Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Whipple Intercooler

Reactions
palm beach dyno will be offering a whipple intercooler upgrade within the next couple of months, if anyone is interested.. just saw it on facebook.. they’re taking names for pre-orders.. i’m waiting to see if they will complete the kit with hardpipes and a bov..

QwikEVO

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
I'll be anxious to see numbers before I spend money.

Intake and exhaust (full turboback exhaust) should be on anyone's list well before an intercooler.

OP
T
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
agreed.. just sharing info.. crazy to think there isnt a single intake or downpipe on the market yet.

tc3driver

Reactions
Unfortunately the aftermarket for the previous explorers was very weak, it seems to have slowed down or stopped when they went to the uni-body over the body on frame, add in the death of the ranger (less crossover parts), and the only things that were available for the previous explorers was tunes and some very basic intake and exhaust, and only for the turbo motors. I am assuming that a lot of the aftermarket manufacturers are a bit skeptical about jumping in on the ST. However I have heard that Whipple is working on a full kit for the ST, that is on par with the Raptor kit. However that is a rumor, so take it with a grain of salt.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST (Agate Black)
Unfortunately the aftermarket for the previous explorers was very weak, it seems to have slowed down or stopped when they went to the uni-body over the body on frame, add in the death of the ranger (less crossover parts), and the only things that were available for the previous explorers was tunes and some very basic intake and exhaust, and only for the turbo motors. I am assuming that a lot of the aftermarket manufacturers are a bit skeptical about jumping in on the ST. However I have heard that Whipple is working on a full kit for the ST, that is on par with the Raptor kit. However that is a rumor, so take it with a grain of salt.
**Confirmed** Whipple is rolling theirs out within the next 30 days (see link below). In addition Palm Beach Dyno is also taking preorders (via a waiting list) for them.

2020 Ford Explorer ST Ecoboost Mega Cooler

OP
T
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
how far are you from palm beach dyno?

QwikEVO

Reactions
**Confirmed** Whipple is rolling theirs out within the next 30 days (see link below). In addition Palm Beach Dyno is also taking preorders (via a waiting list) for them.

2020 Ford Explorer ST Ecoboost Mega Cooler
I think he was referring to a full turbo kit, not the intercooler.

OP
T
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
i was referring to a full intercooler kit with hardpipes and a bov.. i don’t know who else meant what

Reactions
Vehicle
i was referring to a full intercooler kit with hardpipes and a bov.. i don’t know who else meant what
Gotcha.. hopefully they are/will..... There really aren't to many performance upgrades available for this thing but in due time with a little patience I'm sure more products will roll out as they always do.

Reactions
Gotcha.. hopefully they are/will..... There really aren't to many performance upgrades available for this thing but in due time with a little patience I'm sure more products will roll out as they always do.
There are slowly coming out, I've been feeling out vendors for months to see what is coming. I'm really hopping to get AMS to support this platform.

A tune and an intercooler are the 2 most important things you can do right away. The stock intercooler heat soaks very easily. I've seen manifold charge temps upward of 170s in hot climates. That's a big deal, because after the MCTs reach 130* the ecu needs to start taking power out. The whipple intercooler should provide about a 50* reduction in MCTs. It may not outright gain power on the dyno but this is very important for maintaining power for more than one gear.

QwikEVO

Reactions
There are slowly coming out, I've been feeling out vendors for months to see what is coming. I'm really hopping to get AMS to support this platform.

A tune and an intercooler are the 2 most important things you can do right away. The stock intercooler heat soaks very easily. I've seen manifold charge temps upward of 170s in hot climates. That's a big deal, because after the MCTs reach 130* the ecu needs to start taking power out. The whipple intercooler should provide about a 50* reduction in MCTs. It may not outright gain power on the dyno but this is very important for maintaining power for more than one gear.
so you’re saying tune and intercooler before, say intake, exhaust, and tune ?

Reactions
so you’re saying tune and intercooler before, say intake, exhaust, and tune ?
That's 100% what I'm saying. Gains from exhaust and intakes are minimal, much like every other EcoBoost. The intercooler and quality fuel are very important.

This is the order of things I would use.
Tune (on e50 if you can)
Intercooler
High Pressure fuel pump (so you can run e85)

95% of the power gain potential will come from that. From there you can start doing intakes, exhausts and whatever else.

Turbo upgrades will be the next big step after that, but there hasn't been any developments on that front yet.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
T
Reactions
Thread Starter #15
definitely goin for that intercooler next.. the exhaust i had to replace because stock was way too quiet.. like i’ve stated before, it’s about personal preference.. not looking to run pass after pass.. this is, after all, the family wagon..

Reactions
definitely goin for that intercooler next.. the exhaust i had to replace because stock was way too quiet.. like i’ve stated before, it’s about personal preference.. not looking to run pass after pass.. this is, after all, the family wagon..
Totally agree. I'm just saying from a performance standpoint that's the path you want to take but I agree in the borla sounds very nice on these!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

QwikEVO

Reactions
Interesting and super impressive. Can't wait to see a what this will do in the 1/4.

I'd be curious to see a pump gas before/after.

$995 intercooler, $1500 fuel pump, $300 tune, $600 nGauge. That's not including labor for the mechanically uninclined.

Starting to get pricey to run e85...lol

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
Who else is on PBD's waiting list for the Whipple intercooler? I don't live far from them (PBD) so I'll more than likely have the same shop they mentioned in the above video install it... :p and I agree, It's def starting to get pricey!!

Last edited:
OP
T
Reactions
Thread Starter #20
not on the waiting list just in case this corona thing gets worse.. don’t want to commit yet, but i’ll more than likely just order it at the end of april when it’s available.. also thinking about installing it myself along with the vr2 and hopefully a cai if it’s available by then