Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Wind buffeting sound

Reactions
Anyone have a wind turbulence buffeting sound like you get with a single window open but when all windows are up? I have been getting it periodically. Might have to tell the gf that the fix is just put louder exhaust on to cover it. We all know that if you have louder exhaust, you need to throw a tune on there (and maybe an intercooler)... to remove the fake engine noise... yeah. thats it. ;)

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Nope. Pretty quiet. Is it speed related? Any of that effect at a standstill? I recall someone having that issue related to malfunction of the subwoofer.

OP
N
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I don’t remember. I’ll pay attention to what’s happening when it occurs. My gf said she didn’t hear it when I told her about it in the car.

Stradt03

Reactions
I've had that in my last 3 cars. If you don't know what it is, you haven't experienced it yet. It literally sounds like your head is inside of a drum with rapid pressure changes. It is completely bizarre. Funny thing is that I don't ever remember having that buffeting issue when I was a kid in my parent's cars.

OP
N
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Does the Explorer add artificial exhaust sound in addition to the FENG? Some of what I hear is deep reverberation during engine braking around 40 or so. Also, while just parked, if I tap the gas lightly, I hear a bass boom and then the slight engine rev. It all just sounds very artificial.

Skapp

Reactions
Just bought my Explorer ST 2 days ago and my wife and I have no idea what’s going on. The wind buffeting is a MAJOR problem. Have tried everything. Our ears hurt and we have headaches after driving this car only 15 min to get dinner. 102 miles on it and am concerned we just made a horrible decision. Have tried checking all windows. Sunroof. Door seals. Tried everything.. Help please!!

Skapp

Reactions
Nope. Pretty quiet. Is it speed related? Any of that effect at a standstill? I recall someone having that issue related to malfunction of the subwoofer.
Was this also on the ST?

Reactions
Just bought my Explorer ST 2 days ago and my wife and I have no idea what’s going on. The wind buffeting is a MAJOR problem. Have tried everything. Our ears hurt and we have headaches after driving this car only 15 min to get dinner. 102 miles on it and am concerned we just made a horrible decision. Have tried checking all windows. Sunroof. Door seals. Tried everything.. Help please!!

Mine doesn't have this issue at all, unless I have only one of the back windows open.

Is your ST new? I can't imagine you would not have leaks if it is that bad. (Have you taken it through a car wash to verify there are no leaks?) If no leaks, then my guess would be the sub-woofer or speakers might be causing this.

Have you taken it back to the dealer to find out what the problem is? I'm guessing it would still be under warranty.

OP
N
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
I think that I have narrowed mine down to exhaust harmonics (unless I drive with any windows down which is horrific)

I don’t get the exact buffeting sound that I initially did but still get something similar that causes my ears to pulse/reverb and wants to give me a headache. It is on deceleration but not sure if the rpm as I don’t have it in a mode that shows it generally.

Reactions
I think that I have narrowed mine down to exhaust harmonics (unless I drive with any windows down which is horrific)

I don’t get the exact buffeting sound that I initially did but still get something similar that causes my ears to pulse/reverb and wants to give me a headache. It is on deceleration but not sure if the rpm as I don’t have it in a mode that shows it generally.
You can put the tachometer on any setting via the menu option. (It puts a little vertical bar just to the left of the speedometer.)

OP
N
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
Oh. I should maybe read the manual. Lol

Skapp

Reactions
Just thought I’d update. The dealer ended up taking the car back due to the wind buffeting issue after 4 days and 250 miles on the odometer.

The backup camera also only worked 1 out of every 10 or so times. 2021 ST with a 10/20 build date so no recalls on it for the camera. Software up to date etc. Maybe we just had a lemon.

Unfortunately, we’ve just lost our confidence in the Explorer. Sucks because it really is an awesome car. I’ve had Fords in the past and never any problems and am a big fan of the brand.

Really zero complaints aside from this wind buffeting noise. I’m sure the backup camera could be replaced and be easily fixed. But the wind buffeting was one of the weirdest things and made driving it unbearable.

Maybe in a year or two once some of these kinks are worked out with the current generation we will look at one again.

BlueRidgeSt

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I am having the same problem now. This was the third visit. Tech said “Ford hasn’t issued a fix or bulletin yet. I don’t know what to do.”
How did you get them to take it back?

Skapp

Reactions
I am having the same problem now. This was the third visit. Tech said “Ford hasn’t issued a fix or bulletin yet. I don’t know what to do.”
How did you get them to take it back?
Luckily we had just purchased the car so we were able to reverse the deal as it wasn’t too late and hadn’t been registered etc yet.

BlueRidgeSt

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Guess I am going to have to go lemon law route. We noticed the problem early on, but they dragged out the process.

Heligrin

Reactions

We have something similar. I may be the engine sound I'm not sure. When standing at a light we can sometimes switch into neutral and hear. Othing, but when switching to drive you hear a bassy type rumble? Also when deaccelerating? Its not bad but wanted to know if this was characteristic of the drivetrain. Cruising on highway no issues

KegsBdry

Reactions
Guess I am going to have to go lemon law route. We noticed the problem early on, but they dragged out the process.
This might help. If your ST is new, I'd have them take it until it's fully fixed at the dealership. If it hits 30 days (unresolved), you may be able to have a better case in claiming a lemon. Do not sign anything or take it back until it's fixed.

My buddy got his ST back on day 28 and it still wasn't fully fixed. He had to start the whole process again. Dealers try harder when their ass is on the line.

Mark

Reactions
I have the same issue with my 2021 ST. It is almost unbearable around 30mph and the RPMS around 1200-1400. I am wondering if it has to do with exhaust turbulence because of the fake exhaust pipes. It almost seems like when rpms are around the said value (usually coasting or hardly touching the gas pedal) there is not enough push to remove the exhaust pressure thru the tiny slit in the bottom of the pipe. Wondering if anyone replaced the tips with real pass thru tips, and if it solved the issue?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I have the same issue with my 2021 ST. It is almost unbearable around 30mph and the RPMS around 1200-1400. I am wondering if it has to do with exhaust turbulence because of the fake exhaust pipes. It almost seems like when rpms are around the said value (usually coasting or hardly touching the gas pedal) there is not enough push to remove the exhaust pressure thru the tiny slit in the bottom of the pipe. Wondering if anyone replaced the tips with real pass thru tips, and if it solved the issue?
Your first message and this is what you post? You're kidding right?

Mark

Reactions
And what have you said?? "TMac" really? Wow, with a name like that you must be so cool