Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Who new the exhaust tips on the Explorer ST were fake?

Reactions
I assume you could swap them out for functional exhaust tips?

Reactions
I bet that’s the fix for carbon monoxide entering inside the car. Washington State Police had a few cases of officers falling asleep at the wheel and that’s how they found it.

Reactions
Or it could be engineered that way to not exhaust directly onto/next to the rear bumper. You see alot of cars with discoloration due to the high temp of the exhaust.

Reactions
Or it could be engineered that way to not exhaust directly onto/next to the rear bumper. You see alot of cars with discoloration due to the high temp of the exhaust.
That's kind of what I was thinking too.

Reactions
I read or heard somewhere that it was to maintain the appearance of the tips, so they wouldn't get discolored or stained.

ROLLIN ST

Reactions
I also read that they did that to keep the tips from getting all soot covered

Reactions
i knew, only because i watched every review video on the internet weeks before we bought ours.

and yes, they are for exhaust soot. that was a huge complaint from prior generation explorer owners. turbo engines seem to make a lot of soot.

Reactions
I find it odd this is such a point of contention. They aren't "fake".

I take issue with the size of the pea shooter tips more than the fact that they turn down so I don't have to polish them once a month.

Reactions
The main reason is to keep exhaust fumes from entering inside the vehicle through the back hatch which also keeps soot of the back end.

Reactions
I believe its so that when you're loading/unloading things in the back, you don't have to directly breathe in exhaust fumes and get it all over your clothes.

Reactions
Ford says it’s to keep them clean, but since the same design is used for the Intercepter I bet it has more to do with stopping exhaust from entering an open lift gate (Common complaint from police). But if they said that, then they’d be admitting it was a problem on the ‘19s and earlier.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Ford says it’s to keep them clean, but since the same design is used for the Intercepter I bet it has more to do with stopping exhaust from entering an open lift gate (Common complaint from police). But if they said that, then they’d be admitting it was a problem on the ‘19s and earlier.
It’s to keep them clean. Period. The fumes will still rise no matter if they come straight out the back or fire down. Exhaust is hot. Heat rises.

Reactions
It’s to keep them clean. Period. The fumes will still rise no matter if they come straight out the back or fire down. Exhaust is hot. Heat rises.
Watch it on a still cold morning. Exhaust does seem to dissipate under and around the sides before it rises up. But I’ll concede that could’ve been an unintended consequence of Ford downfiring them.

Reactions
On the plus side, the downward exhaust tip prevents rain from getting into my exhaust system due to my slopping driveway and I do not have to park in the reverse direction.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
On what planet is rain in the exhaust tips a problem? lol
There’s condensation in an exhaust system on a daily basis...you drip out more water than would even get into the system via rain drops.