Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Whipple Intercooler

Reactions
Has any created a install step by step? I installed the whipple a few days ago, I can figure out when the two blue”grommets” go.
they go in the holes of the car where the bottom of the whipple brackets sit in

Reactions
Who knows what the 2 huge zip ties are for?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Who knows what the 2 huge zip ties are for?

They’re to replace the factory zip ties you have to cut to get the front clip off. You’ll see them.

Reactions
Yep just finished the install pretty obvious once you take the bumper cover off

Reactions
Pulled the trigger on the Whipple intercooler. Does the black flat backing behind the grill get tossed or is it left in place? Has anyone sprayed black paint (light coat) on the front of the intercooler to help hide the exposed silver of the intercooler which shows through the grill opening? I realize there would be some reduction in heat transfer due to any extra coatings being applied to the unpainted intercooler.
I used a BBQ/Wood stove flat black paint on the intercooler on my mustang's turbo kit. These paints are made to radiate heat rather than retain it like some engine paints or exhaust paints. Avoid paints with ceramics that are designed to retain heat (ie Header paint or coatings).
IAT's rarely get above 126 degrees on a 1/4 mile dragstrip run or any datalogs, even with ambient temps in the mid 90's. Typically, they stay in the 100-116 degree range. The car is pushing 17 lbs of boost.

There was a youtube video by mighty car mods claiming painting it black helped and another by engineering explained that refuted it but the differences seem to be negligible overall.

Reactions
Looks good on a silver one.
Best part is only people that know these vehicles have a chance at spotting it.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Funny you post that again. I saw two brand new PIUs coming the other direction today and noticed that they either have a different intercooler than we do or they also have the slats removed like you did. I could see a big rectangle behind the grille. Not something you can see normally on the ST.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Funny you post that again. I saw two brand new PIUs coming the other direction today and noticed that they either have a different intercooler than we do or they also have the slats removed like you did. I could see a big rectangle behind the grille. Not something you can see normally on the ST.
NVM... I'm an idiot. Its just a different grill mesh that gives that appearance.
1600202438504.png

F=MA

Reactions
I used a BBQ/Wood stove flat black paint on the intercooler on my mustang's turbo kit. These paints are made to radiate heat rather than retain it like some engine paints or exhaust paints. Avoid paints with ceramics that are designed to retain heat (ie Header paint or coatings).
IAT's rarely get above 126 degrees on a 1/4 mile dragstrip run or any datalogs, even with ambient temps in the mid 90's. Typically, they stay in the 100-116 degree range. The car is pushing 17 lbs of boost.

There was a youtube video by mighty car mods claiming painting it black helped and another by engineering explained that refuted it but the differences seem to be negligible overall.
That is exactly what I am looking for as I am getting ready to install my intercooler also. I do not want to see it through the grill.

F=MA

Reactions
Now that several folks have installed the Whipple intercoolers into their 2020 Explorer ST's how about a list of any gotchas lying in wait that you wish you would have known prior to starting the project. Example - supporting the grill unit prior to releasing it from the truck so it doesn't fall over onto the garage floor, etc.

Reactions
Now that several folks have installed the Whipple intercoolers into their 2020 Explorer ST's how about a list of any gotchas lying in wait that you wish you would have known prior to starting the project. Example - supporting the grill unit prior to releasing it from the truck so it doesn't fall over onto the garage floor, etc.
nothing that my install video doesnt show you.

F=MA

Reactions
Half way there on the intercooler install. Did you guys cut out the slats with snips or what?

Attachments

Reactions
For the grille shutters?

Nope they flex enough to pull them out

F=MA

Reactions
Got the grill shutters removed. I painted the intercooler front with a light coat of flat black stove paint. Now that the shutters are gone the lower portion of the radiator(which is silver) is now exposed so I may have to paint that too.

The top bracket on the driver side intercooler (rear bracket) wouldn't drop into the existing slot. I installed 3 small flat washers between the intercooler and the bracket and that fixed the problem versus bending the heavy bracket. The hole for the screw for the intercooler sensor was threaded too shallow so I had to add three washers so the factory screw for the intercooler sensor (#27 torx) wouldn't bottom out in the hole and leave the sensor loose.

Last edited:

F=MA

Reactions
Anyone else install the intercooler and once you finish putting the front end together the bottom of hood gap over the grill isn't the same as you originally had (my gap grew by 1/8" so the grill needs to move higher to close the gap). I will look into adjusting the hood bumpers but if that doesn't work perhaps the six bolt upper plastic piece on which the top the grill sits needs to be adjusted upwards a bit so the grill sits a little higher. Any thoughts?

Reactions
Anyone else install the intercooler and once you finish putting the front end together the bottom of hood gap over the grill isn't the same as you originally had (my gap grew by 1/8" so the grill needs to move higher to close the gap). I will look into adjusting the hood bumpers but if that doesn't work perhaps the six bolt upper plastic piece on which the top the grill sits needs to be adjusted upwards a bit so the grill sits a little higher. Any thoughts?
yes you moved the support with the adjusters. just re adjust it.

Reactions
Got the grill shutters removed. I painted the intercooler front with a light coat of flat black stove paint. Now that the shutters are gone the lower portion of the radiator(which is silver) is now exposed so I may have to paint that too.

The top bracket on the driver side intercooler (rear bracket) wouldn't drop into the existing slot. I installed 3 small flat washers between the intercooler and the bracket and that fixed the problem versus bending the heavy bracket. The hole for the screw for the intercooler sensor was threaded too shallow so I had to add three washers so the factory screw for the intercooler sensor (#27 torx) wouldn't bottom out in the hole and leave the sensor loose.
removing the grill shutters isnt really gonna help performance. and you will lose MPG