Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Who new the exhaust tips on the Explorer ST were fake?

Reactions
I bet that’s the fix for carbon monoxide entering inside the car. Washington State Police had a few cases of officers falling asleep at the wheel and that’s how they found it.

Reactions
Or it could be engineered that way to not exhaust directly onto/next to the rear bumper. You see alot of cars with discoloration due to the high temp of the exhaust.

ROLLIN ST

Reactions
I also read that they did that to keep the tips from getting all soot covered

Reactions
i knew, only because i watched every review video on the internet weeks before we bought ours.

and yes, they are for exhaust soot. that was a huge complaint from prior generation explorer owners. turbo engines seem to make a lot of soot.

Reactions
I find it odd this is such a point of contention. They aren't "fake".

I take issue with the size of the pea shooter tips more than the fact that they turn down so I don't have to polish them once a month.

Reactions
The main reason is to keep exhaust fumes from entering inside the vehicle through the back hatch which also keeps soot of the back end.