Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

What Have You Done To Your Explorer ST Today

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST (AWD)
Finally installed the Ford Performance tune today. I picked it up at Lethal and the local ASE certified mechanic installed it for $55. I was pleasantly surprised that the automatically applied parking brake "safety" feature was not included in the tune. Cheers.
I’m also close to Lethal, do you mind sharing which ASE place you took your ST?

Reactions
I am interested also, I emailed three local Ford dealerships asking about the Ford Performance tune and neither one responded. Grieco Ford wanted to charge me 2 hrs @ 179 per hr. which was discounted from $199 and they have not installed one yet.

Reactions
I’m also close to Lethal, do you mind sharing which ASE place you took your ST?
Hey, I am in Northern Ontario. I bought the tune from Lethal, but had it installed here in the North Bay area. Good luck with your install.

Reactions
I am interested also, I emailed three local Ford dealerships asking about the Ford Performance tune and neither one responded. Grieco Ford wanted to charge me 2 hrs @ 179 per hr. which was discounted from $199 and they have not installed one yet.
The mechanic I went to charged me 30 minutes of shop time. It took about 20 minutes total start to finish including attaching the battery charger and closing the hood when done.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Greased the rear axle splines--no more metallic "tink" sound!

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Washed the ST and dressed up the black trim.

BigAnt75

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Finally installed the Ford Performance tune today. I picked it up at Lethal and the local ASE certified mechanic installed it for $55. I was pleasantly surprised that the automatically applied parking brake "safety" feature was not included in the tune. Cheers.
How’s she running now after the FP tine and what other mods do you have?

Reactions
How’s she running now after the FP tine and what other mods do you have?
Just made a 250 mile trip for work. No issues with regular driving. I have been leaving it in Sport mode and hitting the gas hard as much as possible. To a lay person like me, it just seems to be a little more responsive off the line and the rear end drops like a real sports car now. No other mods at this time. Cheers.

Reactions
I need to change the spark plugs but local shops are trying to charge upwards of $500 for the job. Is it really that hard?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
Got my Steeda springs and rear sway bar installed. I can’t notice any real difference in handling except maybe the steering is a little more responsive. Stance looks great though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
I need to change the spark plugs but local shops are trying to charge upwards of $500 for the job. Is it really that hard?
nope, as long as you have 1/4" and 3/8" extensions and swivels it is easy. Remove the bracket that holds the heater hoses and move those out of the way to get better access to the back two plugs. I think getting the coil packs off the threaded studs was the hardest part.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Just installed the Steeda Subframe Bushing Inserts. Super super easy install, just used my floor jacks. It can be done with the wheels on but it's much easier with them off. I helped my buddy do this same thing on his S550 Mustang and it was such a bitch on that car. But our Explorers have so much room for activities under there; it was cake. 1 hour 20 min from starting to gather the tools til I washed my hands after cleaning everything. Plus this was the first time using my new electric impact driver, and we all know new power tools are almost as much fun as new car parts!

2 notes I'd add to the instructions. First, when installing the rear lower insert, it's D-shaped so make sure the round edge is facing front and the flat is facing back. It will fit fine either way, but if you have the round side towards the back, it will definitely touch off on the sway bar. Second, on the rear 13mm bolts, in the video there is 1 each side but on mine there is 2. Also, start these back in BEFORE you reinstall the 21mm rear subframe bolt. Perfect Ford build quality meant my holes didn't line up at all if I started the rear subframe bolt first. I didn't take a pic but if you do this job, you'll know exactly what I'm saying. I'll report back later with any new driving impressions.

Front Subframe Bush.jpg
Rear Subframe Bush.jpg

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
Put on some new tires today. Needed something that was decent in the snow yet wasn’t going to be loud. I went with the Yokohama Geolandar X-CV and I’m very happy. They are actually quieter than the Michelins that were on it. Hopefully they live up to the ratings!

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Just installed the Steeda Subframe Bushing Inserts. Super super easy install, just used my floor jacks. It can be done with the wheels on but it's much easier with them off. I helped my buddy do this same thing on his S550 Mustang and it was such a bitch on that car. But our Explorers have so much room for activities under there; it was cake. 1 hour 20 min from starting to gather the tools til I washed my hands after cleaning everything. Plus this was the first time using my new electric impact driver, and we all know new power tools are almost as much fun as new car parts!

2 notes I'd add to the instructions. First, when installing the rear lower insert, it's D-shaped so make sure the round edge is facing front and the flat is facing back. It will fit fine either way, but if you have the round side towards the back, it will definitely touch off on the sway bar. Second, on the rear 13mm bolts, in the video there is 1 each side but on mine there is 2. Also, start these back in BEFORE you reinstall the 21mm rear subframe bolt. Perfect Ford build quality meant my holes didn't line up at all if I started the rear subframe bolt first. I didn't take a pic but if you do this job, you'll know exactly what I'm saying. I'll report back later with any new driving impressions.

View attachment 19691
View attachment 19692
Thanks for that. I’m getting ready to do mine along with some fluid changes. Wish Steeda had these when I replaced my crossmember last year

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST

Just took it for a drive and did some launches. There is zero NVH increase. The rearend definitely feels more stable and planted, even at light throttle and over bumps. Mine always felt a little soft in the rear and these helped. Full throttle at the 1-2 and 2-3 shift I always felt too much movement/chattering at the rear. The toe links helped reduce it, but it now is gone. These are one of those must-do, no-downside upgrades whether you're slow (stock like me or FP tune) or actually capable of wheel hop (big boy tune). The fact that it's cheap is just icing on the cake.

@Cruising68 get cracking! Pop a beer and enjoy. Final note, if you don't have an impact driver, get a long breaker bar for the subframe bolts. They are only supposed to be 129 ft-lbs but Ford obviously put a few more ugga-duggas on it. Maybe you're in better shape since you replaced the subframe already.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks! I owned a tool company for 20 years so my problem with tools is I am running out of room for them, not that I don’t have the right tool for the job

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Put on some new tires today. Needed something that was decent in the snow yet wasn’t going to be loud. I went with the Yokohama Geolandar X-CV and I’m very happy. They are actually quieter than the Michelins that were on it. Hopefully they live up to the ratings!

Well...what size did you go with? If you went wider than stock, please post a few pics.

F=MA

Reactions
Installed a new Duralast Premium battery in my 2020 ST this week. Got 37 months out of the original battery. Power was there but wouldn't turn over. Thankful it happened in the garage. Now works like normal after several days and I did not have any issues with the power windows needing to be reset or the Battery Management System needing to be reset. Only had to press the Autostop button again (on) and turn the volume back up on the Uniden R3.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Today I added lethal lowering springs, wheels, and a thermalrd! I'm a happy customer. Thermal sounds amazing when you have to get on it. Otherwise not to loud at normal driving. Do most people drive their explorer ST hard? I only get on it when I feel the itch. Other than that I leave it in normal mode?