Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Wireless CarPlay

Reactions
Just a heads up for those that are looking for a wireless CarPlay solution, I just received my CarPlay2Air unit (carplay2air.com). Bottom line is that it works well in the ST, but didn’t work correctly out of the box. It kept attempting to make an initial connection, never displayed anything cleanly on the screen (a bunch of artifacting and gibberish), then disconnected. I was getting ready to pack it back up and ask for a refund, but gave the software update process a shot, and it worked!

If anyone else purchases the CarPlay2Air, just know that you’ll need to follow the instructions for upgrading to get it to work correctly. One last thing, I emailed them before I purchased to ask about any discounts, and the guy sent me back 10% off - use code 10NOW when you checkout.

OP
StormTrooper
Reactions
Thread Starter #2
I ran errands all day back and forth, and noticed my phone connecting inconsistently to the CarPlay2Air. I ended up forgetting the Ford Explorer Bluetooth connection on my iPhone (dropping it from my list of devices), which seems to have cleared it up. So basically I’m forgoing Sync3 altogether in lieu of using wireless CarPlay.

KegsBdry

Reactions
I ran errands all day back and forth, and noticed my phone connecting inconsistently to the CarPlay2Air. I ended up forgetting the Ford Explorer Bluetooth connection on my iPhone (dropping it from my list of devices), which seems to have cleared it up. So basically I’m forgoing Sync3 altogether in lieu of using wireless CarPlay.
Do you suspect this is a resolution to the issue of Bluetooth streaming of media (songs on my phone or Pandora streaming music) becoming choppy after a few songs played? It goes in and out as though the signal is bad. But I got 5 bars signal and using Android.

OP
StormTrooper
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
It certainly helps, but nothing is going to sound as clean as wired CarPlay.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Might try that wired carplay first. Not a big fan of the CarPlay, makes a fully functional phone work half as well. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions
No luck at all for me on this. Unit says update successful but then when it reconnects, still says an update is available. Connects and plays music but no Carplay screen with icons. Just a constant "connecting" message and some small jiberish... Do you have the 10.1 tablet screen or the smaller version? I've got the 10.1.

Reactions
No luck at all for me on this. Unit says update successful but then when it reconnects, still says an update is available. Connects and plays music but no Carplay screen with icons. Just a constant "connecting" message and some small jiberish... Do you have the 10.1 tablet screen or the smaller version? I've got the 10.1.
Solved my problem after finding a message board solely dedicated to converting wired to wireless Carplay. Had to download an older firmware that plays nice with Sync 3 and presto it works like a champ. Fits nicely in the center console and only takes 20 seconds or so to connect. This was the biggest feature I wanted out of Sync 4, so hopefully I'm a little more future proofed now! Now if only Ford would release an update to improve response time on the unit I'd be set. (probably a hardware issue, but wishful thinking)

Reactions
Solved my problem after finding a message board solely dedicated to converting wired to wireless Carplay. Had to download an older firmware that plays nice with Sync 3 and presto it works like a champ. Fits nicely in the center console and only takes 20 seconds or so to connect. This was the biggest feature I wanted out of Sync 4, so hopefully I'm a little more future proofed now! Now if only Ford would release an update to improve response time on the unit I'd be set. (probably a hardware issue, but wishful thinking)
care to share?

db6

Reactions
Installed this last weekend, with no issues. Still trying to figure out how best to use carplay. Expected a lot more functionality than I got. Be really nice if Waze filled up more of the screen. Unit functions as advertised, carplay, no big deal.

Reactions
Installed this last weekend, with no issues. Still trying to figure out how best to use carplay. Expected a lot more functionality than I got. Be really nice if Waze filled up more of the screen. Unit functions as advertised, carplay, no big deal.
How did you get it to be wireless?

Reactions
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/carplay-adapter-to-convert-to-wireless-carplay.2193978/page-167

The carplay2air dongle works great in my ST but not without the occasional hiccup. Love the convenience of leaving my phone in my pocket and automatically launching Carplay. Ford's navigation, while it fills and looks good on the big screen, sucks on voice commands and address / POI lookups. Actually surprised carmakers even bother with their own navigation anymore other than to upcharge.

https://carplay2air.com/

Reactions
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/carplay-adapter-to-convert-to-wireless-carplay.2193978/page-167

The carplay2air dongle works great in my ST but not without the occasional hiccup. Love the convenience of leaving my phone in my pocket and automatically launching Carplay. Ford's navigation, while it fills and looks good on the big screen, sucks on voice commands and address / POI lookups. Actually surprised carmakers even bother with their own navigation anymore other than to upcharge.

https://carplay2air.com/
You really have to flash some old firmware? Why?

Reactions
You really have to flash some old firmware? Why?
Probably not now. You'll most likely just need to do a standard over the air update to get the latest (instructions ship with unit) I just happened to get a out of the box firmware version that did not play nice with Sync 3 at the time. My only advice is once you have a version that works for you, do not continue to update as the developers strive to build a one size fits all firmware, and usually end up screwing up one manufacturer while fixing another.

This thing is not a perfect solution, but one I'm more than happy with for the roughly $100 pricetag.

db6

Reactions
had to perform a normal update, followed the instrctions and it connected to my phone.You need to ensure you phone is not connected to wifi as you install

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Got the Carlinkit v2.0 adapter from Amazon. I'd rather pay more for the fast shipping and easy return if I can't get it to work. I hooked it up and followed the setup instructions and was doing wireless carplay in about 5 min. I then updated the dongle. Still works. Fyi carplay2air is supposedly a carlinkit dongle that is rebranded.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Got the Carlinkit v2.0 adapter from Amazon. I'd rather pay more for the fast shipping and easy return if I can't get it to work. I hooked it up and followed the setup instructions and was doing wireless carplay in about 5 min. I then updated the dongle. Still works. Fyi carplay2air is supposedly a carlinkit dongle that is rebranded.
Hey, digging up this old thread. Could you confirm you purchased from the manufacturer on Amazon or from one of the resellers. Trying to avoid copycats with bad firmware.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yes, it is from the manufacturer and fulfilled by Amazon. That said, I spent 3 1/2 weeks of frustration. Sometimes it works OK, sometimes it is super glitchy. Newer firmware fixed some issues and break others. In the end, I returned it. Thankfully, with Amazon, it was super easy to return. YMMV. My 2020 is an early build and for sure there are newer APIM firmware that the newer 2020-2021's have--but I'm at a loss why some have no issues with it.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST (Agate Black)
CarPlay2Air (& CarlinkKit) from my understanding both function by setting up a Wifi link w/ your cellphone. So with that in mind for those of you that have added Wifi subscriptions/plans to your ST you won't be able to utilize both or at least thats what I've been told. If anyone knows otherwise please enlighten me.

Blackssr

Reactions