 20th. Gave me some hope that mine may also get built.

Reactions
"The Beast" I know that's the nickname for the presidential Limo...but nothing else seemed to fit ...the first minute I drove her, that was all I could think of that fit! 1614051520244.png

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Nickname for my ST is the Blue Beast also . I agree

OP
LAX_24/7
Reactions
Thread Starter #74
Keep em coming..

Loving what I'm reading...

Reactions
Not that a really name my vehicles when Ford Pass asked for a name first thing to come to mind was Spendy so I guess that's it's name until I start cussing at it.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
We call ours an Exploder too. That name has been in my head for however long it's been since the years (early - mid 90's I think) when some of these were known to have electrical/fire (cruise control switch as I remember) as well as the Firestone tire blowout problems.

The tire issue was a combination of a bad Firestone design (90% of the problem) and Explorer owners running that problem tire underinflated. The sidewalls couldn't take the heat and more or less exploded (blowout) causing the vehicle to roll. This tire failed on other heavier vehicles as well, it's just that the Explorer used them as an OE tire hence the high number of failures on a specific vehicle. Mostly a Firestone issue but Ford got the black eye and took the hit for it.

The cruise control switch issue resulted in a number of those older vehicles to burn to the ground and of course when this happened gas tanks exploded.

I'm not really sure which issue earned them the nickname but at one point they were designated "Exploders" and that name has just stuck with me.

Last edited:

Explorer ST Posts