Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Wireless CarPlay

Reactions
I used that adapter for a while. Never had issues connecting but when I tried to use the 'talk' button on the steering it would always disconnect. It was kind of a pain in the ass to tell you truth. So, I stopped using it. Maybe I need to update the firmware....what is the process for doing that?

Reactions
I used that adapter for a while. Never had issues connecting but when I tried to use the 'talk' button on the steering it would always disconnect. It was kind of a pain in the ass to tell you truth. So, I stopped using it. Maybe I need to update the firmware....what is the process for doing that?
I am having the same issue on my 2020 ST. About to toss the thing if I can't figure it out. Nothing from support yet. Any answers on this?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I am having the same issue on my 2020 ST. About to toss the thing if I can't figure it out. Nothing from support yet. Any answers on this?
google it. you just enter the ip address. there will be a little symbol you hit and it will look up any updates and ask if you want to proceed. I last used the December update and it was glitchy as hell. I was fussing with it more than i was enjoying it so i sent it back. I don't know how anyone could find it acceptable in iur cars.

Staggie

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
IP address is: 192.168.50.2 when you’re connected to the wireless device.

mulligan

Reactions
I had the same results. I can't return it as I waited too long. Figured I'd throw it in a drawer and try it again after a few firmware updates are released.
I had the same results. I can't return it as I waited too long. Figured I'd throw it in a drawer and try it again after a few firmware updates are released.

Reactions

The problem that I discovered is that newer firmware updates break things that were previously working on some cars, and fixes them on others. I have the image file that you can update your Carplay2air dongle with that works on Ford Sync 3.4, but this site will not let me attach an .img file.

This particular firmware works pretty flawlessly, including the Siri commands that the newer firmwares cause disconnects on.

If anyone can tell me how to upload this file, I will be happy to.

Nine29

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I ordered this without first reading this thread...sounds like I just wasted $117!

Reactions
I ordered this without first reading this thread...sounds like I just wasted $117!
Here is the link to the firmware version that works on my 2020 ST:

https://github.com/ludwig-v/wireles...mware/U2W_Update_2020.08.04.1602_ROLLBACK.img

Click the download button and save the file as : "U2W_Update" (Exactly as I typed, no quotes)

Erase and format a USB drive (I used a 4GB) using FAT32 formatting. Copy the above file to the newly formatted drive (make sure it is the only file on the drive)

plug the USB drive into the CarPlay2Air dongle

plug the dongle into a USB power adapter (I use the one that came with my iPhone) and plug into a household 110 outlet.

Your CarPlay2Air will display a red solid light, then flashing blue and red lights while it updates. Give it about 3 minutes, but make sure the lights are done blinking..

Remove drive and plug the CarPlay2Air into your ST USB drive. Should work perfectly now! Good luck!

Nine29

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Here is the link to the firmware version that works on my 2020 ST:

https://github.com/ludwig-v/wireles...mware/U2W_Update_2020.08.04.1602_ROLLBACK.img

Click the download button and save the file as : "U2W_Update" (Exactly as I typed, no quotes)

Erase and format a USB drive (I used a 4GB) using FAT32 formatting. Copy the above file to the newly formatted drive (make sure it is the only file on the drive)

plug the USB drive into the CarPlay2Air dongle

plug the dongle into a USB power adapter (I use the one that came with my iPhone) and plug into a household 110 outlet.

Your CarPlay2Air will display a red solid light, then flashing blue and red lights while it updates. Give it about 3 minutes, but make sure the lights are done blinking..

Remove drive and plug the CarPlay2Air into your ST USB drive. Should work perfectly now! Good luck!
Wow...thanks for the detailed instructions! My CarPlay2Air unit is supposed to be delivered this week so I'll let you know how it goes (ordered from manufacturer in China).

Reactions
! My CarPlay2Air unit is supposed to be delivered t
Wow...thanks for the detailed instructions! My CarPlay2Air unit is supposed to be delivered this week so I'll let you know how it goes (ordered from manufacturer in China).
Did you have any luck? I did this and it bricked mine?

Reactions
I don't understand why this is such a big deal. Yes, I wish CarPlay was wireless, but I'm going to plug in my phone to charge it anyway. My iPhone is too big for the wireless charging pocket. Thank you Ford. Don't your designers use modern cell phones? I use a short USB-C/Lightning cable and put the iPhone in the slot in front of the cup holders. Simple. Many times over the years I have found that introducing non Apple devices is a hit or miss process. These companies do very little engineering and make cheap products. If you find a single Chinese made product that works you will find 10 that don't, and many of them are the exact same product in a different package. I would rather have Ford allow CarPlay to use the whole screen than spend time on wireless CarPlay.

Reactions
I don't understand why this is such a big deal. Yes, I wish CarPlay was wireless, but I'm going to plug in my phone to charge it anyway. My iPhone is too big for the wireless charging pocket. Thank you Ford. Don't your designers use modern cell phones? I use a short USB-C/Lightning cable and put the iPhone in the slot in front of the cup holders. Simple. Many times over the years I have found that introducing non Apple devices is a hit or miss process. These companies do very little engineering and make cheap products. If you find a single Chinese made product that works you will find 10 that don't, and many of them are the exact same product in a different package. I would rather have Ford allow CarPlay to use the whole screen than spend time on wireless CarPlay.
for short drives it’s nice to keep your phone in your pocket or wife doesn’t have to take it out of her bag. It’s just inconvenient and these carplay adapters work pretty damn well I just should not have tried to downgrade mine and waited for a new update instead to address Siri and voice operation crashes.

Nine29

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Did you have any luck? I did this and it bricked mine?
No luck...it totally bricked my screen/display. Had to go through a few key cycles for it to finally return to normal...thankfully.

Reactions
No luck...it totally bricked my screen/display. Had to go through a few key cycles for it to finally return to normal...thankfully.
It seems the firmware wireless carplay units are shipping with will not allow us to go back to the one that worked with Siri listed above just a warning for anyone thinking about doing this don’t... unless you are on 2020 firmware and not the 2021 firmware shipping on the units now.

db6

Reactions
Using iPhone 12 and a 2020 ST - every time I access a text carplay2 disconnects and I cannot reply to text. CarPlay then reconnects, but I still can’t reply to text. It also sometimes does not respond to the Waze app on the phone. I have recently updated the firmware on the carplay2air but it did not resolve the issue. Used to work fine, with few issues, just about unusable now. Don’t know which update (car2play, sync or iPhone) broke the usability, but one of them did. Sucks because I like the wireless connectivity, especially for short trips.

Reactions
Yea our only chance is to send logs to carlinkit and carplay2air to troubleshoot it and provide an updated firmware. I tried downgrading to the last one that worked and it bricked my wireless carplay dongle

db6

Reactions
had email traffic with them last night - they sent me manual firmware update that kept coming across as corrupted and i couldn't load it onto the dongle. Think I might have been able to load it this morning, but had the same same issue as before the update, constantly disconnecting

db6

Reactions
update - reached out the them around a warranty claim - they told me to send the unit back to them in China and they will send a replacement unit. Postage to China - $18.Hope it works without any updates.

KegsBdry

Reactions
update - reached out the them around a warranty claim - they told me to send the unit back to them in China and they will send a replacement unit. Postage to China - $18.Hope it works without any updates.
May want a picture of that return package with a tracking number. China screwed me when they "claimed they never got it". No product & no $

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
May want a picture of that return package with a tracking number. China screwed me when they "claimed they never got it". No product & no $
This is my beef with getting anything from China. They can send stuff over here for cheap but it costs an arm and a leg to send things over there. It also seems like things get lost in shipping whether you receive or send thing over there. Not worth the hassle.