Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Worlds quickest and fastest Explorer ST hits the dyno!

Reactions
To wrap up the season theo put his st on the dyno! This is the tune that has been best et of 11.57 and mph of 118.5.

530 awhp and 532 ft-lbs of torque! You can see how I keep the torque limited and nice and flat. There is a video on our Facebook page.

These do dyno from about 320 to 340 hp on a Mustang dyno stock with 93 octane. So this is a pretty decent gain for still having the stock turbo.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions
To wrap up the season theo put his st on the dyno! This is the tune that has been best et of 11.57 and mph of 118.5.

530 awhp and 532 ft-lbs of torque! You can see how I keep the torque limited and nice and flat. There is a video on our Facebook page.

These do dyno from about 320 to 340 hp on a Mustang dyno stock with 93 octane. So this is a pretty decent gain for still having the stock turbo.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
E85?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Reactions

LokiWolf

Reactions
What do the numbers look like in 93?
Not sure any ZFG ST’s on 93 that have been on a dyno. Most of us find it to be a waste of money. The dyno does not equate to the street directly.

The above ST has more than a tune...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
Not sure any ZFG ST’s on 93 that have been on a dyno. Most of us find it to be a waste of money. The dyno does not equate to the street directly.

The above ST has more than a tune...

Same day Dyno runs are a waste of money? How? You’re comparing stock vs modifications... You get to see right up front what your gains are...

LokiWolf

Reactions
Same day Dyno runs are a waste of money? How? You’re comparing stock vs modifications... You get to see right up front what your gains are...
Sure you see your number changes...but useless for real world. Tuning these things, the Trans is as important to the Motor.

LMS has Dyno numbers for a Stock and 93 tune and the numbers look good. But they are a 1/2 a second off 0-60 on the street vs ZFG or PBD. Pretty sure PBD has published numbers too.

Dyno is just numbers. On the street 0-60 is what matters for these things. That is where you are going to feel it and use it the most.

All I need to know...5.3 Stock, 4.02 ZFG 93, and 3.72 ZFG E50...should break 3.7 tonight if I am lucky with the cool air. My ST only has a Drop In dry filter, and Tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
Sure you see your number changes...but useless for real world. Tuning these things, the Trans is as important to the Motor.

LMS has Dyno numbers for a Stock and 93 tune and the numbers look good. But they are a 1/2 a second off 0-60 on the street vs ZFG or PBD. Pretty sure PBD has published numbers too.

Dyno is just numbers. On the street 0-60 is what matters for these things. That is where you are going to feel it and use it the most.

All I need to know...5.3 Stock, 4.02 ZFG 93, and 3.72 ZFG E50...should break 3.7 tonight if I am lucky with the cool air. My ST only has a Drop In dry filter, and Tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
Nice response...

I’ve just NEVER in 20+ years of racing and modifying vehicles heard of using the 0-60 times to quantify modifications... this is the only place I’ve ever come across it.

Anyway, I’m excited to see what type of results I get. I’m going to get it down the the track and do some baseline runs, drop the tune in and see what happens.

LokiWolf

Reactions
I’ve just NEVER in 20+ years of racing and modifying vehicles heard of using the 0-60 times to quantify modifications... this is the only place I’ve ever come across it.

Anyway, I’m excited to see what type of results I get. I’m going to get it down the the track and do some baseline runs, drop the tune in and see what happens.
Looking forward to the numbers.

Reactions
Dyno runs are extremely important in racing, anyone who says otherwise hasn't built many race vehicles.

While the peak number isn't important, the numbers under the curve are key to being quick/fast. That is where dyno runs come into play. I would rather an 800whp vehicle that makes power from 3,000-8,000RPM instead of a vehicle that makes 1,000whp at 8,000RPM, but only from 6,000-8,000RPM.

Reactions
Dyno runs are extremely important in racing, anyone who says otherwise hasn't built many race vehicles.

While the peak number isn't important, the numbers under the curve are key to being quick/fast. That is where dyno runs come into play. I would rather an 800whp vehicle that makes power from 3,000-8,000RPM instead of a vehicle that makes 1,000whp at 8,000RPM, but only from 6,000-8,000RPM.
I was really getting concerned about this forum... finally some sensible posting.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST

which why it is so important that ZFG tunes are torque-based and he is ensuring a flat curve from 3k all the way to 5k. from a "racer's perspective" the dyno sheet above is WAY more preferable than PBD's published one.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’ve always done my tuning on the street. Numbers are just there...they don’t mean anything if you can’t put it down. My street logged tune claimed 2 392 Challengers and a new Camaro SS in Mexico today and straight embarrassed an Audi SQ5 SUV that thought I’d be easy pickings.
What does it make?
No clue...but the real world results speak for themselves.

LokiWolf

Reactions
My point is that the Dyno is not the end all. Results on the actual pavement trump the Dyno. Dyno is a great starting point, and with a race Car, most of which are manual the Dyno is a good measure of how it will do vs another car, driver and shifting being the same.

Just for clarification, I have spent A LOT of time both on a Track and working on legit race cars. Mostly SCCA, and NASA, but NASCAR too. Spotted for several seasons of late model, and did suspension setup. I have been around. Not clueless. Heck, my 69 year old dad is still throwing a car around a Track at Summit Point and VIR. I am fairly new to this going only straight...

This Dyno is it, or 1/4 is it does not give you the whole package. Most of these owners will not take it to a 1/4 Track or pay for a dyno. They just want to beat the unsuspecting BMW off the line, or embarrass some FIAT’s.

Dyno’s do not give the whole picture on these ST’s. Shifting is IMPORTANT! When we were working on the E50 and 93 Tunes for these, we gained many 10ths in just working on shifting. Adam@ZFG sent a revision with changes, me and a few others went out and ran them, gave logs, impressions, and times. We learned what worked and what didn’t. This is why logging and not just Dyno tuning is important. Power is great, but if you can’t put it down it is pointless.

This is why Adam@ZFG’s approach is SO important. Baseline tunes, logging to see how your car responds, and adjusting from there. Not just one and done. The proof is in the results. For me it is 0-60 right now, because my local Track is closed(COVID).

LokiWolf

Reactions
I’ve always done my tuning on the street. Numbers are just there...they don’t mean anything if you can’t put it down. My street logged tune claimed 2 392 Challengers and a new Camaro SS in Mexico today and straight embarrassed an Audi SQ5 SUV that thought I’d be easy pickings.
What does it make?
No clue...but the real world results speak for themselves.
Nice!

It is SO much fun taking down the FIAT’s!