Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

What Have You Done To Your Explorer ST Today

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Well not today, but two weeks back. I have remote started the car from half way around the globe. Never thought it would work, so had a friend go near the car and confirm it.

This is how I found it, on the day I came back, after a month long vacation.
View attachment 16847
How many days went by before you remote started with your phone? Some on here have mentioned that the ST goes into deep sleep mode after a week or two and that remote start will not work once in deep sleep mode. Just wondering as my key fob stays exclusively in the vehicle.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I loaded her up and will drop it off at the shop on my way to the airport in the morning.

4A0AABBC-43E2-4011-A7C9-204B24C0803A.jpeg

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
How many days went by before you remote started with your phone? Some on here have mentioned that the ST goes into deep sleep mode after a week or two and that remote start will not work once in deep sleep mode. Just wondering as my key fob stays exclusively in the vehicle.
I think just after 10 days.
The mentioned friend was taking care of the car while I was away. So the vehicle was started and kept running, once every 10 days or so.
No clue about the deep sleep part.

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
'23 ExST, '17 Raptor, '16 FoST, FFR Cobra
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Ordered one of these slick-as-snot-should-have-been-OEM little jewels:
View attachment 16879
That's a great product. Someone really understood, what the customer really wanted.
Just make sure every phone mounted on it, is snug fit. and no possibility of putting pressure on the charging port inside the phone.
Under hard acceleration and braking, the modern heavy phones are known to come out of this slot.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST (AWD)
  • Borla S-Type exhaust system installed.
  • Tinted Suntek (Evolve) Ceramic front windshield @ 70%, Front Driver and Passenger @ 15%.
  • Gorilla Lug Nutz installed.
    • Dewalt 1/2in Impact Wrench to do the job.
    • Craftsman Torque Wrench @ 150lbs

Pending:
  • Black/Red Ford badges (stickers)
  • Ford Performance Tune
  • JL Oil Catch Can ETA by 3/17

Attachments

79GearHd

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Installed CVF Downpipes, Thermal Catback and JLT Catchcan yesterday. Downpipes were a pain, and probably will have a few new scars on my hands to show, but a good day overall. Now just hoping for a few dry/decent weather 20230315_074639.jpg 20230315_081105.jpg days to clean her up.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Installed CVF Downpipes, Thermal Catback and JLT Catchcan yesterday. Downpipes were a pain, and probably will have a few new scars on my hands to show, but a good day overall. Now just hoping for a few dry/decent weather View attachment 16945 View attachment 16946 days to clean her up.
Nice. I’ve been dragging my feet on my DPs for six months knowing it will not be fun. Probably worse on my hands than replacing the rear 3 bolt cradle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Added a bolt to the 1/3 bolt differential mount

EDIT: and removed it per some advice from knowledgeable members of this forum

I decided I would be the guinea pig…

Since Ford isn’t going to install the proper sub-frame (and I will be Hwy towing and off road towing) I decided I would just install a bolt with bushings on each side of the sub-frame (and not gunna pay the crazy prices for the existing after market brackets) for some peace of mind.

I had to drill out the rear hole to make my bushing fit inside it and behind it. I made another bushing (without protrusion into sub-frame, couldn’t get to the hole to make it bigger) and put it between the sub-frame and the differential housing bolt hole. I then used a grade-8, 14-20 bolt 5” long w/ some blue thread lock and tightened it up fairly snug.

My thinking here is… since there is at least an 1/8” space all the way around the bolt in the sub-frame and there is a “dampener” bushing snugged in there, there should be similar or more give than the OEM other side bolt thus adding support without affecting the movement that was already there. So hopefully the new bolt will just prevent too much movement and maybe avoid a broken bolt and the added support shouldn’t affect the warrantee.

**I made the bushings from shock mount bushings drilled out with 5/8” bit.

EDIT: I had to add a second washer because the bolt was a bit too long. No funny sounds or vibrations during test drive!
001 Before.jpg 002 My Bolt 01.jpg 004 Done 01.jpg 005 Done 02.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions

Since Ford isn’t going to install the proper sub-frame (and I will be Hwy towing and off road towing) I decided I would just install a bolt with bushings on each side of the sub-frame (and not gunna pay the crazy prices for the existing after market brackets) for some peace of mind.

I had to drill out the rear hole to make my bushing fit inside it and behind it. I made another bushing (without protrusion into sub-frame, couldn’t get to the hole to make it bigger) and put it between the sub-frame and the differential housing bolt hole. I then used a grade-8, 14-20 bolt 5” long w/ some blue thread lock and tightened it up fairly snug.

My thinking here is… since there is at least an 1/8” space all the way around the bolt in the sub-frame and there is a “dampener” bushing snugged in there, there should be similar or more give than the OEM other side bolt thus adding support without affecting the movement that was already there. So hopefully the new bolt will just prevent too much movement and maybe avoid a broken bolt and the added support shouldn’t affect the warrantee.

EDIT: I had to add a second washer because the bolt was a bit too long. No funny sounds or vibrations during test drive!
View attachment 16949 View attachment 16950 View attachment 16952 View attachment 16953
This has been discussed before…it’s just not a good idea.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions

I applaud anyone who goes to the trouble to attempt a DIY fix. In this case, I don't believe your approach is going to be effective. Because the bolt is only supported on the subframe side by a 1/8" gap (with some rubber "snugged in") and there is a probable 4" distance between the threaded differential boss and subframe, when the diff starts to rotate, due to the added unsupported length of the lever (bolt) it will move a greater distance in the "Y" plane (up and down). As the bushing deflects, force will be transferred to your bolt, the subframe, and the differential boss. The bolt will likely fail. If it doesn't you may break the differential boss.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I applaud anyone who goes to the trouble to attempt a DIY fix. In this case, I don't believe your approach is going to be effective. Because the bolt is only supported on the subframe side by a 1/8" gap (with some rubber "snugged in") and there is a probable 4" distance between the threaded differential boss and subframe, when the diff starts to rotate, due to the added unsupported length of the lever (bolt) it will move a greater distance in the "Y" plane (up and down). As the bushing deflects, force will be transferred to your bolt, the subframe, and the differential boss. The bolt will likely fail. If it doesn't you may break the differential boss.
My reply was a bit more redneck. lol
I was gonna say when the oem bushings deflect as the diff moves up and down the new bolt is gonna whack the subframe and break the aluminum diff cover.