Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

What are some of your other hobbies?

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #61
Thank you kindly. It's a drone shot.....I'm scared of heights. Hence my career in the US Navy onboard submarines. ;-)
All in good fun... Thank you again for your service.
My name is Mike. Nice to know a bit more about you.

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
May I ask where we you stationed? and thank you for your service. Was it the PI?
Fort Ord, CA and Kitzingen, Germany. Also did a tour in Iraq with the Maryland National Guard. If nothing else, the Army made me a great runner (IMO) and I am forever grateful.

LT Lost

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I play Ice Hockey in the Sonoran Desert. It helps to have an NHL and D1 team in the valley.

Reactions
Watches. It's a very fun hobby but also very annoying and can be very expensive. I've bought and sold countless Rolexes, Omegas, and Grand Seikos (for example).

After culling my collection down to 2 (and using a lot of the sales to fund house repairs and our upcoming 3rd floor), I am down to an Omega Seamaster Pro (white) and a Grand Seiko SBGA211 (Snowflake).

View attachment 4575

View attachment 4576
Was gifted a Rolex for Christmas. Will never wear it. Thinking of selling it. Where can I get the best bang fir my buck if I decide to? Have all original packaging, sales card etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
I'm a year older and a year slower. Lol...51... I ride often in South Florida. Perhaps 60 miles per week. The weather this time of the year is absolutely beautiful and is the reason I moved down here. In the summer I go up North for a couple of months to get out of hurricane season. Texas is permanent resident for you? Everything's bigger in Texas. Hahaha.

I wonder whats the average age of the members on this forum are? I would venture most are between 40 and 60. the younger people are not interested in the Explorer ST and at $55,000 plus it would be out of reach for most 20-25 year-olds. What's your take on it?
Hey, hey, whoa now(I kid ). I'm 27, was early 26 when we purchased. It wasn't too far fetched for my wife and I, but we're very fortunate for our financial situation at our age.

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #66
Was gifted a Rolex for Christmas. Will never wear it. Thinking of selling it. Where can I get the best bang fir my buck if I decide to? Have all original packaging, sales card etc.

A Rolex is timeless. Why not wear it? It is a sign of success and prestige. Please do not tell me you would rather wear a apple or smart watch instead????. :-(. They are garbage compared to a Sub Mariner or Presidential Rolex.

Any reputable jeweler or Rolex broker will buy from you.

Reactions
A Rolex is timeless. Why not wear it? It is a sign of success and prestige. Please do not tell me you would rather wear a apple or smart watch instead????. :-(. They are garbage compared to a Sub Mariner or Presidential Rolex.
Yeah I totally hear you and am very torn as I understand the prestige, quality and brand legacy. It’s a beautiful watch but is all stainless and I’m a yellow gold/two tone guy. It’s just not my speed. I haven’t worn it once even though I’ve been tempted because if anything I’ve been planning to hold onto it as a family heirloom as I know its value will appreciate over time. With that being said, I thought I’d research what selling it might look like so I could see if I’m at all interested. These ST mods don’t fund themselves lol.

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #68
Hey, hey, whoa now(I kid ). I'm 27, was early 26 when we purchased. It wasn't too far fetched for my wife and I, but we're very fortunate for our financial situation at our age.
You are 2 years out of my comment.. hahah.. It was a question.. Not a statement. LOL

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #69
Yeah I totally hear you and am very torn as I understand the prestige, quality and brand legacy. It’s a beautiful watch but is all stainless and I’m a yellow gold/two tone guy. It’s just not my speed. I haven’t worn it once even though I’ve been tempted because if anything I’ve been planning to hold onto it as a family heirloom as I know its value will appreciate over time. With that being said, I thought I’d research what selling it might look like so I could see if I’m at all interested. These ST mods don’t fund themselves lol.

My father gave me my 18K Sub Rolex for my 40th birthday (11 years ago). IMHO it is the perfect watch. The dark blue face and 18K gold is truly striking combo. The design is flawless and timeless and still very desirable today.
The 18K Sub is $42,000 and the Stainless sub is about $14,000.00. Still a nice chuck of change. Trade value is about 60%.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions
My father gave me my first Rolex for my 40th birthday. IMHO it is the perfect watch. The design is flawless and timeless and still very desirable today.
Beautiful. I’d wear that...

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #71
Beautiful. I’d wear that...

Thank you. I wear it everyday. My dad died of liver cancer a few years ago. Now more than ever it is a part of me because it was a gift from him.

Reactions
Thank you. I wear it everyday. My dad died of liver cancer a few years ago. Now more than ever it is a part of me because it was a gift from him.
Very sorry and a very cool memento

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #73
Very sorry and a very cool memento

Cancer sucks. I hate to hear any one plagued by it. I just lost my sister in law last year to Brain Cancer. She was 49. She suffered 12 years. I refinanced my house twice to get her the help she needed when the insurance ran out. She was given 6 months and lasted 12 years. I knew Theresa since we were 5 years or so. :-(

Reactions
Cancer sucks. I hate to hear any one plagued by it. I just lost my sister in law last year to Brain Cancer. She was 49. She suffered 12 years. I refinanced my house twice to get her the help she needed when the insurance ran out. She was given 6 months and lasted 12 years. I knew Theresa since we were 5 years or so. :-(
Yeah you ain’t lying. My dad just beat prostate cancer so we are very thankful for that.

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #75
Yeah you ain’t lying. My dad just beat prostate cancer so we are very thankful for that.

a win is a win... Good for your dad...Spend as much time with parents. Time goes by too quick.

GN.

DoingOK

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
I just finished chemotherapy and radiation 4 weeks ago......still pretty weak from it. Cancer does suck. A lot.

CapTom

U.S. Army Veteran
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I just finished chemotherapy and radiation 4 weeks ago......still pretty weak from it. Cancer does suck. A lot.
It does suck. Glad you're through with the worst part. The recovery is slow, but it will happen.

Reactions

Any reputable jeweler or Rolex broker will buy from you.
I would wear my Instinct watch over a Rolex any day but I'm a Carhartt and boots guy who doesn't care what others think and I don't pretend to be something I'm not. In all honesty watches, cars, high end trap shotguns or big houses don't impress me one bit.

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #79
So sorry bro I'll keep you in my thoughts. You'll get stronger every day and the worst is behind you. I know it. If you get sad, just look at that aerial photo of your house, it makes me happy every time I look at it. Lol.
Your forum name says it all..."Doing Ok"

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #80
I would wear my Instinct watch over a Rolex any day but I'm a Carhartt and boots guy who doesn't care what others think and I don't pretend to be something I'm not. In all honesty watches, cars, high end trap shotguns or big houses don't impress me one bit.
What are you passionate about and what does impress you? I admire and enjoy seeing with others have accomplished as much as I love to discuss what I've accomplished. It's part of human nature to share and bond over common interests and accomplishments. There should be no jealousy only enjoyment in learning about someone else and their lives.

I actually had to Google what the hell an "Instinct Watch" was.. memory serves I think my niece wears one because she's an avid hiker ,bicyclist and outdoors person. Now I learned something from you.

Last edited:

Explorer ST Posts