Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Upgrading the sound by adding a Sub and Amp

HMuldrew

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Has anyone tried to install/upgrade their sound?

I just received my 2023 ST, first stop I went to was to upgrade the sound. I have a small 10 inch sub and a 1k watt amp that did the job well in a previous vehicle, so I assumed it would transfer well to the ST.

I got it installed by a local business, and they claim that the system isn’t communicating well enough with the amp/sub combo, and that I need extra parts to make the bass hit harder(link below). It’s installed now, I barely feel the increased bass and the power from the amp. When you turn up the amp, there’s this pound buzzing sound from the sun, that never happened before.

PAC Amplifier Integration Interface AmpPRO Ford Bronco 2021+ & Ford F-150 (All Trim Levels) 2018-2021 B&O Fits Factory Amplified Systems (AP4-FD31) https://a.co/d/1Bo8aAx

has anyone else experienced this? Should I get a second opinion?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Find a new installer. If you are just filling in the bottom end, you just need to grab the signal from the stock sub to LOC/amp/sub.

Last edited:
OP
HMuldrew

HMuldrew

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
@mcglsr2
I skimmed through your post, and will dive in a little deeper soon, I wish I had the skillset to do all that myself, but I ended up going to a bigger named shop here, and they laid it out two paths, the cheap way, or the expensive way.
I was told they changed the system from the 2022->2023 model, due to their software not working properly to tune the B&O system, so the first guy I went to was set-up to fail. I ended up going the expensive way, because I refuse to half ass this vehicle.

Cheap way: Get the ANC disconnected or "Bypassed", and we can route things that way, but the cabin noise increases.
Expensive way: Get an Amplifier replacement interface + New 8 channel amp.

Here is what was put in, or something very similar. I'm going off the receipt
Amplifier Replacement Interface: https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT889/zen-a2b-dsp12a-a2b.html
Amplifier: https://www.jlaudio.com/products/xd800-8v2-car-audio-xd-amplifiers-98259

The sound is absolutely amazing, it has just enough bump, and its so LOUD and crisp, that I have no need to play these anywhere near max, and the installer suggested I don't.

OP
HMuldrew

HMuldrew

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
If anyone would like a video of the sound, let me know!

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
If anyone would like a video of the sound, let me know!
Videos of sound are pointless. All anyone will hear is what their playback device is capable of.

OP
HMuldrew

HMuldrew

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Videos of sound are pointless. All anyone will hear is what their playback device is capable of.
You’re not wrong, just wanted to offer lol.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I have a build log posted here…it covers several iterations of my ongoing build. The further it gets the more extreme it gets. lol

OP
HMuldrew

HMuldrew

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
I have a build log posted here…it covers several iterations of my ongoing build. The further it gets the more extreme it gets. lol
Oh I definitely saw, Ive skimmed it a few times, youve done us a great service with your on going build, I love it. Lol

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
@mcglsr2
I skimmed through your post, and will dive in a little deeper soon, I wish I had the skillset to do all that myself...
Don't sell yourself short :) It sounds really hard when you talk about it, and when you think about all that has to come off it sounds really hard, but in practice...it's actually totally doable. It's mostly just popping panels off. It's really not too bad all. But I totally get wanting a pro to do it. Sometimes, it's just not worth the time or effort!

OP
HMuldrew

HMuldrew

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST

AMineoST

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Do you know if they had to run new wires to each speaker using the a2b? Also, which factory sound system did you have? The base or BO 14 speaker?