Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

who has the scoop on the '23 model?

F=MA

Reactions
Had a 2014 and 2015 Explorer Sport. Upgraded to a 2016 Platinum which got me hard leather seats and a hard wood steering wheel. I only kept it 6000 miles then went back to the 2017 Sport model with the soft seats and steering wheel. Actually liked the exterior of the Platinum better than the Sport as they had just introduced the new park light indents in the bumper which they kept through the 2019's. IMG_0804.JPG

Reactions
Short story, yes.

Truth is, 99% of the issues I have with my 2020 are interior problems. The infotainment unit is a janky piece of garbage that’s mediocre when it works and doesn’t even work reliably (I’m on my third APIM).

Fit and finish are garbage compared to even my much cheaper Nissan Leaf (and Nissan interiors are noted for being garbage).

A refreshed interior would definitely pique my interest, but since it looks like the real refresh is 2024, I’ll continue to save my shekels and might consider switching to an Aviator in 2024 if used values don’t collapse.

I might even consider a different vehicle entirely, but living at altitude, I’m not quite ready to have two EVs and not much of else I can afford offers such sweet turbo performance with a close by dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What's the long story!?

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Short story, yes.

Truth is, 99% of the issues I have with my 2020 are interior problems. The infotainment unit is a janky piece of garbage that’s mediocre when it works and doesn’t even work reliably (I’m on my third APIM).

Fit and finish are garbage compared to even my much cheaper Nissan Leaf (and Nissan interiors are noted for being garbage).

A refreshed interior would definitely pique my interest, but since it looks like the real refresh is 2024, I’ll continue to save my shekels and might consider switching to an Aviator in 2024 if used values don’t collapse.

I might even consider a different vehicle entirely, but living at altitude, I’m not quite ready to have two EVs and not much of else I can afford offers such sweet turbo performance with a close by dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Honestly most those electrical and fit and finish issues are resolved on the 21 and most certainly the 22.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Honestly most those electrical and fit and finish issues are resolved on the 21 and most certainly the 22.
Some of the 2020 were pretty good also. I have no issues with mine.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Some of the 2020 were pretty good also. I have no issues with mine.
Yeah for sure. But like the seat plastic trim was a known issue on the 2020. Fixed on later years. As it should be. Just like the 23 I suspect to be even more refined.

Reactions
The 21 and 22s I looked at had the same giant panel gaps inside and poorly executed electronics.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The 21 and 22s I looked at had the same giant panel gaps inside and poorly executed electronics.
While always possible, it’s clear it was largely resolved. Significantly less complaints in those years.

Reactions
While always possible, it’s clear it was largely resolved. Significantly less complaints in those years.
They literally did not change the software or dash trim. Yeah they cha ged the gray stuff to gloss black, but the fake CF pieces that don't fit... Still the same wrong molds.

They definitely fixed the stuff that was workmanship issues, but the software and stuff just designed wrong.. Still broke

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
They literally did not change the software or dash trim. Yeah they cha ged the gray stuff to gloss black, but the fake CF pieces that don't fit... Still the same wrong molds.

They definitely fixed the stuff that was workmanship issues, but the software and stuff just designed wrong.. Still broke
The plastic seat trim was fixed. There was wind noise engineering changes on the 22. I also see significantly less electrical system issues with the 21 and 22s compared to the 20s. 20s are well known to throw random codes up on the gauge cluster. Not all! But was most common in the 20s. And then of course the blue screen camera was well known in 20s and 21s and fixed on the 22s.

Reactions
I think we are talking about different things. They may have fixed a seat trim, but there's several other places around the car where the trim was just not designed to be the right size, angle, etc. And while they may have fixed some software bugs, the underlying implementation of it is still a step down vs previous iterations.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I think we are talking about different things. They may have fixed a seat trim, but there's several other places around the car where the trim was just not designed to be the right size, angle, etc. And while they may have fixed some software bugs, the underlying implementation of it is still a step down vs previous iterations.
I don’t know, I’m not seeing those concerns in my 22. I had a 17 before that was solid and I feel my 22 is the same. I haven’t appreciated any trim issues anywhere.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Short story, yes.

Truth is, 99% of the issues I have with my 2020 are ...
The only issue my 22 has is the fuel line rattle thing (TSB 22-2135) which is a 2 hr fix that will be done when the foam block parts come in. That's it.

It seems your solution might be to get a 22 model.

What's the long story!?
:unsure::whistle:

Explorer ST Posts