Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Valvetronic Exhaust

Reactions
Hi all, I see the general consensus is that doing a custom or cat-back exhaust does little to nothing for performance but is more for the tone of the exhaust. Has anyone thought of DIY'ing a valvetronic exhaust or even reaching out to a company like ArmyTrix? It would be pretty cool to be able to open or close our exhaust based on our mood or where we are. I love the quiet day to day of the car but at the track, or in a tunnel, etc.... would love to open it up. Just seeing if anyone had given this any thought.

Reactions
I would love if armytrix released something for us. They make some sick shit!

Reactions
$5000.00 for a sound change is a bit crazy IMHO !

It's not like you are going to get some super exotic v10 sound .

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Why would it cost 5k? BMW kits are under 3k....

Reactions
Why would it cost 5k? BMW kits are under 3k....
OK....so 3k "or a little under 3k" is still too much to pay for sound change . Straight piping this platform doesn't make it sound any better . The ST needs some sort of muffler / resonator combo to sound decent .

For your reference , I just ordered me a new G80 M3 Competition and those Armytrix are way over 3k so that is the reason behind my 5k comment . By the way , I don't see any Armytrix for an F80 / G80 M3 for under 3k . Hard to compare pricing on a basic BMW kit to what a kit for the ST would cost on such a lower demand . If Armytrix even decided to go through with the R&D on designing a kit , the cost for it would outway the demand and that would scrap that idea .

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Just throw some electric cut-outs in it for a few hundred bucks and call it a day.

Reactions
Just throw some electric cut-outs in it for a few hundred bucks and call it a day.
Exactly and you don't spend thousands of dollars for that exact same result !

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
2022 Ford Bronco Raptor uses a true dual-exhaust system with active-valve technology. Along with electronically actuated valves, near equal-length pipes provide an improved exhaust note.

Wonder if these would be able to be transferred to our platform?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have a valvetronic exhaust on my ST and it’s perfect for everyday. I drive cross country once or twice a year and wanted something that wouldn’t drone and I’m really happy how this turned out.

Reactions
How loud is the valvetronic exhaust when it's fully opened? Also, what was the cost?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The system was approximately $650 and then install was $300 without tips, I hadn’t decided on a set when I got the exhaust so I ran it without tips for a while.
This is how the exhaust sounds, first open second rev closed 3rd open again.

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Forgive my ears but those all sounded the same.

Reactions
Do you control opening the valves with a remote, or do you have a control on the dash? I'm looking at installing the QTP cutcouts.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
It’s through a wireless remote that I paired to the home link buttons, one button to open the valves the other to close them.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
How does it sound under load

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Savage Garage haha the same setup on their ST this video might give you a better idea of how it sounds.

Reactions
You could make something work with 6th gen camaro dual mode mufflers, but a cutout would probably work better.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Reactions
Savage Garage haha the same setup on their ST this video might give you a better idea of how it sounds.
Did you remove your mid suitcase muffler and do an x-pipe like that savage garage video? any drone with valves open or closed?

Last edited:
OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #20
Actually a really good video. Thanks for the recommendation.