Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Wifi w/o Buying Data Plan

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Hi All - Is there a way to use the car's wifi to create a LAN without buying a data subscription? I'd just like to connect my own devices to share content without internet. We shouldn't need to pay for an AT&T internet subscription to use the wifi hotspot we already paid for with the car... But is that the case? I can't find a way to manage the wifi otherwise. Thanks in advance for your help!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
How about a cheap data plan with a provider that allows you to create a hotspot with your phone? My Google Fi plan allows this although I’ve rarely needed it.

OP
Q
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. But I do not want/need any internet at all. I just want to connect my devices to the wifi without internet and share locally on the wifi network itself.

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Hi All - Is there a way to use the car's wifi to create a LAN without buying a data subscription? I'd just like to connect my own devices to share content without internet. We shouldn't need to pay for an AT&T internet subscription to use the wifi hotspot we already paid for with the car... But is that the case? I can't find a way to manage the wifi otherwise. Thanks in advance for your help!
No there is not, we tried at work to do it.

Then we tried to see if we could put in our own SIM card but the Ford modem uses ESIM so you cant swap SIM cards.

Its locked down so you must use their negotiated carrier deals.

Technically the only way is you would have to get very creative and pull the 4G modem and have it taken apart to swap hardware components, it gets very complex.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thanks for the suggestion. But I do not want/need any internet at all. I just want to connect my devices to the wifi without internet and share locally on the wifi network itself.
I’m trying to visualize a use case for this. How would it work? Is the driver sharing a PDF with the passenger? Just curious.

Also, how much is the data plan? My car didn’t come with a modem because “supply chain”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Easiest way would probably be to buy a cheap wireless router, plug it into the 120v and tuck it away under a seat.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer, ST
I’m trying to visualize a use case for this. How would it work? Is the driver sharing a PDF with the passenger? Just curious.

Also, how much is the data plan? My car didn’t come with a modem because “supply chain”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have work with networks for a better part of 30 years and honestly also cannot understand a use case for this.
What exactly are you trying to share and to what hardware? without a service provider that will provide you a LAN let alone a WAN you can’t do what you want.

Here is an example. If you have an iPhone, please set it in airplane mode and try to enable it as a hotspot. You can’t. Your vehicle is in the same boat. If you’re not connected to a service provider, it will not act as a hotspot provided that you have the capabilities to be a hotspot. I do not Have 4g capabilities in my ST as it did not come with the option. Nor do I wish I had one.

When I get in my car, I turn the hotspot on on my phone, which creates a lan for anyone that is in the car including the ST itself so it can upload updates.

I know you don’t want a hotspot but you can’t do it any other way

OP
Q
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
I'm surprised the use cases aren't more obvious. NAS loaded with media and LAN gaming for my kids, primarily.

@ridered74 - Thanks. That's the exact workaround I came up with as well. Was hoping to avoid adding extra equipment, but oh well.

@Greywolf - Why would a service provider have anything to do with my LAN? I don't want to access any external network/internet at all. Just connect my local devices. I can create a local network with my Android phone without network data enabled (or even a SIM). But just running everything through the car's hotspot would be easier for when others are driving, I need the phone, etc.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Reactions
@Greywolf, just be aware you can only connect up to 3-4 devices using bluetooth hotspot.

But this is truly the best way to get everyone connected in the car. iPads, phones, computers, etc..

Reactions

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I have work with networks for a better part of 30 years and honestly also cannot understand a use case for this.
What exactly are you trying to share and to what hardware? without a service provider that will provide you a LAN let alone a WAN you can’t do what you want.

Here is an example. If you have an iPhone, please set it in airplane mode and try to enable it as a hotspot. You can’t. Your vehicle is in the same boat. If you’re not connected to a service provider, it will not act as a hotspot provided that you have the capabilities to be a hotspot. I do not Have 4g capabilities in my ST as it did not come with the option. Nor do I wish I had one.

When I get in my car, I turn the hotspot on on my phone, which creates a lan for anyone that is in the car including the ST itself so it can upload updates.

I know you don’t want a hotspot but you can’t do it any other way
One of the Engineers that works on SYNC told me they don't have it configured yet to pull updates down over cellular only through WiFi but Im guess the SYNC3 system sees your phone as just another WiFi hotspot not a cellular device. If you have unlimited 4/5G data then that's outstanding.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer, ST
One of the Engineers that works on SYNC told me they don't have it configured yet to pull updates down over cellular only through WiFi but Im guess the SYNC3 system sees your phone as just another WiFi hotspot not a cellular device. If you have unlimited 4/5G data then that's outstanding.
Something I can’t understand is how the sync three update can’t be handled over a hotspot on my iPhone. How would it now and why would it care

Explorer ST Posts