Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Worlds quickest and fastest Explorer ST hits the dyno!

OP
ZFGracing
Reactions
Thread Starter #21
I prefer street and track tuning. The dyno has its place, but honestly with how much data I get back from these it's really not needed to get 95% of the way there.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions
My point is that the Dyno is not the end all. Results on the actual pavement trump the Dyno. Dyno is a great starting point, and with a race Car, most of which are manual the Dyno is a good measure of how it will do vs another car, driver and shifting being the same.

Just for clarification, I have spent A LOT of time both on a Track and working on legit race cars. Mostly SCCA, and NASA, but NASCAR too. Spotted for several seasons of late model, and did suspension setup. I have been around. Not clueless. Heck, my 69 year old dad is still throwing a car around a Track at Summit Point and VIR. I am fairly new to this going only straight...

This Dyno is it, or 1/4 is it does not give you the whole package. Most of these owners will not take it to a 1/4 Track or pay for a dyno. They just want to beat the unsuspecting BMW off the line, or embarrass some FIAT’s.

Dyno’s do not give the whole picture on these ST’s. Shifting is IMPORTANT! When we were working on the E50 and 93 Tunes for these, we gained many 10ths in just working on shifting. Adam@ZFG sent a revision with changes, me and a few others went out and ran them, gave logs, impressions, and times. We learned what worked and what didn’t. This is why logging and not just Dyno tuning is important. Power is great, but if you can’t put it down it is pointless.

This is why Adam@ZFG’s approach is SO important. Baseline tunes, logging to see how your car responds, and adjusting from there. Not just one and done. The proof is in the results. For me it is 0-60 right now, because my local Track is closed(COVID).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
While I agree with you 100% that getting real world data is crucial, you said earlier that dyno numbers were "useless", which is just incorrect.

I have been racing and wrenching since 1981, and actually did pretty well building and racing sportbikes in the mid-2000's, on road courses (I have raced at both Summit and VIR multiple times), 1/4 mile, and top speed stuff, and I can tell you first hand that dynos were a key ingredient in all of those wins, alongside real world data acquisition. I even spent some time working for Amato Racing on Top Fuel dragsters.

A dyno is never a "one and done" situation, and no one in this thread ever said it was, so I'm not sure where you got that from.

Anyway, someone asking for a dyno chart of a tune is in no way a bad thing, because it will show the power under the curve, not just the peak HP/TQ numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions
Reactions
Just for clarification, I have spent A LOT of time both on a Track and working on legit race cars. Mostly SCCA, and NASA, but NASCAR too. Spotted for several seasons of late model, and did suspension setup. I have been around. Not clueless. Heck, my 69 year old dad is still throwing a car around a Track at Summit Point and VIR. I am fairly new to this going only straight...
Dude, I don't know what you're smokin, but NASA ain't buildin race cars... <grin>

lol
Joe_Breezyjr