Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Water Leak When It Rains

jweakley

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
My 2021 ST has developed a leak on the front passenger foot area when it rains. The rubber mat has so far contained the water, so I don’t have a mildew issue yet. Dealer tech says he can’t find where the water is coming in. Anyone else experience this?

Reactions
My 2021 ST has developed a leak on the front passenger foot area when it rains. The rubber mat has so far contained the water, so I don’t have a mildew issue yet. Dealer tech says he can’t find where the water is coming in. Anyone else experience this?
Lots of water in spare wheel area instances.. but never front passenger footwell. A drain somewhere is probably clogged but finding it will probably be tough.

F=MA

Reactions
How am I going to drive by my windshield? But I know what you meant.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I think he's inquiring about the windshield not being adequately sealed. I think though that the sunroof drains down the A and C pillars. maybe check that first.

Reactions
If you have a sun roof, the drain tubes can clog and water will go around the seals and come through the ceiling above the visor. Problam can cause electrical issues if moisture gets into drivers side electronics, like fuse box.

Reactions
If you had battery replaced. The windshield crow is not snapped in along bottom of windshield. Water Entering and going in vent behind battery.

Reactions
If you had battery replaced. The windshield crow is not snapped in along bottom of windshield. Water Entering and going in vent behind battery.

Reactions
If you have a sun roof, possibly plugged drain tubes that need cleaning out with high pressure air. Also, as HH nmentioned, check battery cover cowl that is held down with twist clips. If not scrwed down tightly and correctly, wter gets in. They break easily when removed so it is good to have replacements.

Deb

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
My 2020 ST has same problem, with lots of water pooled in the floor mat and under it the very first heavy rain we had. Ford sent it to the body shop for repair.

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Just discovered that my '20 ST has a 1/4 separation from the bottom edge of the windshield to the sealing gasket. I can see debris inside the gap, so I'm gonna try and clean it out and either seal it myself or take it to an automotive glass shop.

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Turns out my passenger side cowl wasn't warped at all, just not fully seated. I opened the hood and just pushed back on the cowl piece and it snapped under the windshield. Tested with a 1/2 gallon of water, no leaks. Photos of before and after
2020 ST Passenger side Windshield cowl gap Before and After.jpg

Ahmed2020

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorere 2020
I have the same issue. water after rain in the driver's well under the mat. I have a 2020 with a sunroof. I will check the Battery cover, the windshield seal, and the sunroof drains

Thanks for the notes guys, will update you with my findings

magee69

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 for explorer xlt
having the same issue with my 2020 XLT, the drain plugs don't seem to be clogged, the windshield seems to be sealed, battery cowl seems to be on correct. no ford warranty left so hoping to get this fixed on my own.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Same thing happened on my 21 after a windshield replacement. Once I found out it was the cowl, I snapped it back in place and never happened again.

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
having the same issue with my 2020 XLT, the drain plugs don't seem to be clogged, the windshield seems to be sealed, battery cowl seems to be on correct. no ford warranty left so hoping to get this fixed on my own.
The cowl gap can be deceivingly small. Push on the cowling, especially over the battery, very firmly to make sure it's snapped in place. This was where my leaking was coming from.