Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Water leak passenger side carpet wet. 2020 St.

Dough

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Battery replaced cowling removed to get to Battery.
Dealer did not install the cowling right where the windshield meets the top of the cowling. Need to push the cowling onto the clips.
Water will fill the cabin filter and run over to the floor carpet.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thanks for the heads up. I plan on replacing mine myself when the time comes and will pay attention to this. We really should be getting 5-6 years out of our original batteries.

OP
D

Dough

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up. I plan on replacing mine myself when the time comes and will pay attention to this. We really should be getting 5-6 years out of our original batteries.
Two years for Battary in AZ.

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Wow, Just found my passenger front carpet wet and standing water in my Weathertech Thanks for the solve!

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
This same thing happened to me last week and I haven't been able to pin down the cause. I assumed it was a clogged sunroof drain as that seems to be the most common issue with wet passenger floor boards.

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
So I did find the Battery cover not snapped in, snapped it in and added water and mine's still leaking. Inspected the windshield bottom edge and found that the factory seal was separated from the windshield by a 1/4 inch, even see debris inside the gap. Gonna clean it as best I can and try just sealing it. Next step would be to have glass shop pull the windshield, clean the edge, and reseat. (Out of warranty already).

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
So I did find the Battery cover not snapped in, snapped it in and added water and mine's still leaking. Inspected the windshield bottom edge and found that the factory seal was separated from the windshield by a 1/4 inch, even see debris inside the gap. Gonna clean it as best I can and try just sealing it. Next step would be to have glass shop pull the windshield, clean the edge, and reseat. (Out of warranty already).
Is it leaking from where the windshield meets the cowl?

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Turns out my passenger side cowl was just not fully seated. I opened the hood and just pushed back on the cowl piece and it snapped under the windshield. Tested with a 1/2 gallon of water, no leaks. Photos of before and after
2020 ST Passenger side Windshield cowl gap Before and After.jpg

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
I had a windshield replaced and they didn't reinstall the cover correctly and I got standing water on the floor mat and my cabin filter was water logged.

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Turns out my passenger side cowl was just not fully seated. I opened the hood and just pushed back on the cowl piece and it snapped under the windshield. Tested with a 1/2 gallon of water, no leaks. Photos of before and after
View attachment 19979
I think this might have been my problem too. However, I can't seem to get the two cowl pieces to connect tightly together - the passenger side and the driver side pieces. Though they both seem to snap into the windshield. I'm hoping that's good enough to prevent interior leaks and water will fall in between the two cowl pieces and drain through the engine compartment...

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
View attachment 19979
I checked ours and it is good. Nice Digi-Key ruler! I work right next door to them!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
The water will get into the A/C filter if the cowling is not installed correctly.

Attachments

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I think this might have been my problem too. However, I can't seem to get the two cowl pieces to connect tightly together - the passenger side and the driver side pieces. Though they both seem to snap into the windshield. I'm hoping that's good enough to prevent interior leaks and water will fall in between the two cowl pieces and drain through the engine compartment...
I've considered using some #22072 Permatex Hi Temp Ultra Black RTV Silicone along the bottom edge of the windshield before snapping the two cowl pieces back into the windshield. That would seal and hold that cowl on the bottom edge of the glass, but be able to be peeled away fairly easily.
Screenshot 2023-10-13 224222.png

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
My 2020 Explorer ST also was flooding in the front driver and passenger sides, the driver side had 2" of water after a heavy rain. under the dash on the left driver and right passenger side there are 2 firewall gromets with drain tubes connected from the windshield cowl, the one on the driver side is just above the dead pedal and if you have big feet like me you can knock this out without knowing until it rains. was an easy fix to get it back in and connected. I don't know what the Ford engineers were thinking or not but this is the most idiotic design I have ever seen. Why would they run a drain tube inside the cabin and not in the fender well.

Attachments

Shanekacz

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
My 2020 ExST just started flooding on the passenger side. We just started getting rain in CA and last week I noticed the glovebox full of water. This week the glovebox and passenger floor have water pooling and I noticed last night it was coming down the pillar on the passenger side as well. I'm assuming this is the drain line being clogged but how do I get to it or what does it look like? I threw a tarp over it last night which seemed to help but now it's sitting out in the rain at work.

Attachments