Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Who new the exhaust tips on the Explorer ST were fake?

Reactions
Follow any BMW, most of their tips are fake.
The automotive equivalent to a padded bra. Or our current Prime Minister.
Fake hood scoops. Fake vents. Form with no function.
Largely a total lack of imagination from the designers who are trying to make buyers think they are getting something they're not or are tricking out a banal design with distracting crap.

Reactions
I forgot the fake "carbon fibre" inside, which, true to this vehicle, is a very poor fit.

What all this is, ultimately, is a glaring example of my failing to do my due diligence and makes it clear to me that those who publish reviews must be paid off.

We don't have a lemon law in Canada so the dealer is going to see a lot of me and until its been rebuilt to the standard I expect, I expect to be a total pita.

Blaster7Romeo

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
has anyone just cut the fake tips off and put on real ones?

I don't like the fake tips.. think about an exhaust system.. but don't find the one I like the sound of on the internet..

ETA: nevermind.. found the thread

Last edited:

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
The design to exhaust the fumes downward comes from the redesign after the issues from the PIU. Ford Engineers were trying to stop the exhaust fumes from re-entering through the liftgate after it was discovered that aftermarket upfitters were not properly sealing the holes they made for emergency lighting.

After all the media coverage a team of Engineers went around Canada and the US to visit the sites were these complaints came from and all of them were determined to be poorly sealed aftermarket modifications.

Realizing that aftermarket modifications were going to continue regardless of how many Upfitter Bulletins Ford published the Engineers decided to force the fumes downward which stopped them from being forced inwards towards the liftgate due to airflow coming over the roof and down the liftgate. In other words the Ford Engineers changed the tips to accommodate poor upfitting in the interest of safety.

Those exhaust systems come from one supplier and the economies of scale dictated they make all Explorer exhaust the same.

Nothing is fake, they just redirect the flow, which also helps to keep the tips cleaner as a side benefit.

Ford produced a Modifiers Guide supplement for the issue.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
just drill a hole through the plates blocking it from going out the back. Then you will have an eight-outlet exhaust!

KegsBdry

Reactions
The engine noise is fake, why wouldn't the exhaust tips be too?! :whistle:

Sgt1411

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
The engine noise is fake, why wouldn't the exhaust tips be too?! :whistle:
Well, technically the engine still makes sound, Ford just enhances that sound as part of the ST Experience.

Reactions
To answer the OP question. Everyone after the first delivery a few years ago

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk