Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

whoosh motorsports high flow catted downpipes

Reactions
whoosh motorsports 2020-2022 Explorer ST high flow catted downpipes
fitment review and power increase data coming soon

IMG_6725.jpg IMG_6729.jpg

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Well they certainly look very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Love your stuff Ron, can't wait to see the info!

Reactions
I was about to order the SPD’s from you but depending on the data, I may order these! Offering a coated version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
ron@whooshmotorsports
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
I was about to order the SPD’s from you but depending on the data, I may order these! Offering a coated version?

Yes, coated is available
We're looking at $599 for the set on these downpipes when released
The coated option will likely be +$100

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Yes, coated is available
Deal! Just didn’t see myself spending another $1K for FenFab or SPD downpipes.

Jwbreeding

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
That's a great price! I still need to install my downpipes, I ordered and received them about 6 months ago. If I knew there was going to be more options that were cheaper but offered same performance, I would have just waited.

Reactions
Yes, coated is available
What’s your honest opinion on these versus the SPD’s?

Reactions
Are downpipes going to do anything to the exhaust tone? From what I've gathered on the forum it doesn't do much for performance so I'm wondering what the benefit is. This and the intercooler and I'm pretty much done so I'm curious. Obviously the intercooler comes first but I'm thinking about just doing them together.

Reactions
Are downpipes going to do anything to the exhaust tone? From what I've gathered on the forum it doesn't do much for performance so I'm wondering what the benefit is. This and the intercooler and I'm pretty much done so I'm curious. Obviously the intercooler comes first but I'm thinking about just doing them together.
Where did you see that aftermarket downpipes provide no notable performance increase?

Everything I have read indicates between a 15-20 HP increase when upgrading downpipes.

I for one, am looking forward to seeing how these Whoosh Motorsports downpipes stack up to the current offerings. We should have solid performance data very soon on these. ;-)

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Many new(er) turbocharged vehicles have great flowing exhaust from the factory. The turbo turbine itself is the single most “limiting” component in the exhaust, so if you’re not changing the turbo(s) then the stock down pipe is more than adequate. The Raptor 3.5 HO Ecoboost was proven on the dyno that down pipes did nothing for peak power. It has very good cats that are straight inline with the pipe, so no turns or turbulence.

That said, I haven’t seen any proof one way or the other for the Explorer setup, but I wouldn’t expect to see 15-20 whp more than stock w/tune. MAYBE a few that are within the realm of measurement error.

Reactions
Think that is the point with the ST down pipes. They have a relatively sharp 90 degree bend where the aftermarket ones have a more smooth sweep. Forum members Unbroken and Tmac will be reliable sources. Sounds like the Raptor has a better stock design over the ST, and hence little or immeasurable improvement over stock. Unsure the cell count per sq. In. Stock vs aftermarket which, all things being equal the one with fewer cell count will flow better

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Word…the F-150 Raptors might have good ones from the factory, but the STs with the 3.0L stock cats are fugly. Like mwinn said, they have basically about a 90 degree bend in them. They don’t look to be very efficient.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
While I appreciate new parts coming out and Whoosh is a good vendor, the stock turbo is the real problem for performance compared to exhaust and downpipes. If you're replacing the turbos, by all means, replace the downpipes as well. That'll maximize your gains and lower the amount of labor on the job. As far as comments about downpipes and curves, see my post here:

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/...-a-performance-exhaust-system.2775/post-43705