Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Legends of sport..

Blackssr

Reactions
There has been debate by many sports historians on which event was the greatest in sports history. Some say it was when America defeated the Soviets in hockey in Lake placid in 1980. Others say it was when the Rangers won the Stanley cup. Some radicals even say it was Evil Knievel's crash at Caesar's palace in 1967.

Historians around the globe agree on one thing. Secretariats performance at the Belmont stakes in 1973 was one of the most spectacular sporting events in history. On a beautiful day in Belmont New York, Secretariat raced into the record books. The beauty and magic of this race was that he was faster in every quarter than the previous quarter. His record still stands today. Every triple crown winner since has been compared to Secretariat and their times are two to three seconds slower. He was the greatest Thoroughbred to ever live.
Watching this race from start to finish and hearing Chic Andersons call of this iconic race still gives me chills. I grew up around race horses, as my father had many race horses and instead of going to Disney World we went to racetracks. As I got older, I remember vaguely being at the Belmont stakes with my father watching this iconic race. We debated for years after if Secretariat had taken a drug called Lasix. At that time there was no way to test for it but his performance indicate perhaps he was on Lasix. The jockey, Ronnie Turcotte, road Secretariat into the history books and never once took out his whip. Big Red as Secretariat was known was "moving like a tremendous machine" and defeated Sham, the number two horse in grandiose fashion. Sham never raced again. It truly was a spectacular showing by the legendary iconic Secretariat. There's no denying what Secretariat did on that day was worthy of the title of one of the greatest sporting events in history. He won the Belmont by 31 lengths. Today with all the advances in feeding and training a horse has never come close to beating his record. I truly believe that record will stand forever.

Last edited:
Reactions
Not sure, there are so many. But I would say Lake Placid, just because of the meaning. I was 11 at the time, growing up in Kansas obviously hockey meant nothing to me then. In a Kansas/Nebraska small farm town its summer baseball and football at that age.

I went to Churchill Downs in Louisville to take pictures (for my mother) at the Kentucky Derby Museum and was not overly impressed, but then again I am not a horse guy either. Someone else might love it...

Ty

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I grew up in Chicago .
So I would always watch Walter Payton as an adult.
When the Bears won the super bowl , 1985-1986 .that's is still rememberd as the greatest dense ever. I did get to see one game.
Then there was Michael Jordan. What can I say ...the greatest bball player of all times.
Got to see him one time.
Great athletes , great human beings.

Jim

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Not sure, there are so many. But I would say Lake Placid, just because of the meaning. I was 11 at the time, growing up in Kansas obviously hockey meant nothing to me then. In a Kansas/Nebraska small farm town its summer baseball and football at that age.

I went to Churchill Downs in Louisville to take pictures (for my mother) at the Kentucky Derby Museum and was not overly impressed, but then again I am not a horse guy either. Someone else might love it...

Ty
You don't necessarily have to be a fan of a particular sport to fully appreciate a spectacular showing. I don't like basketball but I could admire Michael Jordan. I'm sure you get the point. What Secretariat did that day was nothing short of incredible. The call of the race by Chic Anderson was also voted the greatest call in sports history. In my opinion Al Michaels "do you believe in miracles" is right up there with Chic Anderson's "Secretariat is moving like a tremendous machine". It is obvious both announcers were in awe and somewhat disbelief at what they were seeing and could not contain their emotions. A beautiful thing to witness and be part of.

Reactions
I grew up in Chicago .
So I would always watch Walter Payton as an adult.
When the Bears won the super bowl , 1985-1986 .that's is still rememberd as the greatest dense ever. I did get to see one game.
Then there was Michael Jordan. What can I say ...the greatest bball player of all times.
Got to see him one time.
Great athletes , great human beings.

Jim
What part of Chicago--I grew up in Arlington Heights when it was considered "the boonies"

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
North Side ,2 blocks north of Wrigley Field.
Did you ever go to Riverview?

It ain't the same as it was 60 years ago.

I went to see it back about 10 years ago.

Arlington heights is North and west.
Nice suburb 50 years ago.

Jim

Reactions
North Side ,2 blocks north of Wrigley Field.
Did you ever go to Riverview?

It ain't the same as it was 60 years ago.

I went to see it back about 10 years ago.

Arlington heights is North and west.
Nice suburb 50 years ago.

Jim
Yea--got to Riverview at least once a year as a kid. My Grandmother would take me. Usually made it to a couple of Cubs games a year. Moved to Wisconsin 4 years ago, after over 30 years in Northern Virginia outside DC. Made it back to Wrigley a couple of years ago--brought back a bunch of memories.

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Back on topic, Chicago always be was an epicenter for sports.

Loved the Bears most, Bulls, Cubs , White sox, Blackhawks.

Jim

Reactions
You don't necessarily have to be a fan of a particular sport to fully appreciate a spectacular showing. I don't like basketball but I could admire Michael Jordan. I'm sure you get the point. What Secretariat did that day was nothing short of incredible. The call of the race by Chic Anderson was also voted the greatest call in sports history. In my opinion Al Michaels "do you believe in miracles" is right up there with Chic Anderson's "Secretariat is moving like a tremendous machine". It is obvious both announcers were in awe and somewhat disbelief at what they were seeing and could not contain their emotions. A beautiful thing to witness and be part of.
I agree, not arguing with you. Just stated my opinion, it is a great spectacle, but more appreciative if a person actually enjoys that sport.

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #10
I agree, not arguing with you. Just stated my opinion, it is a great spectacle, but more appreciative if a person actually enjoys that sport.
I hear you my brother, not even a small argument here. If it came off that way you mistake my intent and I apologize. Words are difficult to convey true expression. We are all good.

Last edited:
Reactions
I hear you my brother, not even a small argument here. If it came off that way you mistake my intent and I apologize for coming off that way. Words are difficult to convey true expression. We are all good.
Bad choice of words on my part, I moderate on our Turbo Buick ( Grand National ) Board. Happens all the time, have a great Sunday. 8-12" of snow here today......... Fireplace, Food and Football. Go Chiefs!

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Bad choice of words on my part, I moderate on our Turbo Buick ( Grand National ) Board. Happens all the time, have a great Sunday. 8-12" of snow here today......... Fireplace, Food and Football. Go Chiefs!
What is Snow....???? Hahaha 78 and powder blue skies in South Florida. Clay barred my three cars and waxed them. Life is good.