Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

What did your Ford Explorer ST replace?

Reactions
Just traded in my 2008 Trailblazer SS yesterday on my first Ford purchase ever. Will miss the LS2 V8 but wont miss the 14 mpg it got. Looking forward to enjoying the new tech on our new 2020 Explorer ST as well.

The trailblazer SS was the most reliable car I have ever owned but seems dated compared to the ST now. Hope our new SUV hot rod is as reliable as my SS, it seems to be just as fast which is great.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions
Just traded in my 2008 Trailblazer SS yesterday on my first Ford purchase ever. Will miss the LS2 V8 but wont miss the 14 mpg it got. Looking forward to enjoying the new tech on our new 2020 Explorer ST as well.

The trailblazer SS was the most reliable car I have ever owned but seems dated compared to the ST now. Hope our new SUV hot rod is as reliable as my SS, it seems to be just as fast which is great.
Welcome !!! You won’t be disappointed! Least I wasn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
2019 Edge ST... just wasn’t enough.
I’m glad I didn’t go for it when it came out... what put me off was the aged interior... pretty much looked like the 17 fusion I was driving at the time. Ever since the Exp ST was announced, the edge was quickly forgotten.

skindog

Reactions
2018 Flex. 12 year run on flexes ended with my wife's second choice for a vehicle. Ford A- Plan since marrying her 20 years ago. The pairing of ST with a 3 row vehicle and my turbo charged 4 cylinder past and speed need...... semi no brainer. So far so good!!

Reactions
2018 Explorer Sport

Reactions
2005 Toyota Tundra, finally upgraded to dadmobile after costly divorce lol

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
2010 Range Rover Sport, Supercharged 5.0L.
incredible truck (built when Ford owned Rover). Bottomless power, but with nearly 120k miles, I was getting bottomless maintenance on it too. It was time to go and I'm glad Ford came out with these STs as a viable replacement for a high-power performance SUV. Couldn't beat end of 2020 prices or financing options either!
20160129_154156_3.jpg 20200908_174614.jpg

Reactions
Massive change... why rid of the M5?

Bought the M5 for my daily and the Edge was the family car for me my wife and our 90lbs dog take places we didn't want to drive our cars to (camping, leaving at mountain trail heads etc).

We then adopted another dog who ended up growing to be 80lbs and was thinking about trading the Edge in as we didn't all fit if we wanted to be able to use the cargo area.

Then, COVID shut the world down and I found I was never really driving the M5 anymore (plus if you got over the straight line speed, it got a bit boring) as all of our driving included the dogs so got rid of both and got the Explorer. Always had Ford's as my second, or primary depending on which way you look at it, vehicle and this is my second Explorer now (had a '17 Sport). So far the ST has been a bit of a let down in terms of build quality - mainly misaligned body panels but the driving dynamics and usability are excellent (plus it's a looker IMO).

There will be another, more pure sports car in my future but I can actually see myself hanging onto the ST for a while as a primary vehicle this time, as long as it stays reliable...

That's my long answer to your short question ;)

Reactions
Bought the M5 for my daily and the Edge was the family car for me my wife and our 90lbs dog take places we didn't want to drive our cars to (camping, leaving at mountain trail heads etc).

We then adopted another dog who ended up growing to be 80lbs and was thinking about trading the Edge in as we didn't all fit if we wanted to be able to use the cargo area.

Then, COVID shut the world down and I found I was never really driving the M5 anymore (plus if you got over the straight line speed, it got a bit boring) as all of our driving included the dogs so got rid of both and got the Explorer. Always had Ford's as my second, or primary depending on which way you look at it, vehicle and this is my second Explorer now (had a '17 Sport). So far the ST has been a bit of a let down in terms of build quality - mainly misaligned body panels but the driving dynamics and usability are excellent (plus it's a looker IMO).

There will be another, more pure sports car in my future but I can actually see myself hanging onto the ST for a while as a primary vehicle this time, as long as it stays reliable...

That's my long answer to your short question ;)
I must have lucked out regarding panel gaps and build quality. Everything is lined up and pristine.

I’m glad you’re enjoying it.

Reactions
I must have lucked out regarding panel gaps and build quality. Everything is lined up and pristine.

I’m glad you’re enjoying it.

Same here. Before I took delivery I examined everything as best I could, and everything lines up nicely as it should.

hbalek

Reactions
Same here. Before I took delivery I examined everything as best I could, and everything lines up nicely as it should.
On the exterior everything is lined up but the dashboard has a few big gaps in the cheap plastic trim.

Reactions
ST replaced a 2003 Acura TL Type-S with 69k miles and a ton of mods. DSC01686 wide (Large).jpg