Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Valvetronic Exhaust

56mq

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer st
Stock pipes/resonator produce no drone but make the exhaust raspy. On top of that at low rpm the car sounds quiet, once you break 4k rpm the noise opens up but x pipe helps to make it more grunty in the lower rpms... that is if you can find one that has minimal drone.

In order to balance out the flow and create a better sound you need some sort of x or h pipe to balance it out, I am currently running stock resonator because I started messing around with other cars but I have an x pipe I got from from @ARC that should be drone free. I just have to actually find time to install it.
so one question I have is Valvetronic said to use a 2.5” x pipe which I did. The actual pipe on the ford is 2.25” so the muffler shop made an adapter to go from the stock pipe to the x pipe. Should I go with a 2.25” x pipe ? Wasn’t sure if the pressure was building up in the x pipe. Just one more thing im throwing out there.

Reactions
so one question I have is Valvetronic said to use a 2.5” x pipe which I did. The actual pipe on the ford is 2.25” so the muffler shop made an adapter to go from the stock pipe to the x pipe. Should I go with a 2.25” x pipe ? Wasn’t sure if the pressure was building up in the x pipe. Just one more thing im throwing out there.
They will just use a reducer, it should be fine. It's not as if ur car is going for a 3 inch to a 2 inch.

The other question for you was what rpm and speeds did it drone?

When I had the mrt axleback on the drone was bad between 2500-3500 rpm

And between the transmission sitting in higher gears and the drone it became a nuisance.

56mq

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer st
They will just use a reducer, it should be fine. It's not as if ur car is going for a 3 inch to a 2 inch.

The other question for you was what rpm and speeds did it drone?

When I had the mrt axleback on the drone was bad between 2500-3500 rpm

And between the transmission sitting in higher gears and the drone it became a nuisance.
its primarily an issue between 2k and 3.5k at highway speeds.

Reactions
Magnaflow is a more reputable company for sure. I'm not really sure how the x pipe will do. Kinda just gonna have to test it and see, when you get it put on send some sound clips, I would be interested to see how it does.
My magnaflow did not fit correctly out of the box. Highway drone is higher than 85dcb which is permanently damaging. Magnaflo cited a small print disclaimer and told me to kick rocks. I'm looking at sound deadening solutions and FENG cancel in the ecu.

Attachments

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Say what you will about the quality of MagnaFlow's products, but should you ever need Customer Support, they are hands down one of the worst companies I've ever dealt with.

56mq

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer st
Hey all. Had my magnaflow installed today and the drone is much better. Appreciate the suggestions.

Reactions
Vehicle
2002 Ford Mustang
Hey all. Had my magnaflow installed today and the drone is much better. Appreciate the suggestions.
So what is your whole setup now for your exhaust? I love the idea of the Valvetronic exhaust but would absolutely hate to have drone since this would be a family hauler for long trips. Would just the magnaflow x-pipe with Valvetronic exhaust work pretty well?

Reactions
So what is your whole setup now for your exhaust? I love the idea of the Valvetronic exhaust but would absolutely hate to have drone since this would be a family hauler for long trips. Would just the magnaflow x-pipe with Valvetronic exhaust work pretty well?
Recommendation is you start with the valvetronic mufflers, if it isn't loud enough go x pipe, if that's not loud enough go less restrictive downpipes

Reactions
Vehicle
2002 Ford Mustang
Recommendation is you start with the valvetronic mufflers, if it isn't loud enough go x pipe, if that's not loud enough go less restrictive downpipes
Someone was saying that without an x-pipe, the valvetronic mufflers can sound a little raspy. But I also heard in this thread that people are also getting drone with their exhaust setup which would be upsetting to have.

Another thing I am curious on is about using an x-pipe or an h-pipe since I hear an h-pipe can deepen the sound of exhaust. I wonder what I would like more since I normally am a v8 sound kind of person but since this has a v6, maybe just support that sound with an x-pipe instead of trying to morph it closer to a v8 and miss it by a mile. So many thoughts!!!

That looks like a sweet setup! I assume it's more effort and money than I would want to get into right now but I'll dream about it!

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Simple answer people: If the manufacturer doesn't state their exhaust is drone free, then expect it to drone.

If I ever change the exhaust, it will either have a manufacturer's guarantee that is doesn't drone or it won't go on my car.

Reactions
Someone was saying that without an x-pipe, the valvetronic mufflers can sound a little raspy. But I also heard in this thread that people are also getting drone with their exhaust setup which would be upsetting to have.

Another thing I am curious on is about using an x-pipe or an h-pipe since I hear an h-pipe can deepen the sound of exhaust. I wonder what I would like more since I normally am a v8 sound kind of person but since this has a v6, maybe just support that sound with an x-pipe instead of trying to morph it closer to a v8 and miss it by a mile. So many thoughts!!!

That looks like a sweet setup! I assume it's more effort and money than I would want to get into right now but I'll dream about it!
Yeah I said that lol, but the thing is you get no drone, it's as quiet as stock under 3k rpm.

Reactions
Vehicle
2002 Ford Mustang
Simple answer people: If the manufacturer doesn't state their exhaust is drone free, then expect it to drone.

If I ever change the exhaust, it will either have a manufacturer's guarantee that is doesn't drone or it won't go on my car.
I would agree with that statement because hopefully if they're wrong, they'll work with you if there are any issues.

Issue here is this is a thread about the Valvetronic mufflers that are universal so they will not guarantee it will be drone free. So what I and everyone else on this thread are trying to do is see if others have installed these mufflers, if they had any issues, and what they may have done to resolve those issues.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I would agree with that statement because hopefully if they're wrong, they'll work with you if there are any issues.

Issue here is this is a thread about the Valvetronic mufflers that are universal so they will not guarantee it will be drone free. So what I and everyone else on this thread are trying to do is see if others have installed these mufflers, if they had any issues, and what they may have done to resolve those issues.
No issues at all with mine, but I also went a step further.

Reactions
Vehicle
2002 Ford Mustang
No issues at all with mine, but I also went a step further.
A step?! I saw your build and it looks and I'm sure sounds great! Haha, I am just trying to see if I can get away with the Valvetronic mufflers and maybe Magnaflow tru-x resonator x-pipe! Save a little money for now and maaaaybe some day do something a little more exciting and...expensive.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST

I concur that Valvetronic can not guarantee a drone free result.

So what I and others on this thread need to be reminded of is that they could spend tons of cash for something that later on might end up in the junk heap, which is exactly the concern I was relaying.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The "drone" sound is entirely based on the acoustics of the exhaust- which if you're not an expert- you don't know anything about. No single muffler or cross pipe is the problem. It's the volume and length of the exhaust and the pulses per time (frequency), which produce the sound.

Trying to guess which hybrid solution will work is pointless! If you do a hybrid solution and get lucky, cool. Otherwise, you're going to have to invest in additional acoustical aids (Helmholtz resonators) to cure the resonance at low RPM frequencies.

If you think the ST is ever going to sound like a true dual-exhaust cross-plane V-8, you are bound to be disappointed.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2002 Ford Mustang
Just looking for people's experiences. There are always people willing to do some experiments for the fun of it and FOR SCIENCE. I used to do this with a friend when I was in high school and college where we would throw together random exhaust systems and tell people about it in forums and people found it interesting and at times beneficial. I no longer do that but am just seeing if anyone else has tried such a thing. It seems there are a few people trying it such as 56mq and WindyDishes and just looking to see what their experience was.