Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Wireless CarPlay

KegsBdry

Reactions
This is my beef with getting anything from China. They can send stuff over here for cheap but it costs an arm and a leg to send things over there. It also seems like things get lost in shipping whether you receive or send thing over there. Not worth the hassle.
Half the time I didn't even realize I ordered something from China until I get the package with all kinds of unrecognized lettering on it. If it says it takes 2+ weeks to be delivered, that's my que.

SloPoke83

Reactions
Just got my replacement for the same issue, still broke when Siri is activated... No fix available. Just got a comment that not all various could be tested and my combo just doesn't work. Past original 15 days so I was denied a refund. Mine is a 2021 ST with premium tech package. Has anyone's worked with that configuration? Hope y'all have better luck....

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
These things just don't work like it should. There is always some drawback that for me is a deal breaker but maybe not for some. For instance, ifyou don't use Siri or don't do a lot of phone calls. I just hope people thinking about one will look at this thread and think twice about trying it.

SloPoke83

Reactions
A friend just added sync to his SHO and is seeing the same problem. It is also running 3.4
It appears to be that version of sync. CPlay2Air has a big update coming out to hopefully fix in a couple weeks… we shall see.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
These things just don't work like it should. There is always some drawback that for me is a deal breaker but maybe not for some. For instance, ifyou don't use Siri or don't do a lot of phone calls. I just hope people thinking about one will look at this thread and think twice about trying it.
That’s disappointing to hear. It doesn’t seem like sync 4 will be coming to the 2022 explorer and so I was hoping these devices would be worthwhile to implement wireless CarPlay

Reactions
CPlay2Air’s latest update fixed the Siri issue!
i can also confirm this for carlinkit dongle! It works with the latest 7/5/2021 update.

there were two back to back updates for me 7/4/2021 and then I checked for new updates after and 7/5/2021 downloaded. Make sure you give the 7/5 version some time as it was a a few of blinking red and green on the connection screen before it rebooted.

but Siri and reading texts is working perfectly now. Will try phone calls on the way to work as they used to dropoff after some time.

db6

Reactions
after many emails, paying $14 to send my unit back to China, and waiting a couple of months, I received a replacement CPlay2air yesterday. After a couple of updates, it works as intended. I really like the convivence when it works. For longer drives I plug the phone in. It's good that the truck has two usb ports in the console.

Last edited:

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The car
i can also confirm this for carlinkit dongle! It works with the latest 7/5/2021 update.

there were two back to back updates for me 7/4/2021 and then I checked for new updates after and 7/5/2021 downloaded. Make sure you give the 7/5 version some time as it was a a few of blinking red and green on the connection screen before it rebooted.

but Siri and reading texts is working perfectly now. Will try phone calls on the way to work as they used to dropoff after some time.
the Carlinkit one is the one that can be found on Amazon right? Mind sharing which one you have. I’d rather buy from Amazon in case there is issues. I currently have a 17 explorer which a 22 explorer ordered. Would like it to work on both if possible.

Reactions
The car

the Carlinkit one is the one that can be found on Amazon right? Mind sharing which one you have. I’d rather buy from Amazon in case there is issues. I currently have a 17 explorer which a 22 explorer ordered. Would like it to work on both if possible.

CarlinKit 2.0 Wireless CarPlay Adapter USB for Factory Wired CarPlay Cars (Model Year: 2019 to 2020), Wireless CarPlay Dongle Convert Wired to Wireless CarPlay https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P1GWQD...abc_Y0JNW2SDBVMWJFEVAJJS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

That’s the one I ordered. Working fine now with the update. Don’t forget to clip the coupon to save 25+ dollars!

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
CarlinKit 2.0 Wireless CarPlay Adapter USB for Factory Wired CarPlay Cars (Model Year: 2019 to 2020), Wireless CarPlay Dongle Convert Wired to Wireless CarPlay https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P1GWQD...abc_Y0JNW2SDBVMWJFEVAJJS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

That’s the one I ordered. Working fine now with the update. Don’t forget to clip the coupon to save 25+ dollars!
ls there really a difference between the years? 2017-2018 is one, 2019-2020 another. Seems pretty odd.

Reactions
ls there really a difference between the years? 2017-2018 is one, 2019-2020 another. Seems pretty odd.
not that I’ve noticed works the same as the one I bought back in 2018 just slightly different boot/connect screen but same version and updates.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
not that I’ve noticed works the same as the one I bought back in 2018 just slightly different boot/connect screen but same version and updates.
okay thanks. Good to know. I wanted to buy the carplay2Air one but just afraid of it not working than dealing with the hassle of returning it and paying for shipping.
Whereas if I order through Amazon, I get good support.
But it’s good to know it the carlinkit works in my 2017 explorer, it’ll work in my 22 explorer whenever the heck it comes.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
So no issues now? What about a delay when talking on the phone or with screen touches.

Reactions
So no issues now? What about a delay when talking on the phone or with screen touches.
zero issues on the latest firmware. the slight delay is wireless carplay and the limitations of 5ghz wireless speeds nothing you can do about it sometimes. I've noticed that there is an LED lamp inside the cubby where the usb ports are. It generates tons of heat and when the temp is hot the carplay dongle slows down obviously as it is thermally throttled.

Plug in the dongle and have it sit far away from the LED light. The small secton to the right of the USB ports which is as close the the front of the car as possible seems to work best for me and its performance. Also disabling the cars wifi itself would reduce any extra interference.

I'm happy with the performance now - its definitely acting like wireless carplay acts in my other cars with these dongles.

Reactions
Also if you have any issues manually update the dongle using the instructions here:

If the device cannot be connected or recognized, you can use the USB Flash drive to upgrade the firmware. Of course, to avoid malfunctions, if you can upgrade online,and you'd better do that. Otherwise, the equipment is likely to become useless. This upgrade method is different from the past, you need to pay 100 % attention to following our upgrade steps, otherwise the dongle will be dead.

(Very Important note: Do not attempt to connect the adapter to your computer's or laptop's USB port. These ports are made to transfer data and will just interrupt the update process and break the device.)

Preparation materials: the dongle, power adapter, USB flash drive.

Steps of how to upgrade the firmware by USB flash drive:
1. Prepare a USB flash drive, format it to FAT32/Allocation unit size 1024bit or default.
2. Download and save U2W Update.img file on USB flash drive Root directory. (Make sure to rename the file to U2W_Update)
3. Connect the Carlinkit Dongle(U2W/U2W Plus) to a USB wall power outlet/charger. Wait for the solid Red light. Please don’t use the USB port of the car or computer!!
4. Insert the USB flash drive into the Carlinkit Dongle and wait at lest 4 minutes while the device being updated (You will see alternative red light and green light on the device and finally it stays red.)
5. Delete all Wi-Fi and Bluetooth from Phone and Car (then make sure both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are turned on in the phone, but keep "not conneted".)
6. Please unplug the dongle from the USB wall power outlet/charger and remove the USB flash drive from the dongle.
7. Plug the dongle into the USB port of the car once the head unit is fully booted.
8. Please wait until the new window appears on the vehicle's screen.
9. Connect your phone to the Bluetooth which is shown on the screen.
10. Wait for the new interface to appear on the screen.

After a successful upgrade, you can return to the car for testing. Good luck!

Use this if it fails on the two updates available online now:

2021.07.04.2222 - https://github.com/ludwig-v/wireles...aster/Firmware/U2W_Update_2021.07.04.2222.img
2021.07.05.2308 - https://github.com/ludwig-v/wireles...aster/Firmware/U2W_Update_2021.07.05.2308.img

On one of my dongles my wife shut the car off as it was updating to 7/5/2021 and i had to load it manually through USB to fix the dongle.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Yup, 7/5/21 update works well. Compared to the unit I tried last november, this new firmware has the bootup screen in english instead of chinese. Siri works and the screen touches are responsive. Even better is that it's $40 cheaper than what I ordered and returned (Amazon). Overall, worth keeping! Thanks to those who reported on the latest update!

Reactions
Still cannot believe a 2020+ $50k SUV does not have wireless carplay....

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Still cannot believe a 2020+ $50k SUV does not have wireless carplay....
plenty of them don’t. Most popular suv around, Kia telluride, 22 doesn’t even have wireless CarPlay.

Explorer ST Posts